11-25-2012, 01:22 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I recently received this razor from the UK and finally got around to shaving with it. I was going to add to a similar thread Phil had created, but that thread was actually posted to simplyshaving and is no longer available. Phil's thoughts on this razor are preserved here:

Phil's review over there

Like Phil, I had to go looking in the UK for this razor. I have yet to see one come up on ebay in the US, and Phil's Flip-Top is the only one I've seen on the BST. Yes, he sold his to another forum member here.

I don't really consider myself a collector, but I have a little collection of razors going. I mainly enjoy acquiring razors to shave with them. The Flip-Top, however, is one I just wanted to have. I didn't expect much from it. As Phil mentions, it's a lightweight razor because of the amount of plastic used in its construction. Like Phil, I weigh mine at 54 grams. Also, the razor is a mild shaver. I think, and Phil agrees, that it's a milder shaver than the famous Wilkinson Sticky. My own tastes in razors lean toward the aggressive - think Barbasol floating head and Joris (my favorite, the Cobra, I don't consider aggressive). For me, this was one of those razors that seemed so rare and so cool, I just had to have it, regardless of how it shaves. From what I understand, this razor was the successor to the Sticky. I haven't seen any pictures of the case it came in - maybe it just came in a cheap plastic hanging container that people promptly discarded. And I don't know the years of production.

Here it is:

[Image: Fliptop4.jpg]

The handle and top cap are made of a shiny metal alloy. The logo is presented on the side of the razor near the top cap. This gray portion of the razor is plastic, as is the base plate on which the blade rests (on the left):

[Image: Fliptop8.jpg]

The lighter gray button on the side near the head releases a catch that allows the metal top cap to flip over, as seen in the pictures.

[Image: Fliptop3.jpg]

The top cap has a "hook" on it that secures it in the closed position.

[Image: Fliptop7.jpg]

I find this mechanism to be the easiest to use of any of my DEs. It is quicker than either TTO or 2 or 3 piece, you don't have any pieces to fumble like a 2 or 3 piece, and it exposes more of the inside of the head for easier cleaning than a TTO.

The blade fits on to two small bumps or guides on the base plate. Setting the blade in place is super easy.

[Image: Fliptop6.jpg]

I suppose if you wanted to "dry out" your blade between uses, this would be pretty easy with the Flip-Top.

[Image: Fliptop5.jpg]

When closed, the entire blade is contained within the head:

[Image: Fliptop2.jpg]

With the blade in place and the top cap closed, the area for the blade edge (blade bed?) reminds me of the blade bed of a cartridge razor, minus the extra blades. It certainly doesn't look threatening, and it isn't.

[Image: Fliptop1.jpg]

In the next post, I'll provide some initial thoughts on the performance of the razor.

43 1,690
 11-25-2012, 01:28 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Tis I who bought the one Phil had...and from it,s rarity you and I might have the only ones ever sold...I like mine a lot...mild yes..but interesting anyway. I also have a flip top COOPER and Phil kept the GIBBS pen style flip top I sold him....we are just flipping out here!!!SmileCool

6 1,913
 11-25-2012, 01:34 PM
User Info
That's a very interesting and attractive razor. Do you know if it was designed by Kenneth Grange, who designed the Sticky?

184 12,003
 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My take on the razor after just one use is extremely positive. I had just come off of several weeks of using the Cobra followed by a few days with a Streamline. The difference in aggressiveness was quite noticeable. The Flip-Top is the mildest shaver I have used. However, mild has nothing to do with effectiveness for me, something I learned with the Feather AS. I achieved an outstanding shave with the Flip-Top this morning. I have been checking my face throughout the day in disbelief.

I don't think I could nick myself with this razor, part of what I mean by it being mild. I just didn't feel the blade as I was shaving, the way I feel the blade in a Joris or an R41. Perhaps you understand what I mean - with these aggressive razors, you must apply no pressure and present the blade to your beard at the appropriate angle, or the razor will bite. Not so with the Flip-Top. Like the Feather AS, the Flip-Top seems to have a very specific blade angle at which it will cut. Change the blade angle, and you don't get any exposure to the blade (i.e., you won't get cut). I have nicked myself with the Feather, but I just don't see this happening with the Flip-Top. One adjustment to my technique that I consciously made was TO apply pressure. I have posted about this elsewhere on this forum - mainly in regard to shaving with the Feather AS. Same applies to this razor.

Because of the mild feel to the Flip-Top, I thought I'd have to make an extra pass. Normally I shave in 2 passes with touch ups on my neck and moustache. I didn't change my routine for this first shave with the Flip-Top, and I won't have to. On the touch up pass, I used a little extra blade buffing and easily got to that smooth state of wholly whacked whiskers (www). This was about as easy of a shave as I have experienced.

As for the blade - you can see the Wilkinson blade I used in the photos above. The guy that sold me the razor included a pack of 5 Wilkinson "Made in England" blades in the package. I am not familiar with these blades, but because of today's shave, they are on the top of my list. I do hope that the Flip-Top shaves well with currently available blades. I'm a little worried these Wilkinsons he sent me are some vintage, hard to find, awesome blades like John (churchilllafemme) uses every day.

Found a great link to some Wilkinson history. I was correct about the cheap plastic container the Flip-Top came in. Looks like it was made in 1977. Check below:

Wilkinson razors

(11-25-2012, 01:34 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: That's a very interesting and attractive razor. Do you know if it was designed by Kenneth Grange, who designed the Sticky?

I don't know, but I doubt it. There is no doubt, the Sticky was the best designed razor Wilkinson ever sold. I'm still uncertain as to why I sold mine.

43 1,690
 11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the pictures that a sweet looking razor.

45 3,955
 11-25-2012, 08:27 PM
User Info
Great pictures and review, Andrew!

75 20,883
 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Neat stuff and a sleek looking razor for sure. I have a Cooper Mono Flip open comb which I think is a very similar and cool design.

135 1,947
 11-26-2012, 05:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Andrew, excellent review.

173 23,553
 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
Hi Andrew, just to put you out of your misery. Wilkinson Sword closed their factory in Bridgend in 2000 and transferred all its blade manufacturing overseas. So the blades are NOS, they are in " the hard to find" bracket not impossible though they do show up sometimes but tend to cost a bit more than average. They also produced a Light Brigade Blade" these do command serious money. Most of the new Wilkies are made in Germany and India (I think) and most people say they not as good as the English ones.

3 198
 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review. The razor seems to load very similar to a Futur.

100 12,448
 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
it probably worked too well, and had to die ? I firmly believe that blades ain't what they used to be ! I'd sure like to be a fly on the wall in the microscope shootout/look-see at that blade compared to current offerings ! Smile

0 1,291
 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(11-27-2012, 12:36 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: it probably worked too well, and had to die ? I firmly believe that blades ain't what they used to be ! I'd sure like to be a fly on the wall in the microscope shootout/look-see at that blade compared to current offerings ! Smile

I have the NOS blades made in England and they are superior over any of the other current WS blades.

100 12,448
 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM
User Info
Thanks Andrew,

Very nice pics & good review !
Cool razor Smile
Eelco

0 303
 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
What a cool razor, definitely one I would love to have in my collection just for the "neat" factor.

35 1,732
 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
User Info
This nice razor.

0 57
 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM
User Info
Wow, that is in excellent condition, this is My holy grail razor, never have been able to get my hands on one

1 12
 02-10-2016, 08:01 PM
User Info
This brings back memories of the '30 Cooper Mono-Bilt razor mentioned earlier in the thread. Except the Cooper has somewhat better build. 

The biggest advantage to the flip-top razor is its relative ease of use in blade loading; it's easier than a TTO, injector or cartridge.
The biggest disadvantage is that the hinge, when hyper-extended, can be bent; if the razor is dropped, damage won't be easily fixed. 
The simple design is more stealthy than the Futur, which is supposed to be the future of DE shaving.

1 30
 02-17-2016, 11:01 AM
User Info
Where would be the best place to look for one of these razors? 

Scott

1 12
 02-17-2016, 11:48 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-17-2016, 11:01 AM)Sc0ttG Wrote: Where would be the best place to look for one of these razors? 

Scott

Probably Ebay UK. They do not come up all that often though. I sold my flip top several years ago on our BST.

45 16,358
 02-17-2016, 11:53 AM
User Info
(02-17-2016, 11:48 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 11:01 AM)Sc0ttG Wrote: Where would be the best place to look for one of these razors? 

Scott

Probably Ebay UK. They do not come up all that often though. I sold my flip top several years ago on our BST.

Thanks I will keep a close watch on ebay,hope one pops up soon, the money is burning a hole in my pocket Haha, oh I should of signed up sooner  Biggrin

1 12