11-27-2012, 04:03 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I don't want to start anything "religion" related, so be that Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus for the rest of us, or any other holiday around New Years (my favorite day of them all).
I wasn't born here, my childhood did not revolve around this. We really only celebrated New Years, with gifts and food and all that "new beginnings" wishes. I've been here for over 20 years, still don't get the commercial aspect.
While this is not a complaint, more like an observation, I wanted to find out some things from you guys and gals. We have members from around the world, how do you handle the holidays in your country?
I'll start with PROS:
I love the holiday spirit, love to see smiling faces, more happy people, even hearing the same music for gazillionth time is nice.
CONS:
In contrast of happy people, I see more angry people, non-smiling faces, traffic jams in 10 mile radius from any mall, stupid music gets on my nerves, everyone and their dog expecting gifts... I'll stop with CONS, don't want to be one of those angry people Biggrin
Oh yeah! What's up with buying gifts that no one wants and re-gifting ones you don't need?

Please share but keep religion and politics out. Happy Holidays everyone!

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Steve, Steve, you poor man. Just do what I do. Say BAH, HUMBUG, close your front door and have a quiet day at home. The commercial aspect has gotten completely out of hand with the likes of Wal-Mart et. al. ruining the true universal holiday of Thanksgiving and the thought of hearing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer one more time is truly enough to make me lock out the outside world until after this nuttiness is all over. As I said, BAH, HUMBUG! Laughing1 (By the way, if anyone can't see my tongue firmly planted in my cheek then may I still wish you a very happy greetings of the season. P.S. They keep reviving Grandma so they can sing the song each year. Tongue)

In the end, the holidays are simply what we choose to make them. Smile

2 11,211
 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I was born and lived all of my life here and this is my favorite time of year, not because of the holidays but because I love colder weather and I love the dark wet gloominess that seems to hang on many fall/winter days (I know my family has already informed me I am warped) and I love the sharp scent of wood fires on the crisp air from people heating their homes...the night sky also seems to be more clear and beautiful in the colder months for some reason. I can stand outside in the cold, smelling the air and staring at the stars for hours. Now, the holidays I absolutely despise, I am always glad when they are over. My family does not exchange gifts, we buy a little something for the younger kids but that is it. We get together for 2-4 hours, have a meal and watch the kids open their gifts then we all go our separate ways for another year.

31 1,510
 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Why did I read this??? Now it's stuck in my head and I can't get it out. Please no one sing "Jingle bells" Sisi1

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I promise, I won't sing Jingle Bells if you promise not to sing the 12 Days of Christmas.

173 23,504
 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 04:17 PM)freddy Wrote: Steve, Steve, you poor man. Just do what I do. Say BAH, HUMBUG, close your front door and have a quiet day at home. The commercial aspect has gotten completely out of hand with the likes of Wal-Mart et. al. ruining the true universal holiday of Thanksgiving and the thought of hearing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer one more time is truly enough to make me lock out the outside world until after this nuttiness is all over. As I said, BAH, HUMBUG! Laughing1 (By the way, if anyone can't see my tongue firmly planted in my cheek then may I still wish you a very happy greetings of the season. P.S. They keep reviving Grandma so they can sing the song each year. Tongue)

In the end, the holidays are simply what we choose to make them. Smile
Please pass the hot cocoa Smile

1 345
 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
holidays: glad to see `em come...glad to see `em go. the food-treats, however, is something else ! Smile

0 1,291
 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
Love the food, and it is good for sales. Cool

9 2,988
 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM
User Info
Don't you all know there will be no more holidays now. Everything ends on 12/21. Winky

31 7,912
 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-27-2012, 07:19 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Don't you all know there will be no more holidays now. Everything ends on 12/21. Winky

I thought it was 12/12 Tongue

88 4,233
 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 07:22 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 07:19 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Don't you all know there will be no more holidays now. Everything ends on 12/21. Winky

End of Mayan calendar.

31 7,912
 11-27-2012, 07:56 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-27-2012, 07:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 07:22 PM)beartrap Wrote:

End of Mayan calendar.

Oh damn! What am I gonna do those extra 9 days? Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
I do not at all care for the insane commercialization of the holiday season now.

My biggest pet peeve with the season is the non-Christians who take offense to someone wishing them a "Merry Christmas". While in a multi-cultural society like ours, one should expect a bit of understanding that not everyone is Christian, the majority are. I myself am Buddhist, when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas I take no offense at all. I simply wish them the same back. Some people should just lighten up and accept a happy message even if one disagrees with it.

Yeah, I know religion and politics are supposed to be off topic, but I think as long as the thread does not devolve into anything derogatory we're fine. Back on topic with the commercialization aspect, it's disgusting that it has now come to the point people have to work on Thanksgiving because a bunch of nut jobs want to get towels at 50% off and just cannot wait until Friday morning. It's getting worse every year as it keeps starting earlier and earlier.

129 6,685
 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Doug, I absolutely agree with you about the whole shopping season getting out of hand and was really ticked off at Wal-Mart and other retailers starting sales as early as 8:00 P.M. on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, enough people went along with it for the stores to bring in hefty profits. If enough people didn't buy into the whole shopping on Thanksgiving Day thing, how long do you think retailers would stay open on that holiday? As Pogo so rightly said, "We have met the enemy and he is us." Sad

2 11,211