11-28-2012, 11:45 AM
  • A28
User Info
Im curious if anyone has scene a razor that sounds like this?? I was reading a post and someone had wrote there is a star razor that can be used as a straight?

3 316
 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
It's a Lather catcher. It has a SE on one end and can have a SE on the other than resembles a straight razor.

116 3,804
 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
  • A28
User Info
hugh interesting im curious and intrigued you have any pictures?

nevermind i just saw some its a neat piece

curious about how to keep the blades sharp

3 316
 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
There's a few that you can strop and a few that will take a modern SE Blade. I'll wait for ShadowsDad to pop in. He's far more knowledgeable than I am on the subject.

116 3,804
 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM
  • A28
User Info
Hmmm interesting

3 316
 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
Harvey might actually be a better source of information than I am regarding this.

A28 you must mean a Star with a wedge blade? Some lather catchers can be modified to accept modern SE blades. No wedge blade razor can use a DE blade that I'm aware of.

If it absolutely requires a wedge blade I steer clear of them (one exception pictured below is an experiment still in progress). I'm really ignorant of their requirements, and have yet to successfully get an edge I like on my Rolls Razor.

I can research it to see if there's a Star that I think I can put a modern SE blade into (let me know), but I don't have any that are STAR branded in my shave arsenal at this time. Lots of the old Lather Catchers can be made to accept SE blades, not just Star. BTW, Star is connected with American Safety Razor and they are connected with EverReady(Star/ASR/ER). There will be a test on this in literally one second. Biggrin

A28, I'll post a picture of an EverReady Lather Catcher modified just slightly to handle a modern blade, and a 2nd picture of a wedge blade. Melding the 2 in your mind would give you an idea. A wedge blade is a segment of straight razor... basically. I could shove a wedge blade into my modfied ER razor, but having modified it would prefer not to use the amount of vaseline required to do so.

OK, I'm fairly certain that this EverReady '06 was designed for wedge blades, but if not, the retention system for wedge blades in the Star razor is quite similar if not exact (they are related). I do believe I modified this razor from wedge blades to modern SE blades. Notice how thin the modern spined SE blade is.
[Image: DSC03542.jpg]

Here against my camera bag you can see the thickness of a wedge blade. Basically, it's a segment of a straight razor. Compare it to the relatively modern spined (thin) SE blade. FWIW, the razor in the picture below can in no way be made to easily (if at all) use a modern spined blade. The ER (Star/ASR) razor can.
[Image: DSC03835.jpg]

If I confused you or you need more, let me know.

If you want better brains to tap into for SE/lather catchers than mine, go here: The Original Safety Too (TOST)

32 6,309
 11-28-2012, 04:00 PM
  • A28
User Info
COOL AWESOME INFO

3 316
 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
User Info
I also took some comparison shots of a modern SE blade compared to a wedge that you might be interested in checking out.

http://shavenook.com/thread-wedge-blade-...-thickness

40 5,830
 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Very Nice.

I also like the Star DE Safety Razor.

1 819
 11-29-2012, 09:42 PM
  • A28
User Info
Again thanks for the great info and indulging my curiosity

3 316
 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
The so called straight at the end of the bar/handle is not meant to be used as a straight; it is meant to strop the blade. the handle segments screw together to make a longer handle on either the shave head or the stropper.
This one is similar: Stropper is on the table.
[Image: SOTD2-19sm.jpg]
~Richard

8 1,190
 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM
  • A28
User Info
Oh that makes a ton more sense

3 316