11-22-2012, 10:49 AM
User Info
Hi, does anyone have experience with Mystic Water shaving soaps? (performance, smell, post shave, pros, cons)

10 605
 11-22-2012, 10:52 AM
User Info
No experience myself, but Celestino loves them so much that they are on my list of must try soaps.

I won't be buying any for a while though. I just bought 6-8 tubs of RazoRock XXX to ease the pain of having to buy AdP instead. And on top of that, I bought some Mike's Naturals.

Not good for the wallet.

9 2,988
 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM
User Info
I find Mystic Water soap to be a fantastic performer, with great scents and excellent lather. Some find it tricky to dial in but honestly, there are very few soaps I have that are easier to lather.

My favorite scents are lily of the valley, sandalwood, prospect creek (peppermint) and rosalimone (lemon rose).

0 836
 11-22-2012, 11:23 AM
User Info
Horacio,
As Lee has mentioned, i really enjoy Mystic Water soaps!
The scents are fantastic. My favourite is Bay Rum.
Like Pat has stated, i find them very easy to lather and their post-shave properties are phenomenal!
You need to be a bit careful with using hot water as they don't like it so much. i would highly recommend them as they are just as great as Mike's Soaps. These two are my favourite soaps.

75 20,883
 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
User Info
I love the scent of the Sandalwood Rose. In fact, I think I'll use it tonight

31 1,800
 11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
I bought the Sandalwood Rose and Lime scents and they both failed miserably for me. These soaps, from what I know from another forum, have very mixed reviews and seem very dependent on water type. Celestino, I know loves them, and I wish I could have got them to perform, but all I got was evaporating lather no matter what I tried. Even though I was shaving with suds or a soap free skin most of the time, somehow I still managed to get an amazing after feel. The scents are amazing but there are way too many soaps around that perform flawlessly for me. I binned my two MW soaps in the end out of sheer frustration!

31 4,957
 11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
(11-22-2012, 11:23 AM)celestino Wrote: Horacio,
As Lee has mentioned, i really enjoy Mystic Water soaps!
The scents are fantastic. My favourite is Bay Rum.
Like Pat has stated, i find them very easy to lather and their post-shave properties are phenomenal!
You need to be a bit careful with using hot water as they don't like it so much. i would highly recommend them as they are just as great as Mike's Soaps. These two are my favourite soaps.

Ok, sounds fair enough to me, thanks Celestino!

10 605
 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM
User Info
I, too, have read very many mixed reviews. With my hard water I'll be avoiding this one as I have plenty of other soaps that aren't finicky.

31 7,914
 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The only soap I've ever tossed out.

116 3,804
 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
It's one of my favorites. 3 tubs in my den right now and I could easily add more.

It has the best post shave feel of any product I have used.

It's only know, is it does not like heat. So no scuttle or hot water in my use.

Great scents, fantastic service from Michelle (the owner) and super prices and shipping.

For $15 shipped, it's worth trying a tub.

8 2,718
 11-22-2012, 02:36 PM
User Info
The work fine but I never took to them. Would look at them and choose DRH, they were all PIF'ed.

2 697
 11-22-2012, 02:56 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Her scents are amazing and there is a wider array of choices compared to Mike's...the performance however for me was way below Mike's and I traded my puck for something better. I've tried dozens of soaps and never had a problem with any of them except modern William's and Mystic Water..and ironically I have the same issue with both..no matter how much product I use or how much I play with ratios I end up with foamy/bubbly lather that gives a somewhat decent shave but nothing special.

31 1,510
 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
funny how everyone get's different results and feedback. be it a $10 soap like MW or a $60 soap like MdC or a $40 cream like CF....some will love it, some will hate it.

i used Lavender/Lime this morning and it couldn't have been better...well, i guess if i was able to scuttle it, that would have been nice Biggrin

8 2,718
 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
User Info
Bruce, when you use scuttle as a verb I can only think of its naval use which given some people's experience can also be appropriate. Given your affinity for MW it may deserve a better term that might not be looked upon negatively. Winky

31 7,914
 11-22-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
Lads, next time you can just PIF me the soaps instead of throwing them away! Hee hee.
Mystic Water and Mike's have the best post-shave protection that i have tried although i have limited experience with soaps. i only wish you gents could get the lather i get with them. Cheers and enjoy the food, today!

75 20,883
 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
User Info
Like Celestino said...if you are going to garbage it, ask around. MW has many loyal followers that would be willing to take it off your hands and/or trade for it....myself be one too.

Ha...sorry Brian. I was in the Navy and when I use the term "scuttle" now, I am referring to "lathering" Biggrin

8 2,718
 11-22-2012, 06:08 PM
User Info
Ok, I will try them and if I have terrible results (hope not), I will let you know in order not to toss them away, and send them to you.

10 605
 11-23-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
I have been hit and miss with good lathers, last night being a miss.
I remember seeing someone say it doesn't like a lot of water, so having time I wanted to do a test lather this morning.

I used that same brush as last night and rather than soaking just gave it a 5 second rinse under the water, 1 shake to rid water from brush and 1 shake on the soap. 30 second load

[Image: 9ee8042a713e75677da3da07af9c6733.jpg]

about a minute to build lather adding a few drops of water twice.
I had a much better and more usable, cushioned lather. I left it on long enough to know I could have completed my pass with no issues.

It might work for those who are about ready to give up.

[Image: af34c217cef8e273907a7d63776e27dc.jpg]

31 1,800
 11-25-2012, 03:05 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I normally lather my hard soaps by starting with a brush that is pretty dry, carefully adding water in tiny bits. When I used this approach with Mystic Water soap, I got dry, airy lather.

Starting with a wetter brush and adding more liberal bits of water along the way, I get good lather with Mystic Water. It took me awhile to get Mike's Natural Soap figured out, so I'm still experimenting with this one. A tallow-based soap with a natural lime scent makes points with me, but I still haven't decided if Mystic Water is a favorite.

- Murray

4 1,150
 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Having only tried two samples thus far, the Bay Rum was way too perfumey/musky for me to even try to apply to my face and the Irish Traveler made for a lather that was good, but nowhere near the same class as some of the other artisan soaps that I enjoy (RazoRock, Queen Charlotte). I will say that the scents are stronger than most if that is a major factor in your grading.

127 2,393