11-27-2012, 08:16 AM
User Info
[Image: Prince2-bandCover.jpg]

Allow me to introduce you to the Prince Finest 2-band brush from Wet Shaving Products. This is the shorter lofted cousin to the Monarch Super Badger 2-band. This brush is my best example to date of what a "wall of badger" feels like on my face.

[Image: Prince2-bandHandle.jpg]

The Prince is another example of a well made brush with a nice resin handle. While the shape is not my favorite ergonomically it certainly looks classy.

The advertised dimensions are:
  • 23mm knot
  • 47mm loft
  • 49mm handle height
  • 96mm total height

This makes it a smaller medium sized brush that should please many face latherers. While it can be used quite proficiently in a bowl the handle might not be long enough for those with a deeper lathering bowl. The weight of it is balanced well and should feel good in the hand.

[Image: Prince2-bandKnot.jpg]

The Finest 2-band badger hair will give you the scrubby face massage that you're after without irritating your skin since the tips are very soft. There is not a single full dark hair in this knot. Every hair has a nice and soft white tip. Compared to the Monarch 2-band the hair in this brush is thicker giving it more backbone. The shorter loft (47 vs 53) adds to the backbone and is why this brush feels like a wall of badger on your face. There will not be much splay nor bloom with the Prince. Flow is certainly less than the Prince Silvertip or even the Monarch 2-band, yet it is by no means a lather hog. You will easily be able to hold and release 3+ passes worth of lather from a proper loading.

Obviously a brush with this type of backbone will be great for loading even the hardest triple milled soaps. The soft tips and nice flow through allow this brush to work splendidly with creams also. The resiliency will keep the brush from splaying thus allowing it to hold plenty of water while lathering, especially on the face.

Both circular & back-and-forth motions are pleasurable when building the lather on your face. I do not feel the slightest bit of prickle (0) in this brush despite its high degree of scrub (7), giving it a "Scritch Factor" of 3.5.

Here is a look at the density:
[Image: Prince2-bandDensity.jpg]

I highly recommend this brush for the face latherers out there who desire a very scrubby brush but also want the luxuriousness of zero prickle that not many other 2-bands can offer in this price range. For only $59.99 from Wet Shaving Products I believe that many other traditional shavers can now experience a top-tier brush at a very reasonable price.

To compare this brush with the rest of the Wet Shaving Products range just look here.

[Image: WSPRange.jpg]

31 7,912
 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Im in totally agreement with your review , Brian.A bargain of a brush for its price , no shadow of a doubt about it.

I think that we can "open" to the public the new WSP brushes cult...Biggrin

86 7,123
 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM
User Info
What's the price on such a brush? I like the look of it and wouldn't mind a couple of test runs ...

1 630
 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Brian nice review of this brush. I really like the density of the brush, great size too.

1 3,507
 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(11-27-2012, 11:13 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: What's the price on such a brush? I like the look of it and wouldn't mind a couple of test runs ...

$59.99

http://wetshavingproducts.com/silvertip-...nd-badger/

173 23,494
 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 11:13 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: What's the price on such a brush? I like the look of it and wouldn't mind a couple of test runs ...

Hi Mark, thanks for joining in. I'm honored. The Prince range is $59.99, while the Monarch range is $74.99. Available here: Wet Shaving Products

31 7,912
 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
Brian,

Please don't be honored, I'm just a regular guy interested in brushes also!

I like the look of these ... I may imbibe.

Mark Cool

(11-27-2012, 11:24 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Hi Mark, thanks for joining in. I'm honored. The Prince range is $59.99, while the Monarch range is $74.99. Available here: Wet Shaving Products

1 630
 11-28-2012, 04:41 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Brian. This one is my favorite of the very good WSP line of brushes.

Maybe I am not very picky about what brushes can be used for bowl and face lathering besides the handle length consideration (and I prefer the latter), but I agree with what Brian and Teiste have said that this one is a dream for face latherers. One does not have to worry about taking on scritch just to have the desired backbone; we can have our cake and eat it, too!

Not a perfect comparison, but I feel the most similar brush that I have tried is the 2012 TSN Semogue LE boar/badger mix. Backbone and density are very similar with the WSP having softer, gel-like tips and thicker hairs.

47 1,270
 11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
Great review, Brian!

75 20,883
 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
(11-28-2012, 04:41 AM)kentclark Wrote: Not a perfect comparison, but I feel the most similar brush that I have tried is the 2012 TSN Semogue LE boar/badger mix. Backbone and density are very similar with the WSP having softer, gel-like tips and thicker hairs.

Tom,
I couldn't agree with you more. Out of all my brushes I think the Semogue TSN '12 is the closest for backbone while staying prickle-free.

31 7,912