11-27-2012, 06:27 AM
User Info
A while back I decided to change things up a bit. I'd been using my soaps and creams randomly, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I want to enjoy the satisfaction of actually using up a product on a daily basis until it's all gone. I started with a well used 3 year old puck of soap a few weeks back, and it took 24 days until it ran out last Saturday. Yesterday I started on a new tub of Straight Razor Designs Opus X soap. I haven't had much experience with glycerin soaps (read none), and am looking forward to the experience. After today's great shave, I'm confident that this one is going to be a very good soap I'll be looking forward to using exclusively for the next few weeks.

Who's done something similar? I'd love to hear from some of you guys who have done the same thing. If you're currently working on a product, soap or cream, and intend to stick with it to the bitter end, please keep us posted on your journey.

24 1,150
 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I admire your fortitude Gary. I can do one product for a month straight but that's about it.

116 3,804
 11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've always enjoyed my variety to much to do that. It would be a nice feeling though to finish a product up.

45 3,955
 11-27-2012, 06:44 AM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
Gary,

I've actually been doing the same for about the past year. One product at a time until it's finished. I recently finished a tin of Jabonman Oriental Breeze, and am now using a puck of AOS Sandalwood soap.

I've whittled down my stash considerably through either usage or trading/selling. Now, I only have 8 different soaps, with some additional backups of just my favorites.

I keep one soap out on the counter (sometimes in the drawer). I really dislike clutter and having too many soaps around was distracting to me. However, I will say that I enjoy knowing I have an assortment stowed nearby that I can reach for if I feel the need.

6 235
 11-27-2012, 07:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Back before the internet and these darn shaving forums, that was a way of life.

Go down to either Safeway or Rexall Drugs and buy a puck of Williams or Old Spice and use it until it ran out. Then back to the store.

Of course back then it was also one razor and one brush.

I'm trying my best to narrow it down to three soaps and two creams.

173 23,486
 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
User Info
I have been doing similar for a while. When I first started using creams and soaps with brushes, I went a little hog wild buying things to "try." I have finished many products one at a time: Musgo, Proraso, 2 Arko creams, cella, 5 varied sticks, 1 Conk...

The best part is that I learned to really like products after repeated use since I eventually learned how to get the best out of each product. Never did actually "like" that cella scent but by the end of the tub it just smelled like a good shave.

Now that I'm down to far fewer products I use the soap/cream I working on about 5 times per week and others for variety on the other days.

0 140
 11-27-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
Last year I conducted an "experiment" I started a new puck of Trumper's almond on New Years day. I used it every day except for 14 days of traveling. I got 179 shaves and there was still a small "crescent smiley face" of soap left.

0 36
 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I rotate my soaps/creams every shave, but I was thinking about sticking with one this morning as I used my new Ogallala Bay Rum soap for the 4th shave in a row. For some reason I am captivated by this soap and I don't understand why. In my mind, a cheap melt and pour shouldn't be as good as my expensive tallow soaps. Anyway my plan is to use it until it's gone and see just how long the good shaves continue. This will be a first. I never finish anything.

0 204
 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM
User Info
Good luck, Gary. I've been doing this since last summer (with a one-month break) and it's made a dent in my collection. It's also made me realize how many YEARS my "collection" will last.

12 1,243
 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM
User Info
I think the closest I'm coming to this is narrowing down my rotation to scents/performance that I want during the cold and dry weather we are really starting to get into right now.

P.160 (sparingly), La Famiglia Sandalwood, Vito's Extra Super, Cella, Mike's, TABAC. There will be an occasional use of something mentholated, either Proraso or S.Maria.

My last couple shaves have been P.160 & Cella. Right now I'm considering sticking to my almond/cherry scents for awhile.

If I were to commit to soap monogamy right now, I think it'd have to be Vito's or Cella so that I could justify getting more.

31 7,912
 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I applaud your tenacity! My goal for next year is to rotate my soaps/creams on a weekly basis. I don't think I could manage sticking to a product from start to finish.

35 1,732
 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've noticed lately that I am getting my best shaves using Speick Cream. Not just the quality of the shave, but the way my skin feels throughout the day. I especially noticed this while I was out of town for a few days over Thanksgiving and it was all I used.

So, starting with todays shave I am only going to use Speick Cream until the end of December to see what condition my skin is in. The only thing I will change everyday is the brush and after shave I use.

We will see.

173 23,486
 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM
User Info
I don't have that many soaps/creams but I do have a problem with what I have.

I'm lucky enough to have very nice soft water. That makes my product last much longer that for those with harder water. Doesn't take much product to whip up a great lather so it's going to take me a lot longer than some to use up what I have.

And I have enough that there's no way I can justify getting more right now. That sucks.

4 952
 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I don't see it as an exercise to try and use everything I've purchased. If I start out using something, and realize after a week or two of consistent use that I don't enjoy it, I will get rid of it (sell, give away, trade). I'm not going to waste my time shaving with something I don't enjoy.

6 235
 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
It's nice that we have so much to choose from, now. and that leads to alot of "gotta try this one". Johnny desrcribed it. at one time, we had a few things bought at the local apothecary, and that was THE regimen. "looking for a better shave" is the one constant in play here. It's great to find something that works out so well that we want to stick with it. I wish someone made a BLADE that good ! Smile

0 1,291
 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 11:41 AM)JaDo Wrote: I don't see it as an exercise to try and use everything I've purchased. If I start out using something, and realize after a week or two of consistent use that I don't enjoy it, I will get rid of it (sell, give away, trade). I'm not going to waste my time shaving with something I don't enjoy.

JaDo, you're exactly right about that! I've spent a good bit of time and effort culling out the ones that "aren't my cup of tea", and absolutely, before I decide to enjoy the same product from start to finish, you can bet there was something special about it, otherwise, it's sold, traded, or given away! I think it would be less than sensible to think just because we got it, we gotta use it up even if it kills us.

One of the posts above makes a very good point about how we can actually discover we really like one, or we really don't like one if we use it repeatedly, as opposed to a single use here and there. At least that's true in my case. I don't know if I could keep from gagging on Cella long enough to ever finish a whole tub of it!

24 1,150
 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I agree with Johnny - "Back before the internet and these darn shaving forums, that was a way of life.

Go down to either Safeway or Rexall Drugs and buy a puck of Williams or Old Spice and use it until it ran out. Then back to the store.

Of course back then it was also one razor and one brush."

I started using Williams in the early 1980s, with one brush and a Track II Razor. Switched up to a Mach 3 Razor.

Found other pucks of soap if I went to an out of town trade show. Otherwise it was Williams.

It was not until I got fed up with the cost of the Mach 3 that I started to search the internet and that was only a couple of years ago.

Since then, I went on a buying spree.

Only recently did I start to think about how many Soaps, tubes/tubs of Cream and how many Sticks I had.

I figure I have enough Shaving Soaps/Creams to last 5 years. (Well that will depend on how often my 15 year old shaves and right now it is just once every week or two.)

I let him use Cool Mint KMF with a EJ89. The time before he used the Weber. Oh and I have him that small badger brush from AOS.Biggrin

1 819
 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
When I got my Simpson Chubby 2 in Best I used it weveryday for one month to break it in and learn the characteristics of the brush with different soaps and creams. I enjoyed it but couldn't wait to get back to variety. The great thing about this is everyone can find their sweet spot and add some personal time and enjoyment to their day!

0 295
 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
User Info
But WHY!

Variety is the spice of life.

Why eat the same dish every day for a year, when you can eat so many different dishes Huh

Why date the same woman for a year, when you can date so many different women (if you are single) Tongue

Why drive the same car every day for a year, if you cn afford to own several cars Huh

I don't get it Huh

I own 50 creams and part of my enjoyment is the variety in scent.
If not for that variety, I would use one product and one product alone:

Acqua di Parma shaving cream for spring and summer
Acca Kappa 1869 shaving cream for fall and winter

22 5,043
 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 03:31 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: But WHY!

Variety is the spice of life.

Why eat the same dish every day for a year, when you can eat so many different dishes Huh

Why date the same woman for a year, when you can date so many different women (if you are single) Tongue

Why drive the same car every day for a year, if you cn afford to own several cars Huh

I don't get it Huh

I own 50 creams and part of my enjoyment is the variety in scent.
If not for that variety, I would use one product and one product alone:

Acqua di Parma shaving cream for spring and summer
Acca Kappa 1869 shaving cream for fall and winter

LOL, I hear you Claus. Good points! It's just a part of the overall variety that makes all of this stuff such fun. I could respond by saying why take just one bite of a different dish every day, why not just eat the whole hamburger at one time!Biggrin I've done it the other way for a good long time, and now I'm going to enjoy them one at a time from full to empty for a while. I love it!

24 1,150