11-22-2012, 03:18 AM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
I seem to have a chronic ingrown hair problem when I shave my legs. It's the worst around the backs of my thighs, but I get them pretty much everywhere. They tend to be worse if I haven't shaved in a long time but there doesn't seem to be a time when I don't get them.

Recently I've been shaving in the bath but it doesn't seem to have effected the ingrown hair situation. I'm starting to think that maybe it's from my jeans rubbing against my legs but I'm not going to spend a few weeks in the winter wearing skirts with no tights to test that theory out.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize this problem?

0 26
 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM
User Info
Seems your skin isn't allowing the hair to grow out.
Do a Moroccan bath (same as Syrian or Turkish bath). If not accessible buy a rough loofa and scrub away the dead skin till your skin turns red.

Thank me later.

0 193
 11-22-2012, 02:49 PM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
I'll give the the loofa thing a try, but I tend to have sensitive skin so it may not go well. I'll check back in once I've gotten a hold of a loofa and actually gotten around to shaving my legs.

Would you recommend using the loofa before or after shaving?

0 26
 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
User Info
Some information as to how you're shaving would be valuable.

32 6,308
 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM
User Info
(11-22-2012, 03:18 AM)Faelan Wrote: I seem to have a chronic ingrown hair problem when I shave my legs. It's the worst around the backs of my thighs, but I get them pretty much everywhere. They tend to be worse if I haven't shaved in a long time but there doesn't seem to be a time when I don't get them.

Recently I've been shaving in the bath but it doesn't seem to have effected the ingrown hair situation. I'm starting to think that maybe it's from my jeans rubbing against my legs but I'm not going to spend a few weeks in the winter wearing skirts with no tights to test that theory out.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize this problem?

If you're using a multiblade razor, using a single blade razor should take care of it.

It's hard for me to picture clothing causing that problem. For instance, men with ingrown facial hairs do not wear anything on their face so I think the razor is the problem.

I shave after taking a shower and don't use a multiblade razor, so perhaps if you shaved after the bath that would be beneficial.

0 282
 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I don't shave my legs, so I really can't provide any answers....but I will say this: I get them fairly often on my legs as well, only in areas where the clothing is tighter (tops of thighs where jeans are tight while sitting, hips where pants rub constantly), so I can see where clothing could be a contributing factor

10 411
 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM
User Info
Since ingrown hairs are caused by the cut hairs re-entering the skin, the solution would be to make sure the cut hairs grow outward.

Exfoliation in between the shaves would probably be highly beneficial as Hedonist recommended.

Since no jeans are out, not much suggestions in the clothing department.

You could try leaving the hair longer, but that would probably defeat the point of shaving your legs to begin with.

So, Hedonist's suggestions are probably your best bet so far.

9 2,988
 11-22-2012, 09:44 PM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
I've been shaving with a DE for a number of months now but I could definitely believe that my method isn't great yet and could be a contributing factor. I think I tend to use too much pressure because I seem to have a really hard time with the finer hair on my legs, the blade seems to want to just glide over them.

I still get ingrowns even when I haven't been shaving so I think I might just be prone to them, but I'm definitely going to try exfoliating.

0 26
 11-22-2012, 10:33 PM
User Info
OK, DE razor is what I was looking for and I wasn't going to guess or probe in the dark. Too much pressure will cause you to see blood, not ingrowns. But reduce pressure anyway. Biggrin If the skin is deforming under the razor you have too much pressure. The razor and blade needs to caress the skin.

Are you going with the grain or against? If against, give that up. Try to leave longer stubble. See how that works. Let us know.

Re: shaving, ingrowns are caused by the hair being cut below the skin surface. It gets confused as to which way is the exit and an ingrown results. But I see no reason a hair can't get broken by brittleness and the same result ensue. A moisturizer might also help. Try glycerine added in small quantities to something innocuous, a tablespoon or 2 to a pint of witch hazel would do it. Or a smaller amount added to a smaller amount of water would have the same effect. You don't want to make so much as to have it spoil if that's possible. Use the mix at least after every wash.

Edit:
I just read the part where the razor glides over the hair w/o cutting. What blade and razor are you using? But I'm thinking it's just technique. If the razor is held at the right angle to allow the blade to scrape the skin, it'll cut the hair. If the angle is off the blade doesn't touch the skin and the hair won't get cut.

A single edge razor is actually easier to use because of the loud audible feedback they make when everything is being done correctly. If you don't hear it the angle is off. A GEM Contour, Featherweight, or H-Bar are mild as far as SE razors go and will absolutely not break the bank. They aren't available new, only used or New Old Stock. It might not solve the ingrowns, but it will allow easy feedback as far as technique and fine hair removal.

32 6,308
 11-23-2012, 12:40 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Do you use a shaving brush to apply lather? You might want to try a scrubby exfoliating brush to lift the hairs.
Also, you might want to give cold water shaving a try to see if that works.

Next to that, clothing can cause ingrown hairs because of the rubbing on your skin.

5 447
 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM
User Info
(11-22-2012, 06:24 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: I don't shave my legs, so I really can't provide any answers....but I will say this: I get them fairly often on my legs as well, only in areas where the clothing is tighter (tops of thighs where jeans are tight while sitting, hips where pants rub constantly), so I can see where clothing could be a contributing factor

Since I sit all day at work, I tend to get them on the backs of my thighs and nowhere else on my legs.

0 13
 11-25-2016, 01:14 PM
User Info
I have had this issue since I've moved from WI to VA. I only have this problem in the cooler months. I'm not sure what the difference is. At first I went to the Dr. She gave me a steroid cream (did no help) then an antibiotic (did not help) told me to try anti acne soap (did not help) and then suggested a retinol lotion (also did nothing)
When the weather warmed up for good in the summer they went away. I was able to wear shorts without shame. But again it is happening again for the third year. WI is colder so I do t think that it is directly the weather, Perhaps the humidity? Which is higher here! Other than that I really don't know the cause or healing! I would be excited to find out if you've found one to share?!

0 1