11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
User Info
Do you guys prefer paddle or strap strops? Do you use the canvas and leather or just the leather?

I have had a Col. Conk canvas and leather strop with the pivoting head and it seems to be able to get the job done.

0 13
 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I use a hanging strop with poly webbing and english bridle leather for daily maintenance.

A paddle strop with balsa & Crox and Felt & Diamond spray for my touch ups.

5 447
 11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
I've made a few hanging strops out of Latigo and others out of heavy leather. They all work well. On one of the leather ones I experimented with a variety of polishes on the strop. I also use cotton weave belts that I picked up for a buck each where some are plain, and others will have Diamond spray, compounds etc. on them.
I just keep experimenting with a variety of methods. Seems there are more possible combinations to play with. Stupidly though I don't keep tract or work on just one razor to see just what differences I can feel.
But I end up with great shaves regardless.

0 772
 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM
User Info
Hanging. But paddle is easier to use for a beginner.

Hanging is more popular if that is what you're asking.

9 2,987
 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM
User Info
Hanging strop for me, Tony Millers strops to be exact.

0 56
 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I've only just recently bought a paddle strop to try, but it needs some work before it can be used.
I did do some 'practice' stropping on it though with a blade that needs honing anyway. First impressions is I like the length of a hanging strop much better.

So far I've had an Illinois #127 (i think that was the number) with a horrible nylon fabric component that I absolutely hated the feel of. The leather side was fine though, until I over oiled it
A Walking Horse 3" Horsehide with a herringbone weave cotton fabric that I love everything about, for the fabric and the leather. Has a nice, smooth, light draw.
I've made a couple of my own out of some veg tanned cowhide that I bought. Work well, with a medium draw after I sanded down the surface a bit....there were some odd shiny/hard patches
I also bought a piece of horsehide to make a couple more out of, but haven't gotten around to it yet

I want to try some genuine linen at some point, but in the mean time I'm looking for some cotton material to finish these off with, rather then poly/nylon
Suffice it to say, I'll be making more hanging strops out of the rest of the leather I have though, having one paddle strop in case of needing to travel with it is more than enough for me I think

10 411
 11-26-2012, 02:55 AM
User Info
I have several some I made myself using 4mm English natural vegetable pit tanned leather which I love to use, especially after restoration work when they finally come off the stones, my favourite a 24 inch pasted with neatsfoot oil and chromium oxide, for everyday use I use a Tony Miller Heirloom and a Kanayama Cordovan #8000 three piece linen suede and leather.

5 1,787
 11-26-2012, 03:55 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
I prefer the hanging strop, and have trimmed the lineup to two: a luscious 2.5" Neil Miller shell cordovan and a 2.5" Tony Miller, both coupled with genuine linen. I use both sides, as a rule stropping 30 strokes on linen and 60 on leather.

132 2,614
 11-26-2012, 06:28 AM
User Info
Hanging strop. I use Kanayama No.3 Leather/Suede of first choice.

31 4,954
 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have two Tony Miller strops (a Steerhide - Linnen and one with two Horsehide sides of which one side is coated with TI paste). I don't like paddle strops but I use a special made Loomstrop by a friend that's absolutely wonderful.

26 1,243
 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
I prefer a hanging strop.

I use a paddle strop with felt and CrOx as a finisher and for touchups. However, I'm getting away from CrOx and using my coticule more as a finisher and for touchups.

After owning a number of strops I have narrowed my preferences to Tony Miller premium steerhide and Walking Horse horsehide. I have 2 and 3" versions, some with linen and others cotton. I prefer the 3", but enjoy the change when I have to use the x-stroke on the 2". I'll probably get a 2 1/2" Tony Miller to check out that size.

I like to strop and normally do 50 on fabric and 100 on leather. 30/60 would probably get me the same edge, but I enjoy the process.

36 2,577
 12-01-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
I will never be without a hanging horsehide strop.

21 134