11-24-2012, 11:16 AM
User Info
The common advice when one first starts shaving with DE razors is to get a sample pack or two and start experimenting with different blades to find what you like before you start stocking up. So I started out that way, beginning with two sample packs that were given to me along with the Merkur 38M that started me on this journey.

Not one to do anything half-hearted, I started accumulating more blades to try, to the point where I have, or have had, a total of 48 different blades. I should be able to find something I like in that group, right? The problem is, I'm finding too many that I like and I still have 25 of those yet to try.

The other "problem", is that when I started finding ones I really like, i started buying them. Many of them. I now have over 2000 blades. The blades that I really like, and now have quantities greater than 100 each, are:

Rapira - Swedish Supersteel - 100
Astra - Super Platinum - 100
Ladas - Super Stainless - 265
Personna - Lab - 300
Voskhod - 910

Of sample packs I have already tried, I have 85 blades. Of those I have yet to try, I have over 250.

But I still have 25 more blades to try, including some highly regarded blades such as all the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades, Feathers, Perma-Sharp, Personna Meds, and Wilkinson Swords. What if I find a few more I like?

I think I'm going to finish out the year trying the rest of my Lord brands (Racer, Shark Super Chrome & Super Platinum, and Lord Platinum Class), then take a break from sampling blades and start pairing up what I've stocked up on with the 20 DE razors I have.

Where are you on your blade sampling journey?

In case you're curious, here's what I've tried:

Voskhod Teflon Coated
Supermax Platinum
Personna Lab
Polsilver Super Stainless
Sputnik Teflon
Iridium Super Extra Stainless
Schick Plus Platinum
Rapira Super Stainless
Supermax Super Platinum
Dorco Family Dollar Brand
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Ladas Super Stainless
Astra Super Platinum
Supermax Blue Diamond Plat
Laser Super Stainless
Laser Super Platinum
Derby Extra Super Stainless
Swann Morton Skin Graft Blade
7 A.M. Hi Platinum Durablade
Star Vintage
Perfect Blade Vintage
Rapira Platinum Lux
Racer Super Stainless

And here's what I have yet to try (that I own):

Bic Chrome Platinum
Blade Man DE Edge Blue Blades - vintage
Bolzano Superinox
Dorco ST-301 New Platinum
Ever Ready Super Stainless - vintage
Feather Hi-Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Plat - Black
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Plat - Blue
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge - Yellow
Gillette 7 O'Clock Stainless - Green
Gillette Goal Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Lord Platinum Class
Merkur Super Platinum
Perma-Sharp Super Stainless
Personna Med Prep
Personna Israeli Blue DE
Personna Platinum (Red)
Personna Barber
Rapira Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Super Platinum
Treet Double Edge Blade
Treet Dura Sharp
Wilkinson Swords

0 836
 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM
User Info
If you lack storage space or time to try them all, send them to me and I will relieve you of your burden. Enjoy the shaves!

15 316
 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's a lot of blades!

45 3,955
 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
Fair warning, there are some good blades in your yet to try pile Biggrin

31 1,800
 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
You must really love those Voskhods! Biggrin
I'll admit that I have tried most of them and I am done! I am convinced that there is a blade for every razor. I am also convinced that some of the blades were made for paint scraping and I will never look at them again. My go to: Iridiums, 7 o'clock blacks, Silver blues. Still in the running and used occasionally: Ladas, Voskhods, 7 o'clock blues. Dead to me forever: Dorcos, Derbys.

88 4,233
 11-24-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
(11-24-2012, 11:20 AM)slackskin Wrote: If you lack storage space or time to try them all, send them to me and I will relieve you of your burden. Enjoy the shaves!

Thankfully, they don't take up much space!

(11-24-2012, 11:24 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Fair warning, there are some good blades in your yet to try pile Biggrin

That's what I'm afraid of.

(11-24-2012, 11:32 AM)beartrap Wrote: You must really love those Voskhods! Biggrin
I'll admit that I have tried most of them and I am done! I am convinced that there is a blade for every razor.

Oh I do! They excel in every category I rate them on, and work great in every razor I've tried them in. To your point about a blade for every razor, that's what I think I'm going after in 2013. In 2012, my focus was on trying different blades in my main razor, the 38M, and later in my second favorite razor, the Old Type. In 2013 I want to start changing up the razor and finding out what works best in each one, and figure out what razors I can get rid of. I didn't plan on collecting them but here I sit with 20 of them. I hope to get rid of half of them in the course of finding blades for them. Of course, I've been enjoying buying them at antique stores, so I'll be acquiring more I'm sure.

0 836
 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Pat, I agree that there is a blade for every razor. I did a lot of research on the WS sites and picked 9 blades. I had a couple more PIFed to me. I was kind of going haphazard through them but decided it was too muddled so I am currently doing blade tests w 3 razors in a round robin fashion. I made a chart with the rotation of blades staggered where I had a different blade in each razor. 3 shaves each rated 1-10. I am into the 3rd shave of the 1st round. Quite scientific I thought......Trouble is I just ordered a Shick Krona. Guess I'll just run a separate test on that razor... Till I get the red tip and the slim and the Cadet I want... See where I'm going...lol

5 1,151
 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Well, if you're doing three passes you could try three different blades for each shave . . . and no one says you have to limit yourself to one shave a day. Biggrin

0 62
 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
User Info
(11-24-2012, 04:29 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Pat, I agree that there is a blade for every razor. I did a lot of research on the WS sites and picked 9 blades. I had a couple more PIFed to me. I was kind of going haphazard through them but decided it was too muddled so I am currently doing blade tests w 3 razors in a round robin fashion. I made a chart with the rotation of blades staggered where I had a different blade in each razor. 3 shaves each rated 1-10. I am into the 3rd shave of the 1st round. Quite scientific I thought......Trouble is I just ordered a Shick Krona. Guess I'll just run a separate test on that razor... Till I get the red tip and the slim and the Cadet I want... See where I'm going...lol

I have been on that journey ... Biggrin

1 2,827
 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM
User Info
I"m starting to think that what I should do after going through all these blades, is limit myself to 5 or 6 blades (I hear you snickering) and if I pick up a razor that doesn't work well with any of them, then get rid of the razor, unless it's something really special.

Well it's a thought, anyway.

0 836
 11-24-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
(11-24-2012, 05:09 PM)5Savages Wrote: I"m starting to think that what I should do after going through all these blades, is limit myself to 5 or 6 blades (I hear you snickering) and if I pick up a razor that doesn't work well with any of them, then get rid of the razor, unless it's something really special.

Well it's a thought, anyway.
Let us know when you get done going through all those blades. We will send more for you to try, since by then there will be more blades available and RBAD is never satisfied until all available blades have been tried. Biggrin

1 345
 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM
User Info
Pat, wow, you have plenty of work to do. Hee hee. Good luck.

75 20,883
 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM
User Info
I don't envy you at all!

I was testing blades for 1 1/2 years and at the end I was burnt out. It became a chore and no longer fun. I still enjoyed my shaves, I just wanted the journey to be over. Thankfully, for me it is.

2000 blades... not terrible. They'll hold their value if you ever need to cash them in. It could be much worse.

32 6,308
 11-24-2012, 10:11 PM
User Info
(11-24-2012, 08:13 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I was testing blades for 1 1/2 years and at the end I was burnt out. It became a chore and no longer fun. I still enjoyed my shaves, I just wanted the journey to be over. Thankfully, for me it is.

That's a great way to describe it, and why I think I'm going to take a break from it in '13, before it does become a too much of a chore. I used to be excited to try a new blade for the first time, but now other nuances of shaving interest me. I'm sure throughout the year I'll get the urge to try something new and break out a new brand here and there.

0 836
 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have a lot of sampler blades and I am going to test them too.

After reading GDCarrington's Blade Challenge II, I have to say I was impressed.

My testing will be similar but, I am lucky in that I do not have sensitive skin, don't get a lot of cuts or nicks and never get an ingrown hair.

I just want to see what is "The Best" Blade for me and then after I do that ... I will figure out what is "The Best" Blade for my 30 or so DEs.

But, hopefully I will get 10 or so good blades and just buy a 100 of each and then, move on.

As I still am looking at creams, soaps, shaving sticks and brushes.

1 819
 11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
I just went with Feather's and never looked back.

0 30