11-22-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
I've been experimenting with pomades, both classical and new. The difference is in their composition. The older ones are petroleum-based, hold better & are difficult to wash out. The newer ones are less versatile, less fun & but, water-soluble, easy to wash out.

II.

Does adding a light oil to a mess of heavy oil lighten the load? I remember, when researching the Oil Cleansing Method, that "Oil removes oil" - I think.

I'd like to use this to my advantage in removing these thick pomades from my hair. Will adding something like mineral oil break down the thick petroleum in a product like Murray's Superior? - washing it easier to wash out?

0 257
 11-22-2012, 01:58 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
If I recall right Murrays allready has Mineral Oil in it, so I don't know if that will work.

I use my girlfriends shampoo conditioner. The conditioner you apply in the shower, let sit for a few minutes and then rinse off. It does wonders. Any type will work really

5 447
 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
I haven't used pomade in years but back in the 60's the routine was when you pomaded your hair it would take a few days to wash out. You can speed the process by using lanolin and dish detergent. I used to work lanolin in my hair and use Joy Lemon to wash it after when I was a teenager

2 697
 11-22-2012, 02:50 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I gave my input on this when you asked basically the same question here.

Yes it will work, as will using Groom & Clean (my favorite method as it's less messy) and allow it to sit for 30-45 minutes to "melt" the old pomade out and then a good shampooing (strong shampoo or Dawn) will remove any leftover pomade.

31 1,510
 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM
User Info
Arc., thanks for your input, as a result of which I bought some C&G.

Surprisingly, after greasing up my hand with Murray's, I rubbed some G&C on, and it rinsed right off. Crazy.

I love this product.

I noticed you use heavy pomades, like Murray's Superior.

So you apply G&C to it, let it sit, and rinse - or wash?

II.

Given that it has some grease-cutting agent in it, is G&C at all bad for the hair? I don't want it to all fall out over some chemical!

(11-22-2012, 02:50 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I gave my input on this when you asked basically the same question here.

Yes it will work, as will using Groom & Clean (my favorite method as it's less messy) and allow it to sit for 30-45 minutes to "melt" the old pomade out and then a good shampooing (strong shampoo or Dawn) will remove any leftover pomade.

0 257
 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Nothing bad in it that I know if, in fact is has lanolin which is good for your skin and scalp (unless you're allergic to it). Whether you rinse or wash after using G&C is up to you..I only use G&C at the end of the week to do a full strip down to remove all pomade that's built up through the week and I usually wash with a strong clarifying shampoo or some plain blue Dawn dish soap. If you like the heavy pomades that are awesome bargains, check out Dax High & Tight Awesome Hold..it comes in a camouflage colored can and is a little like Wave & Groom and Murray's but easier to work into your hair, has a but more shine and has a sandalwood/lavender like scent, never can decide which it is...runs like $3-4 a can, great stuff.

31 1,510
 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
Sounds like an EXCELLENT product.

Speaking of Lavender, have you tried Yardley's Pomade/Brillantine?

G&C worked amazingly well for me.

Thanks.

(11-22-2012, 08:40 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Nothing bad in it that I know if, in fact is has lanolin which is good for your skin and scalp (unless you're allergic to it). Whether you rinse or wash after using G&C is up to you..I only use G&C at the end of the week to do a full strip down to remove all pomade that's built up through the week and I usually wash with a strong clarifying shampoo or some plain blue Dawn dish soap. If you like the heavy pomades that are awesome bargains, check out Dax High & Tight Awesome Hold..it comes in a camouflage colored can and is a little like Wave & Groom and Murray's but easier to work into your hair, has a but more shine and has a sandalwood/lavender like scent, never can decide which it is...runs like $3-4 a can, great stuff.

0 257
 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM
User Info
If Groom and Clean isn't strong enough I've found another method.

I use about a half cup of plain old vegetable oil and let it soak in my hair for about 10 minutes before I wash my hair with Ivory soap. It usually takes 2 or 3 washes but it washes everything out cleanly.

This method washes out the heaviest pomades and even Murray's Black Beeswax.

1 283
 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
To remove the heavy pomades, I usually use Groom and Clean combed in and let it sit about half an hour, followed by a Dawn Original blue dish detergent wash followed by shampoo and conditioner. Kind of like a diminishing abrasives car detailing polish if you are familiar with that. This all works fine but the dish detergent is harsh to the hair and the whole process is time consuming.

A couple of weeks ago, I was given the Wen hair care system from a female co-worker who did not want it any longer. It's a conditioner based cleanser that is supposed to have no detergents, surfactants, etc. and it's supposed to leave the hair in great condition. Well, wacky infomercial or not........it works.

What is ALSO works for came as a huge surprise....it will remove grease/wax based pomades in most cases with one usage. Worst case, say, a huge dose of Murray's in the hair and then two washings with the Wen remove all traces of the pomade.

YMMV surely but I'm very happy that this works and leaves my hair like silk. Now, the $37 price tag is equal to a lot of shave soap but what the heck, it works and it works well and it leaves my hair in good condition plus it saves time. Priceless. Smile

6 905
 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
I use pure olive oil bar soap prior to my usual Shampoo and that works pretty well for me.

1 561