11-27-2012, 03:47 PM
User Info
So, over the last week or two, I've gotten a few new aftershaves.

The first was a sample bottle of Krampert's Finest LE Menthol. Man, this is some glorious stuff! It smells amazing and the menthol is so soothing on the skin. My wife is (sadly) not a huge fan of my bay rum obsession, which is usually what I wear- but she liked this a lot. I know there's been a lot of praise for this a/s already on this forum, and since it is no longer available, I will just say that it is truly fantastic stuff. Brian- if you do reformulate and release this again, I will def get in line to buy.

The next one I tried was the Clubman Pinaud. It instantly transported me back to when I was kid getting a haircut at the local old school barber shop. Classic scent. I splashed some on after my Thanksgiving Day shave and got several compliments from family members throughout the day. Even the wife seemed to like it.

Today I tried Clubman Special Reserve. I had no idea what to expect from this aftershave, but I am glad to report that I am a BIG fan. At first I thought the scent was tobacco (my nose is not all that refined) but as the day wore on, I definitely came to appreciate the leather tones. I really liked this aftershave, and although I've only worn it once it may be one of my favorites (which might be a problem since the wife didn't seem so keen on it). Anyone else a fan? It is leather that I am smelling, correct?

Tomorrow, Osage Rub. I'm looking forward to it...

2 234
 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
You'll love the rub but be warned, it's a face freezer!!

116 3,804
 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
My eyes tear from Osage Rub! I don't know what they put in it but I am sure dentists could use it as anesthetic Confused

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
Love the Special Reserve but, I like the original Clubman the best.

0 372
 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I guess I need to track down some Special Reserve. I've heard quite a lot about it.

116 3,804
 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've never tried the Special Reserve but it will have to go on my wish list. I am a fan of the Clubman though.

45 3,955
 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
+1 on all of it. I've been waiting on my local Pinaud supplier to re-stock the OSAGE RUB as I have yet to try it. Love the Pinaud SR and the Clubman. Not too much that I don't like from Pinaud.... Haven't tried the Vanilla or the Musk. I'm sure at some point in the road I will...

5 1,151
 11-29-2012, 07:37 AM
User Info
Pinaud is the scent of my youth, barbershop visits of more than a half century ago, the scent is intractably imbedded in my memory.

0 500
 11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
Pinaud Clubman is my favorite A/S but Special Reserve is in my Top 5.

0 433
 11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
I like the SR quite a bit, but the wife isn't a giant fan. It's potent enough to cut with some witch hazel most days. My only knock on it is that it disagrees with my body chemistry on hot summer days so I save it for late fall and winter.

The Clubman is wonderful. I realize now that it was the smell I remember from when my grandfather had finished cleaning up after work. Great memories there.

0 252
 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
SR is great for fall /winter use.Leather an wood an a bit of age ,like a leather chair in an old library with a fire place.
As has been mentioned it is potent ,cutting with witch hazel is an option.A note though:too much WH will cause some ingredient to precipitate out, which then causes a need to shake the bottle to mix it .But it is one of the a/s I have bought replacements for.

0 274