11-27-2012, 04:33 PM
User Info
This is kind of embarrassing, but I have crazy dandruff in my beard (which I not-so-affectionately call "beardruff"). I shower daily, use selsun blue on my beard, and still I get a lot of flaking. I actually have been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis. Does anyone know of any home remedies or whatnot that might treat this? I have a prescription cream that I use elsewhere (side of nose, eyebrows) but it is impossible to really work it into my beard. is there a beard tonic or something that might help? I know this is a long shot, but I thought someone here might have suffered from the same thing and discovered a remedy. Thanks.

2 234
 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM
User Info
There are many things that can cause flaking like you are experiencing, so what worked for me may not work for you. Well over a decade ago, I had similar problems and tried the commonly available OTC remedies and doctor prescribed products. My wife did some research and suggested I try a 50/50 rinse of cider vinegar and water a couple of times a week. Been using it ever since. Cheap, widely available and the most effective treatment I ever found.

Let us know if it works.

5 298
 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
My uncle had this problem and he started working a small bit of unrefined shea butter into his beard down to the skin and the problem went away and as a side effect he said it made his beard softer and less wiry. You have to be careful not to use too much though or you'll end up with a greasy beard.

31 1,510
 11-28-2012, 09:36 AM
User Info
I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar. I just read another post here on the nook, where folks were talking about it being effective on their scalp, so I'm going to try it on my beard. I'll report back on its effectiveness.

2 234
 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
Yes, I'd like to hear more about the cider treatment myself.

0 500
 12-20-2012, 06:10 AM
User Info
Update: I've been using apple cider vinegar for about two weeks now, exclusively. I haven't used Selsun Blue or any other shampoo. And I have to say, so far it seems to be working. I use it in both my beard and on my scalp. The only wrinkle to this experiment is that I also just trimmed my beard way back for the first time in a like a year (actually it's not even a beard right now, I went for big ol' sideburns and goatee). But I'm going to continue to use it and see if it's the vinegar that's working and not just that my beard is way shorter.

2 234