11-27-2012, 10:23 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I keep trying luxury creams, some impress me and some disappoint.
Today was SMN. Comes in a huge tub and with a huge price tag.
Overall an excellent cream but I was very unimpressed. I really felt like it was Proraso green enriched with "butter".

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Old Proraso (Green & Red options) and Omega creams and soaps used to have lanolin , so they were Santa Maria La Novella re branded , and all made by Ludovido Martelli , with the same ingredients.

Check this out .Omega soap with lanolin (old version)

[Image: 3711338653_2abe14e675.jpg]

Santa Maria la Novella shaving cream :

[Image: SMN3.jpg]

Interesting , right ? Rolleyes

I really like Santa Maria La Novella shaving cream , but knowing that you are paying premium for a product that its not that "premium" , Im afraid.San Maria by RazoRock is an excellent option , with a more eucalyptus scent.

86 7,123
 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yeah, I had that feeling... Thanks for the insight, Teiste.
I've tried RR S Maria, 6 times less expensive and just as good Wink
I guess "luxury" creams will always have their place in this market.

Next month will be intense for me, I already know what I am getting from my wife and my sister, 2 very VERY overpriced creams Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
User Info
I have a tube of the old Omega with lanolin.
Didn't know it was so similar to SMN Cool

2 5,532
 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
Any proof to the claim that SMN = Old Omega soap ?

I must admit, that the ingredient list looks quite the proof of this claim, and if true I kind of feel like I would not re-purchase my SMN pot any longer.......Dodgy

22 5,064
 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-27-2012, 03:22 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Any proof to the claim that SMN = Old Omega soap ?

I must admit, that the ingredient list looks quite the proof of this claim, and if true I kind of feel like I would not re-purchase my SMN pot any longer.......Dodgy

Best proof besides ingredients is you test them side by side. I don't use Proraso anymore but I remembered what it was after my first shave with SMN.

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 03:28 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 03:22 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Any proof to the claim that SMN = Old Omega soap ?

Best proof besides ingredients is you test them side by side. I don't use Proraso anymore but I remembered what it was after my first shave with SMN.

But you can't buy that old version of Omega any longer - so not an option Huh

22 5,064
 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-27-2012, 03:35 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 03:28 PM)beartrap Wrote:

But you can't buy that old version of Omega any longer - so not an option Huh

Sure you can! Emanuel has it, so might others. If you really want to know, put up a WTB and I am sure you will get it. But what's the point? If you got a tub for $70 and you feel like this cream is worth it to you, use it and enjoy. To me, it' not worth it as I see nothing that justifies the price.

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info

I have tried both (Omega cream with lanolin , not the soap) and theyre the same : same scent , performance and skin care properties.

86 7,123
 11-27-2012, 10:26 PM
User Info
Guys its not too farfetched for a very high end company to outsource a specific item.

Take sunglasses from Chanel, Dior, Gucci and so on.

They make and design most their items (shoes, hang bags, wallets, clothes) but they outsource their sunglasses (to major corporations like Luxotica).

I'd be surprised if SMN outsourced the shaving cream aspect though. Because they are in the business of beauty and cosmetics and body care. Its not like they want to offer, say, shoes or an electronic item and require the skills to outsource it.

Shaving cream is not very different from perfumes, toothpaste (they have EXCELLENT clove based toothpaste), mouthwash, body soaps and so on.

So I doubt SMN has outsourced their shaving cream. My doubt is on the fact that they can probably make it themselves and better too.

0 193
 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-27-2012, 10:26 PM)hedonist222 Wrote: Guys its not too farfetched for a very high end company to outsource a specific item.

Take sunglasses from Chanel, Dior, Gucci and so on.

They make and design most their items (shoes, hang bags, wallets, clothes) but they outsource their sunglasses (to major corporations like Luxotica).

I'd be surprised if SMN outsourced the shaving cream aspect though. Because they are in the business of beauty and cosmetics and body care. Its not like they want to offer, say, shoes or an electronic item and require the skills to outsource it.

Shaving cream is not very different from perfumes, toothpaste (they have EXCELLENT clove based toothpaste), mouthwash, body soaps and so on.

So I doubt SMN has outsourced their shaving cream. My doubt is on the fact that they can probably make it themselves and better too.

Good point about Luxotica (now it seems that there is another Italian company , making sun glasses for other designers like Tom Ford , which name I dont remember) but Santa Maria La Novella have been made by Ludovico Martelli and , even Martelli , have confirmed that.I dont know if Santa Maria La Novella would be re formulated like the Proraso soaps and creams (no parabens , SLE/SLES, boric acid and so on).

86 7,123