11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
User Info
I was washing my my Manchurian badger hair brush for the first time after using it and kept washing the tips over and over wondering why the soap was getting out. The tips felt like gel.

I thought it was very soapy-soap that wasn't washing off.

Then a week ago I was skimming through a thread and the phrase "gel-like tips" caught my attention. I then remembred my Manchurian badger hair Simpsons brush.

So today before using it (was completely dry, hadn't shaved in 48 hours) I wet the tips and felt them. They did feel like gel.

So a word of warning. Its not drenched in soap. Its how it is.

0 193
 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I had one of those early Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XLs with gel-like tips and sold it to another forum member here (still trying to figure out why). None of the four Manchurians I have owned had that gel-like feel. Face lathering the Rooney felt like rubbing a giant ball of gel against my face. It was incredibly soft and dense.

43 1,690
 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Interesting, the only gel tips most refer to is Rooney or M&F. Of the two Manchurians I have personally used, a Polo 8 and a Classic 1, they were not gel-like whatsoever. I own an M&F 1XL, and without a doubt it is unmistakably the famed gel tip hair. I would seriously be over the moon to own a 2XL with that hair.

135 1,944
 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM
User Info
Manchurian hair from Simpson is most certainly not gel-like.

9 2,988
 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
This is something I'm curious about too. While I've never tried a Rooney or Manchurian, I feel like my TGN finest has what seems to be gel-like as well. But then again, this is only my uneducated feelings. SomedayI hopeI can try or own one of these brushes and experience the actual sensation. Its hard to properly interpret words on a screen.

35 1,732
 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(11-27-2012, 08:01 PM)Tonality Wrote: I feel like my TGN finest has what seems to be gel-like as well.

I feel this way, too. Really soft almost "gooey" tips when wet.

10 1,120
 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 08:01 PM)Tonality Wrote: This is something I'm curious about too. While I've never tried a Rooney or Manchurian, I feel like my TGN finest has what seems to be gel-like as well. But then again, this is only my uneducated feelings. SomedayI hopeI can try or own one of these brushes and experience the actual sensation. Its hard to properly interpret words on a screen.

It's a hard thing to describe, but after trying a lot of hairs, it's really the only word to describe a certain grade of 2 band hair. Undecided

I wouldn't call TGN gel-like personally. Nice, but not gel-like.

9 2,988
 11-27-2012, 08:30 PM
User Info
The way a brush feels when skimming your hands over the wet tips is not necessarily how the brush feels on the face when lathering, imo.

I have a few brushes that feel "sticky" or "gel like if you will" when damp and running my hand over the tips, but on the face they don't feel sticky at all, they feel soft and scrubby. Ymmv of course.

63 2,128
 11-27-2012, 08:30 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(11-27-2012, 08:21 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 08:01 PM)Tonality Wrote: This is something I'm curious about too. While I've never tried a Rooney or Manchurian, I feel like my TGN finest has what seems to be gel-like as well. But then again, this is only my uneducated feelings. SomedayI hopeI can try or own one of these brushes and experience the actual sensation. Its hard to properly interpret words on a screen.

It's a hard thing to describe, but after trying a lot of hairs, it's really the only word to describe a certain grade of 2 band hair. Undecided

Understandable, only with experience does one get to fully understand these things.

35 1,732
 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I believe it's all YMMV with everything in this hobby. What's soft to you might feel scritchy to me and vice-versa.

10 1,120
 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM
User Info
(11-27-2012, 08:50 PM)MickToley Wrote: I believe it's all YMMV with everything in this hobby. What's soft to you might feel scritchy to me and vice-versa.

I don't necessarily believe that. I think we notice different levels of scratch. And let's use scratch because scritch is a made-up term. It has no real meaning.

So, if you have a rugged face, and I have a soft face, I will perceive a more intense scratch than you do. In fact, you may not even notice the scratch unless you lather up 5x.

That is where I believe all the YMMV comes from.

The other YMMV comes from the fact that people with less brush experience simply don't have a lot of knowledge to draw upon and will exclaim X is Y! Without having experienced true Y.

9 2,988
 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
While looking up definitions I believe the best word I've found to describe the sensation is "prickle" or "prick". I believe this is more accurate than "scratch" & yes "scritch" is a word but has to do with screech.

prickle: a tingling or pricking sensation

prick: a small, sharp, local pain, such as that made by a needle or bee sting

scratch: to rub or scrape to relieve itching

I tried to pick the best definitions for what we are describing.

31 7,912
 11-28-2012, 12:48 AM
User Info
I'll explain the sensation. But I'll preface by saying compared to my Crabtree & Evelyn pure and Wee Scott Best, the Manchurian feels like there is no scratch. I have no other brush experience.

But then again I am very well aware of these things. I've refused to buy a pair of Gucci shoes because the leather was stiffer in that model than in the previous year's model.

I've washed the brush with water and have clumped it together in my palm. From knot to tip to squeeze out water. I start squeezing from the knot towards the tip. At the tip , the brush slips out of my grip. Almost like there was soap on it.

So I did it a good 5 to 10 times and wondered why the hell it was still soapy.

Then a week later I read "gel-like" and remembered my brush.

So yesterday I wet the tips of the of the dry brush and felt it. It was like gel. Very slippery.

Almost as if they were coated with a lube.

0 193
 11-28-2012, 12:51 AM
User Info
Hmm, not sure we're using the same definition.

I and others use gel-like to describe tips that are ultra soft with some backbone. They feel like sticking a gel pillow to your face.

9 2,988
 11-28-2012, 01:16 AM
User Info
But gel is that slippery feeling.

What do you mean ultra soft?
Soft as in flexible/bendable or soft as is not rough?

The pure and best brushes felt like there was drag when brushed across the face (scratch/scritch especially from the C&E).

0 193
 11-28-2012, 01:53 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
(11-27-2012, 08:30 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 08:21 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

Understandable, only with experience does one get to fully understand these things.

I've seen other people with the Rooney experience state that some TGN 2 band knots had gel like tips, not every TGN 2 bander but some.

3 68
 11-28-2012, 02:00 AM
User Info
Gel like
Pillow soft
Cloud soft

So many descriptions for so many hairs, of course it all boils down to the individual & how the knot works for them.

Fun discussing though!

1 630
 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(11-27-2012, 08:59 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: So, if you have a rugged face, and I have a soft face, I will perceive a more intense scratch than you do.

The other YMMV comes from the fact that people with less brush experience simply don't have a lot of knowledge to draw upon and will exclaim X is Y! Without having experienced true Y.

Just because one has a "rugged" face and the other "soft" doesn't necessarily mean the person with the soft face has sensitive skin.

I have many different brushes in my collection, from 2-bands to boars and in between. I have not used one of these "gel" like rooney brushes, but I can tell you that the TGN 2-band hair has the softest tips that I have ever felt. Now, my first time using this hair type from TGN I was very surprised how soft & silky it was, I damn sure wasn't expecting that. So, to me these tips are "gel" like, to you they're not. This is why I say this is a YMMV hobby, what works for you will not work for me.

10 1,120
 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
User Info
Older TGN finest knots had hooked tips, these did indeed feel gel like.

The rooney 2XL is also very soft.

Both of the above are very different to the 5 Manchurian brushes I've tried. I agree with Lee, certainly not gel like. Manchurian has a tickle in use.

7 1,179
 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
What I think most of us who have experienced gel-like tips mean by this is the brush feeling like a wad or ball of gel on your face when lathering. Think of the squishy gel inside a mouse pad (the bump to rest your wrist on) or the gel in shoe inserts. We're talking about the soft, squishy nature of gel, not its slipperiness.

Hooked tips... that brings up another interesting topic. My Rooney 2XL had hooked tips when dry, which straightened when wet. After I had used the brush a number of times, I noticed the gel-like quality diminished, and the face feel was more like my other soft-tipped 2-bands. I wonder if these fine, hooked tips are fragile and break off with use, changing the face feel of the brush.

43 1,690