11-25-2012, 07:18 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
After a few months of buying, selling, trading, being happy, sad, underwhelmed, overwhelmed, dismayed, shocked, elated, perplexed, annoyed, etc..., I've decided to throw in the towel for a while.

It took a while, but I've finally got my small "collection" of brushes put together. For me, that means that any brush I grab, I'm going to like...as opposed to having some brushes that I simply don't like or use...or ones that have obvious shortcomings.

Are there better brushes out there? Of course...but there are also far worse. Am I going to continue spending hundreds of dollars to chase after the better ones? Not anytime soon.

Here's what I've learned - at least for me - you eventually get to a place of diminishing returns...and I believe that I have arrived.

Everyone defines a "good brush" differently. I have found that I like certain characteristics more than others - and some of the characteristics I dislike very much, other people adore. So as in many things in the wet shaving experience, YMMV.

So here we go - after going through a good number of brushes - including many of the "usual suspects" from Simpson, Rooney, Thater Shavemac, Vulfix, M&F, Semogue, Omega, etc...I've chosen the following.

24mm - Simpson Duke 3 Butterscotch 2 Band
26mm - Simpson 59 2 Band
28mm - Simfix Carnane 2 Band
30mm - Rooney Heritage 3XL
32mm - Simpson Chubby 3 Super

My bowl lathering brush - which I actually very rarely bowl lather - is my Rudy Vey 2 Band 31mm with a 4" Curly Koa handle (which I haven't been able to sell, so I guess I'll just keep it).

Smaller brushes - including the amazing 22mm Ehshan and a 22mm Rooney Finest - have not made the final cut - only because I don't find myself ever reaching for anything smaller than the Duke 3. The Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 brushes are also great - but I find myself just liking taller handles.

Granted, I may "play" around with some of the "less expensive" offerings - just to compare and have some fun, but this $200+ a brush stuff is over for now.

29 466
 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Looks like a great lineup! That D3 looks out of place there, you know what to do with it if you decide to let it go. Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM
User Info
Hi Tom: I admire your self-control - I wish I could do the same. Of course I have to mention that you bought three of those brushes from me, as well as other brushes that didn't make the cut. On the other hand, I bought a whole bunch of brushes from you too!

66 692
 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Just to let everyone know...it doesn't matter what brush you want, Bob will eventually buy it and then sell it...usually at a great price! Biggrin

29 466
 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM
User Info
I've been "outed"...

66 692
 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM
User Info
Missing a Thäter 2 band bulb Cool

I am close to where you are... now my collection is 50+ brushes and I am starting to clean out... about 10-15 will hit BST in the next month...

I will likely hang on to all Simpson 2 bands though (10 so far) as I truly like the the current hair and the different classic handle styles...

31 1,554
 11-25-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
Nice set that you've narrowed down to. I especially like the 59 2 band. I think a lot us go through the same process with brushes and DE's. The only way to determine what we each prefer is to keep trying different models until it gradually starts to become clear what works best for us.

37 2,905
 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM
User Info
I wished I had told myself the same thing ten days ago, when I pushed the button on the 2013 TSN LE. I was aiming for a void in my lineup not realizing I had formed such a opinion on what my taste is. Thank goodness this hobby has a BST forum. I think I will finish a restore and that way I will get what I like, that is if third restore is a hit.

11 235
 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Congrats on a great lineup. I admit to a bit of envy in that you've found what suits your preferences.

A fine selection, you have, for sure.

47 1,376
 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
You have a great set of top notch brushes there, the chubby 3 makes me drool! Biggrin

63 2,128