11-25-2012, 03:18 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
There was s topic not long ago started by Teiste, where we talked about how our tastes change over time. At some early stages of our wet shaving journey we liked some product and now we don't, and the other way around. Well, I didn't give it much thought until this morning when I shaved with my ARC bulldog.
Oh man, did I change...
I am trying hard to downsize, I've been using some products that I haven't touched in a while. Today was the ARC day!
I haven't shaved since Thanksgiving, having 2+ days growth is unusual for me, so while lathering up and looking at my Weber loaded with fresh Iridium blade, I thought to myself "Why am I even bothering with this, I hated it when I got it, I definitely wouldn't like it now, just sell it and no need to clean it up after this shave". I was wrong... very very wrong. I enjoyed the shave tremendously. ARC plowed through my heavy growth with such ease and efficiency that it made me Smile
In conclusion: if you have something forgotten somehwere on the back of that cabinet, break it out and give it a try again, who knows what will happen Smile
Oh yeah, no way I am selling it! Instead I will be looking to buy DLC head just because I like the way it looks and it was not available when I was buying ARC.

88 4,233
 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
To me there's no finer razor than the ARC, the Tradere, and the Futur. I really enjoy them and could just use those, but then there's the Schicks, and the Tech, and the others as well.

116 3,804
 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The DLC is one of my favorite razors. I'ts very efficient yet still gives a good irritation free shave.

45 3,955
 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
ARC or DLC are my Goldilocks razors. Amazing, irritation free BBS with the least amount of effort or thought than anything else I've ever tried. The blade doesn't matter,any and all work well for me in a Weber.

I feel like I'm cheating when I use them.

Still, as Dave mentions, I keep and use everything else.
The definition of insanity. Rolleyes

6 905
 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(11-25-2012, 04:00 PM)EHV Wrote: ARC or DLC are my Goldilocks razors. Amazing, irritation free BBS with the least amount of effort or thought than anything else I've ever tried. The blade doesn't matter,any and all work well for me in a Weber.

Thank you sir. That made me feel a bit better Biggrin I honestly think I'm going to put everything up short of my Futur, Weber, and Tradere and see if I can make it on just those 3 for a month straight. I once envisioned 7 razors and 7 brushes for 7 days and I've pretty much held onto the 7 brushes thing (SOC 2 Band, SOC Boar, FS 24mm Finest, 2 TGN Finest, WD Silvertip, and a SimFix Grosvenor) but the seven razor thing is hard.

116 3,804
 11-25-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
Dave, i could go one month with the Weber DLC. i would not have much of a problem with doing that, but only one month. Hee hee.
Well, actually, more to think about it. May be i will try that!

75 20,883
 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
User Info
(11-25-2012, 04:02 PM)Dave Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 04:00 PM)EHV Wrote: ARC or DLC are my Goldilocks razors. Amazing, irritation free BBS with the least amount of effort or thought than anything else I've ever tried. The blade doesn't matter,any and all work well for me in a Weber.

Thank you sir. That made me feel a bit better Biggrin I honestly think I'm going to put everything up short of my Futur, Weber, and Tradere and see if I can make it on just those 3 for a month straight. I once envisioned 7 razors and 7 brushes for 7 days and I've pretty much held onto the 7 brushes thing (SOC 2 Band, SOC Boar, FS 24mm Finest, 2 TGN Finest, WD Silvertip, and a SimFix Grosvenor) but the seven razor thing is hard.

So much for synth only. Long life natural fiber brushes! (With the occasional synthetic approved with written notification Winky)

31 7,912
 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I can totally relate with the sentiments of the OP.
My Weber DLC and ARC razors were gradually relegated to 2nd tier status as I evolved in terms of my shaving journey and discovered newer and seemingly more exciting razors. I recently revisited the Webers, not expecting anything dramatic, but was pleasantly surprised to realize how wonderful these SS gems were. I'm now happy that I didn't forget the Webers, and will give other items a second chance as well.

102 17,665
 11-26-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
(11-25-2012, 10:07 PM)Agravic Wrote: I recently revisited the Webers, not expecting anything dramatic, but was pleasantly surprised to realize how wonderful these SS gems were. I'm now happy that I didn't forget the Webers, and will give other items a second chance as well.

Nothing improves any razors as much as leaving 'em alone for a time. They seem to morph while settled in the rack, into a brand new piece! Cool

0 554
 11-26-2012, 07:27 AM
User Info
Great advice. I've gotten great shaves from razors that chewed me up consistently then lived in a drawer for a while. I wonder if our brains keep processing problem razors when we're not using them.

Like Michael says, just sleep on it.

I've also had the ARC peel away five days' growth like it was nothing.

9 166
 11-26-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
(11-26-2012, 07:27 AM)middlesmith Wrote: Great advice. I've gotten great shaves from razors that chewed me up consistently then lived in a drawer for a while. I wonder if our brains keep processing problem razors when we're not using them.

There's no logical -or even mystical- reason for this experience we all have. But if time heals all wounds, it seems also to contour razors -and blades- to our faces.

I now have a dozen DE razors and they all suit me well. Smile

0 554
 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-26-2012, 06:51 AM)Michael G Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 10:07 PM)Agravic Wrote: I recently revisited the Webers, not expecting anything dramatic, but was pleasantly surprised to realize how wonderful these SS gems were. I'm now happy that I didn't forget the Webers, and will give other items a second chance as well.

Nothing improves any razors as much as leaving 'em alone for a time. They seem to morph while settled in the rack, into a brand new piece! Cool

(11-26-2012, 07:52 AM)Michael G Wrote:
(11-26-2012, 07:27 AM)middlesmith Wrote: Great advice. I've gotten great shaves from razors that chewed me up consistently then lived in a drawer for a while. I wonder if our brains keep processing problem razors when we're not using them.

There's no logical -or even mystical- reason for this experience we all have. But if time heals all wounds, it seems also to contour razors -and blades- to our faces.

I now have a dozen DE razors and they all suit me well. Smile

In my case, I do believe that the passage of time alone is not responsible for the new-found appreciation of items previously 'ignored'. As my shaving technique improves and evolves, I believe I am better able to capture the nuances of the different razors I have.

102 17,665
 11-26-2012, 08:16 AM
User Info
(11-26-2012, 07:58 AM)Agravic Wrote: In my case, I do believe that the passage of time alone is not responsible for the new-found appreciation of items previously 'ignored'. As my shaving technique improves and evolves, I believe I am better able to capture the nuances of the different razors I have.

Well, that is included as part of time going by. I guess things that go without saying go even better when they are said. Blush

0 554
 11-26-2012, 08:22 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-26-2012, 08:16 AM)Michael G Wrote:
(11-26-2012, 07:58 AM)Agravic Wrote: In my case, I do believe that the passage of time alone is not responsible for the new-found appreciation of items previously 'ignored'. As my shaving technique improves and evolves, I believe I am better able to capture the nuances of the different razors I have.

Well, that is included as part of time going by. I guess things that go without saying go even better when they are said. Blush

True. I guess I basically repeated what you were inferring! Smile

102 17,665
 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
(11-26-2012, 08:22 AM)Agravic Wrote: True. I guess I basically repeated what you were inferring! Smile

See? It shows that GMTA, my friend. Cool

I enjoy the friendly atmosphere of forums like this one. No politics or other divisive elements. Just people with a common (well, not THAT common, LOL!) interest and a desire for exchange of information and observations. Idea

ONWARDS! Wink

0 554
 11-26-2012, 09:36 AM
User Info
I know what you mean. I was just thinking that I seem to be using my more mild razors as of late. My thought was that with the dry cooler air, and my hitting the pool a few times a week my skin is a little dry and tight. Who knows!?

0 103
 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM
User Info
(11-26-2012, 09:36 AM)Saliavin Wrote: I know what you mean. I was just thinking that I seem to be using my more mild razors as of late. My thought was that with the dry cooler air, and my hitting the pool a few times a week my skin is a little dry and tight. Who knows!?

See if a balm helps at all. Lightbulb

0 554
 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
User Info
(11-26-2012, 09:54 AM)Michael G Wrote: See if a balm helps at all. Lightbulb

That's all I ever use these days.Biggrin But I smell chlorine when I wet my face two days(and shaves) after an evening swim.

0 103
 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
(11-26-2012, 09:57 AM)Saliavin Wrote: That's all I ever use these days.Biggrin But I smell chlorine when I wet my face two days(and shaves) after an evening swim.

Well, you might have chlorinated water at home. I can smell my water's chlorine. If it's affecting your health, you know what to do. Wink

0 554