11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hello all,

That title is correct, this is a restoration of a previously restored brush. Back in the early part of the year my father gave me his old Ever Ready 300 Pure Badger brush since he had no use for it. A true treasure for me, something I wanted to cherish always. So, since the original pure badger knot was thin and floppy, I set out to restore it and give it a brand new TGN Silvertip knot, this one 20mm, 2mm more than what I think the pure badger knot was originally. Not really knowing what I was doing, I went to work with all sorts of chopping and drilling until I could barely cram that silvertip knot into the hole.

[Image: uvBXJl.jpg]

Was it an improvement? Well, it certainly appeared so to my amateur eyes, and it felt much nicer on my skin when lathering. Well, I used it for off and on in those early months, enjoying it for the most part. However, once I started buying other brushes it became painfully obvious that I may have ruined my fathers brush. You probably noticed from the picture, but for a 20mm knot, that is an awfully high knot. I set it way too high. What did I change? Now it was just a silvertip brush with an extremely floppy and not very dense knot.

Well, it's been a number of months now and I've restored a few other brushes, and I think I understand what I am doing a bit better, so I decided it was time to revisit my father's Ever Ready.

Seeing as Lee's new Super Silvertip is getting such rave reviews, even some comparing it to HMW brushes, I decided I wanted the very best for this brush, and ordered a 23mm knot.

"23mm you say, that's way bigger than the original hole!"

Yes, I know. I've spent the better part of today cutting out the old knot and drilling a wide enough opening to accept this new know. I was nervous, this brush wasn't really designed for such a large knot, but I had a goal and I wasn't going to fail.

Well finally, it seems my work has paid off. The knot, which was amazingly soft right out of the bag, completely unused (and I mean amazingly soft, nothing else has felt this soft while dry and stiff) has been dry fitted over and over, and I have decided I finally have it. The knot is set with some nickels securing it at a perfect 52mm-53mm (I can't fully trust my cheap measuring stick), which seems to be a perfect height. The epoxy is currently drying, so hopefully by tomorrow night I can give it a test and then give it its inaugural shave Wednesday morning.

Enjoy!

[Image: 36JrDl.jpg]

Really though, look at that knot! Not a single dark strand of hair sticking through to the top, it's completely full of dense, soft silvery white tips!

[Image: esqxul.jpg]

I purposely didn't use flash to try and show how much whiter the tips of this brush are against my other two badger brushes, a TGN Finest and an original WSP Silvertip.

...Some day I will get a real camera and make a photobox, but for now I hope these photos will do.

35 1,732
 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
User Info
Excellent work Anthony, your father will be proud! A superb knot for a superb handle. I share your anticipation for the first shave with it. If you thought it was soft dry, wait until you feel it wet. Then you get to be amazed at the backbone such a soft brush can have.

Yeah, I think you're gonna like it! Clap Thumbup

31 7,912
 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I think I'm happiest that it is actually a useable brush again, the high quality knot is just a bonus. I plan on bringing it home with me on my break to have him try it, even though it is staying with me.

35 1,732
 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
You may be hopping online after he uses it with him to order another knot or at least a Monarch! Biggrin

31 7,912
 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's a great looking brush Anthony. Good Job!

45 3,955
 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Splendid job and a fine knot, Anthony ! it's satisfying to see it in such a healthy state ! Now your Dad will want it back ! Smile

0 1,291
 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Nice restore, I love the look of those style EverReady's handles and being an family heirloom piece makes it that much cooler.

2 501
 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I forgot to mention, I weighted the handle in my original restore. These handles are normally hollow plastic, but I secured a big plug of epoxy, a 1oz fishing weight, and some addition derby car weights in the lower portion of the brush. With the nickels added and the know, it's nice and secure feeling in hand. When I bring it home in December I will weight it on a digital scale to see just how much it weighs.

35 1,732
 11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
When the bloom makes the brush look too much like a mushroom the brush will tend to get a little mushy even in badger hairs with stronger backbone such as Finest and Best.

Now had you have set the original knot down lower, you would have found less mush, but more than likely not enough of a change to suit you.

When you opened up the hole and placed the larger knot in, you got a brush that still has a good symmetrical look but with much better performance.

Excellent work and enjoy!

1 2,827
 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
Good job Anthony. That is gorgeous.

7 898
 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Great job, your dads probably gonna take back possesion!!

115 1,692
 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Antony

Nicely! done, the overall proportions, aesthetics, of the brush now looks good Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-27-2012, 07:56 AM
User Info
Anthony, the brush looks excellent.
May I ask what the brush on the left is in your final picture?
Thanks!

0 53
 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(11-27-2012, 07:56 AM)dimitris Wrote: Anthony, the brush looks excellent.
May I ask what the brush on the left is in your final picture?
Thanks!

The brush on the left is a custom brush with a handle made by our own Oscar11 and a TGN 26mm XH Finest knot.

35 1,732
 11-27-2012, 08:03 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Very nice job.

116 3,804
 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Small update. I felt it had been long enough for the epoxy to dry, so I did a test lather with some L'Occitane Cade shave soap. WOW! I was more than pleasantly surprised. It is everything I hoped for and more just from the palm lather. Super soft and wonderful, I can;t wait to try it out for real in tomorrow's shave!

And of course, obligatory Bloom photo. I'd have to say it opened up very nicely, not too much, but definitely enough to be quite comfortable to face lather with.

35 1,732
 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hard to believe that's the same brush in that first photo. Job well done young man.

173 23,484