11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
User Info
Hi Gents:

Yes, it's true - this is a brand new and unused gift set, consisting of a brand new, unused (still in its cellophane sleeve) Rooney Boar Bristle Brush and a hand-painted Scuttle. The original red box with a Rooney label is included. Aside from the fact that the brush's label has slipped a little, it is immaculate. The knot is 23mm, the loft is about 51mm and the handle is 48mm high. The knot is also extremely dense and in perfect shape.

About the color: I was not able to get an accurate representation of the color in the pics I took. The actual color is a creamy butterscotch that looks to be about halfway between what we know as butterscotch today and ivory. It is a pale and delicate color.

About the age: I researched the company that made the scuttle and found out that they went out of business in 1975, so the set is at least that old.

Now, let's talk about the scuttle. The painting is very clear and bright. Unfortunately, the scuttle's finish has crazed and there is a Y-shaped crack on the back side.

The box has a tear in it that doesn't go all the way through the cardboard on one end. Otherwise, it is bright and clean and in very good shape for its age.

I would like to get $150 for this rare Rooney Collectible. REDUCED TO $95.

Attached Files Image(s)

66 692
 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM
User Info
I had this same brush with a different sticker... Opened it up some and re-knotted it with a 24mm TGN finest. Probably my favorite brush based only upon aesthetics and wieldability. GLWTS Bob.

37 403
 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM
User Info
I had a larger version which now belongs to Rudy Vey. Rudy told me that he is amazed at how soft the tips are. He did not re-knot it.

Meanwhile, I have decided that $150 is too much to ask for this set based on the minor damage to the scuttle, so I am reducing it to $95.

66 692
 11-26-2012, 08:25 PM
User Info
I have a similar set - the brush is also boar but with a porcelain handle made by Wade, and it came with a razor handle + soap dish instead of a scuttle.

GLWS!

12 1,243
 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM
User Info
The bristles on mine were different too, they were almost an orange and brown banding. Not as dense as yours either.

37 403