11-25-2012, 07:22 AM
User Info
I have ordered both the Monarch and Prince 2 Band brushes.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread the quality of the Monarch handle, knot and hair grade is truly excellent and no different from a Simpson or Rooney 2 Band knot in terms of softness. What I did not like about the Monarch 2 Band was the splay, i.e. the 53mm loft was too high for a knot with that density. I would have preferred the Monarch knot with a 50mm loft.

So I got the Prince 2 band: 23/47mm knot. Impressions: Handle is YMMV... it is functional but not fancy in any way. The knot is excellent! People have mentioned that the hair in the Monarch and Prince 2 bands are different. For me I do not see a difference in the hair quality or sorting, the difference is in knot density and loft. Those give this knot a very different feel: the brush is scrubby but not in a negative way, i.e. there is no scritch whatsoever, but the density and loft create a wall of badger feeling - that is comfortable though.

I had a weird issue with the knot though: when cleaning it I noticed something harsh in it that seemed not to be in synch with the overall softness of the tips. When inspecting it I found a single thick nylon bristle in the middle of the knot (as if the hair was originally tied together with nylon and then it was forgotten). I am glad I found this before I face lathered ... I cut it out by its base and no more issues. That was a quality control problem though...

Alltogether: The hair grade in both Monarch and Prince is excellent and very soft. It is comparable to Rooney Heritage, Simpson or Thäter 2 band in this regard - brushes with a much higher price point.

The handle style on both is YMMV. I find them practical but not fancy.

The knot on the Monarch is nice but splays too much (50mm loft would be perfect).

The knot of the Prince is quite dense. But not a lather hog. Its density is right inbetween a Rooney Stubby 1 and a 1XL. For a price of $60 truly a bargain. if the loft would be a bit higher, it would probably give a bit more when face lathering (again the magic 50mm). But is is comfortable to use. Only downside is the manufacturing issue with the nylon bristle that should not be but can occasionally happen I guess.

Bottom line: I will keep them both in the rotation.

Below some photos (did not let me upload some others due to size).

[attachment=8496][attachment=8498]

31 1,554
 11-25-2012, 08:09 AM
User Info
Great thoughts German. The only thing I'd add is that to my eye (and only my eye which isn't the best) the Monarch 2-band hairs are a bit thinner than the Prince 2-band hairs. I personally prefer the slight give the Monarch has (doesn't splay much for me -- different lathering styles most likely) over the scrubbier Prince. As mentioned though the hair quality is great. So pick which handle & whether you want the "Wall of Badger" or the "Padded Wall of Badger" effect!

31 7,914
 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for your inputs/impressions about these brushes , and it seems to me , that you are another joining the ranks of the WSP brushes lovers...

86 7,123
 11-25-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
Thanks for your opinions on the brushes.

75 20,883
 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
They won't replace my Rooney, Thäter and Simpson 2 Bands but are a decent alternative at a bargain price. I enjoy using them.
(11-25-2012, 05:14 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks for your inputs/impressions about these brushes , and it seems to me , that you are another joining the ranks of the WSP brushes lovers...

31 1,554
 11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
User Info
(11-25-2012, 08:56 PM)German Wrote: They won't replace my Rooney, Thäter and Simpson 2 Bands but are a decent alternative at a bargain price. I enjoy using them.
(11-25-2012, 05:14 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks for your inputs/impressions about these brushes , and it seems to me , that you are another joining the ranks of the WSP brushes lovers...

Maybe not replace, but can they play ball with them? Are they allowed on the same field?

31 7,914
 11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
  • TonyN
  • Lawrenceville, GA US
User Info
I agree that the knot on the Monarch splays too much and that a shorter loft would be ideal. Very soft tips, but not enough backbone for my liking.

I find the knot on the Prince really good for the price point. Soft tips, yet dense. It's great with a triple milled soap or a cream.

Also the handles are ok, a little on the small side.

They won't be replacing my M&F or Semogue 2-bands, but at their price point they are a great buy and will be in my rotation!

1 430
 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
User Info
It's great to read everyone's thoughts on these brushes, thanks for sharing German. Have you tried the three band version yet?

I agree with the Doc, the density is perfect on the two band monarch. Ymmv of course, but lack of flowthru and wall of badger effect are not for me. This is why I love three band brushes, backbone AND splay. We all have our preferences though, there are plenty of brushes for everyone to enjoy.

63 2,128
 11-26-2012, 04:57 AM
User Info
Not trying the 3 band. Have found my Goldilocks 3-band: Thäter Cool
(11-25-2012, 10:07 PM)cessnabird Wrote: It's great to read everyone's thoughts on these brushes, thanks for sharing German. Have you tried the three band version yet?

I agree with the Doc, the density is perfect on the two band monarch. Ymmv of course, but lack of flowthru and wall of badger effect are not for me. This is why I love three band brushes, backbone AND splay. We all have our preferences though, there are plenty of brushes for everyone to enjoy.

31 1,554
 11-26-2012, 07:12 AM
User Info
I can't argue with you there, cloudy soft tips indeed! Thäter is a great goldilocks.

(11-26-2012, 04:57 AM)German Wrote: Not trying the 3 band. Have found my Goldilocks 3-band: Thäter Cool
(11-25-2012, 10:07 PM)cessnabird Wrote: It's great to read everyone's thoughts on these brushes, thanks for sharing German. Have you tried the three band version yet?

63 2,128