11-25-2012, 12:43 PM
User Info
Not sure how many of you guys follow F1, but today was Michael Schumacher's 2nd retirement from the sport-he has promised this is his final goodbye.

Well, I am announcing the same for me...my final retirement from the shaving brush world. My 'real' job is taking up most of my time now with new opportunities and responsibilities for me next year to help move the business forward again. I need to make sure that my family gets my full attention when I am not concentrating on the wonderful world of ironwork and restoration. Somethings have to 'give' and unfortunately it's the brush side of things.

To be honest, I come from a different era of the brush making world-one which seems a lifetime away from the current one. Attitudes towards designs and exclusivity are so much different than in my family's time and I have found that my thoughts on things are pretty antiquated now compared to others. I'm glad you guys who picked up the GYLE M7 have enjoyed the brush. We come from a different era and our thoughts, way of business and general demeanour don't fit in with the brush world of today.

All the very best for the future to everyone on here. Keep buying the heritage that my family started. It took a long time to get the name recognised as one of the very best, if not the best, as far as brushes are concerned.
Simpson always thrived on the fact that we didn't deviate from what we were good at-producing top quality handmade brushes. No more, no less. I wish Mark and his team all the very best for the future.

Gary

0 213
 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM
User Info
Well, I do follow F1, and I was sad to see Schumacher retire again. He was pretty amazing the first time around.

And I do understand where you're coming from. It's hard to find time for our hobbies in addition to the time we need to spend on our jobs and families. That's one of the reasons I'm no longer a mod on here myself - no time to devote to my duties here.

I have a GYLE, and I like it a lot. I don't have any of your original brushes, but I do have several modern Simpsons brushes, and I can say that you and your family did build something to be proud of.

It was great to see you take the time to share some of your insights on the history of Simpsons Brushes with us all. I hope you do look in on us every now and then.

All the best!

37 1,731
 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Gary, all the best and enjoy your second retirement. Schumacher doesn't have anything on you

116 3,804
 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM
User Info
You quandary is understandable, Gary. I wish you the best. I am my 65 vintage Simpson brushes will miss you input here.

185 12,010
 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Happy retirement Gary! Don't be a stranger and stop by when you have some time, always happy to see you post Smile

88 4,233
 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
I'll be down to see you at Upton Park ... and you can buy me a beer!

See you soon.

Mark

1 630
 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Schumi did come back after a few years.. you may wish to do the same.

Good luck!!

33 914
 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
Good luck, and be happy, wherever you go, Gary. I wish you the best!

2 5,532
 11-25-2012, 02:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Gary, all the best to you my friend, and your family. Your participation on our forum was appreciated more than you know.

Stop by from time to time to let us know how the business is going. We do care about the membership, not just their brushes.

Later

173 23,558
 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM
User Info
My best wishes for the future, Gary. Don't work too hard!

31 4,957
 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
I wish you all the best! Thank you so much for the information and history you provided about my small vintage Simpson brush family.

I love the M7 GYLE brushes that you and Mark created.

I will miss your insights and humor. Take care.

0 73
 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM
User Info
Gary,

Enjoy your retirement and have all the fun you can stand and maybe just a little more!

We will leave the light on for you if you need to "talk shop" again.

All the best to you and your family and see you around the forums.

Gary C

1 2,827
 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gary , Im really sorry to see you go , but I also understand.

You're going to be missed for sure.Peace and wealth for you and your love ones and farewell.

86 7,124
 11-25-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
Gary, I wish you and yours the very best. As we say in the South, "Don't be a stranger."

47 1,270
 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
User Info
Good luck to you in your endeavours!

75 20,884
 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM
User Info
Gary, enjoy yourself and the extra time with your family. That is what is most important anyway. Stop by and say hello every now and then, your input and information have made me appreciate my Simpson brushes that much more.

You really have made an impact on me with your stories of old times. I clearly remember staying up until 4 am one night last year reading your stories about the old Nimmer Mill. I could almost hear the water powered mill churning and the Somerset Chubbies coming fresh off the lathes, ready for their well respected knots of über dense badger hair. Your grandfather and father teaching you the family secrets in regards to brushmaking. I could hardly sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it all. The romance and excitment I felt that night has never left me, I LOVE my Simpson brushes and genuinely feel that the Chubby 3 in three band super is the "finest" shaving brush ever produced. I really mean that!

You're going to be missed around here more than you know buddy!

Good luck with your future endeavors Gary!

63 2,128
 11-25-2012, 11:33 PM
User Info
Gary, I wish you all the best mate.

As others have said, stop by from time to time and say hello.

It's been fantastic hearing your stories, who knows, one day someone may find the brush stamped GY on its base in the future?

7 1,179
 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
Gary, your "adieu" is high class and appreciated - and well-deserved. I am sure that all of the other Simpson's aficionados join me in expressing regret that your life just isn't accommodating enough to allow you two careers!

The ironwork and restoration world is going to be better off, and the brush world somewhat diminished because of your choice.

Thank you for your many contributions to TSD and to the hobby of shaving.

Have a great life - and come back to visit, please.

30 237
 11-26-2012, 04:17 AM
User Info
Best of luck Gary, and thanks again for all your stories, and knowledge; I'm sure I'll read something funny on twitter soon.

0 652
 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I hope that the 2nd retirement goes well for you as well Gary.

Thanks for sharing all of your historical information and insights both here and elsewhere.

If you're ever in Exeter and want to grab a coffee please feel free to give me a shout.

32 638