11-21-2012, 08:32 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Well, I am not a bowl latherer, but I received a traveling scuttle from the other forum recently. It is getting cold here in New England and the warm lather sure feels good. I still mostly face lather and use the scuttle to keep the brush warm. The traveling scuttle is not a DB unit. It is much more crude, but it is an effective one piece scuttle with a bowl about the size of the standard DB scuttle. After using it I started reading about scuttles here and elsewhere and found the DB Scuttle, the Movie. I love hand thrown pottery and just could not resist ordering one from Julie. I will not receive mine until January according to her because of holiday orders she has. Still, I am very excited to have one in the making for me. I think her work is outstanding based on the pictures and reviews I read. I ordered the original (one piece) with regular spiral bowl. Berry rim on blue. Can't wait. On one hand I am very happy that an artisan can be so busy as to have a waiting list, but on the other hand my instant gratification gland is gnawing at me... I am sure I will survive.

Will post a picture of mine when it arrives.

25 1,705
 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM
User Info
I'll look forward to seeing pictures of yours when it arrives, which I hope will be sooner rather than later. My DB is probably one of my two favorites scuttles, along with my Moss, and definitely my favorite big one. Although the DBs take up a lot of counter space, they really do a fantastic job keeping the lather warm.

183 12,002
 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(11-21-2012, 08:42 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I'll look forward to seeing pictures of yours when it arrives, which I hope will be sooner rather than later. My DB is probably one of my two favorites scuttles, along with my Moss, and definitely my favorite big one. Although the DBs take up a lot of counter space, they really do a fantastic job keeping the lather warm.

I ordered the original instead of 1.5 specifically to reduce counter space requirement. I have tight quarters in my nook. Still, I think there is a certain amount of thermal mass that needs to be there in order for scuttle to work as a warmer. This requires material, in this case clay. the more clay the more heat mass, the longer the heat is retained. Can't go around laws of physics, so the size of a scuttle is probably proportional to how well it keeps things warm. The traveling scuttle I got right now is nice and heavy and works pretty well. It is not huge around, which I like. The required amount of clay can be arranged so as not to be so big around, but most bowl latherers prefer larger bowls. I am not a bowl latherer, so I can do with a smaller bowl, more like a brush scuttle, but I think most brush scuttles are too small to be effective. Not sure about the DB one, but I just figured I would get a lather scuttle, but the smaller one.

I also hope it arrives sooner than later as I only plan to use it in the cold months. At least that's the theory. Who knows, once I use it I will become a devoted bowl latherer and order the 1.5.

I will post portraits when it arrives.

25 1,705
 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Regrettably I had to cancel my DB order. I ordered a G5 in hamada scuttle from GP, which is supposed to arrive in a week or two and I simply can not afford to pay for both right now. I am hoping to replace my order with Julie as I absolutely love her work. As for now I will have to see if G5 will work for me. I really like the G5. It's a very different style, but also very beautiful. I really want to have a scuttle as soon as possible since the weather is cold now and GP seemed to be available sooner while still getting great reviews.

Just wanted to update the thread.

25 1,705
 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That's to bad as Julie makes excellent scuttles. And the color choice you chose looks great in person. I know, my DB 1.5 is that color.

Good luck with the G5.

173 23,486
 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
I had a G5 and it was a fine scuttle and doubled as a brush scuttle.

Biggest improvement suggestion I can offer is get rid of the rubber cork and get a natural cork. The rubber kept popping out and wouldn't stay in place whereas the natural was rock solid

8 2,718
 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(12-05-2012, 05:53 PM)Johnny Wrote: That's to bad as Julie makes excellent scuttles. And the color choice you chose looks great in person. I know, my DB 1.5 is that color.

Good luck with the G5.

Yes, I know. I was sorry to have to cancel, but the G5 arrived yesterday and I have some expenses. Maybe in the future. I used the G5 this morning and it didn't keep the lather warm as long as the traveling scuttle I got from the other forum. I may just sell it and get one Julie's. I really like her work and I agree, the color of the one I chose and you have is very, very nice. I may have made a mistake, but I really can't stand the idea of cold lather until mid-January. I have not made up my mind about G5. It's not as nice in person as it is on their website, which is a little disconcerting. It has a different design of a bowl and the glaze is not exactly super smooth. Has an orange peel texture in places (I am talking about the outer clear glaze, not the color one). I may contact GP and ask if they sent me the correct piece. It just seems very different from the one in photos on their site. So I am a little disappointed.

25 1,705
 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
  • A28
User Info
im waiting on my db scuttle to show should be here tomorrow i hopeBiggrin

3 316
 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
You know I think she does custom Glazes on her stuff too. You might ask around. I've seen folks with her stuff that aren't of the colors she advertises. One member had a real dark blue. Absolutely amazing. She does do beautiful work.

I've got a TSN Bill Bowl on order from her. Should be getting it after the first of the year as well.

14 1,177