11-28-2012, 04:28 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Howdy -

I was just wondering, while I was wandering around the site, what question I could ask.

So I want to know ... If you were going to do a Review of a Shaving Cream and post it on the site -

1) What Format should it be in?

2) What should it cover? (Quality, Scent, Lather - Ease/Longevity, Efficacy, General Skincare, Protection, Moisturizing, etc.)

3) What key words should be used, if any?

4) What exactly is a 10 and where can I find it?

5) I probably have a 1, so I know where one of those is at.

Now I only ask because I am trying to figure out what makes a Great Soap or Cream.

And I have to ask that because I have ran into some Krappy Soaps or Creams and they are easy for me to identify.

However, since I do not have sensitive skin, I do not get ingrown hairs, I do not get alergic reactions, and I can shave everyday or even twice a day ... it is hard for me to notice the suptle differences in Shaving Soaps/Creams and they all seem great to me.

So I figure I must be missing something.

Since many of the Multi-Post Moderators have been on other Sites then, I be thinkin that one of them could show me which way to go.

Now ... I could ask JAYDEE but, I wanted to know what the thoughts were of some of the other members.

Wow ... that was not too bad and I think that this is the first question that I have asked.Smile

1 819
 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Just describe what is important to you, what you liked, what you didn't. This is what I am looking for in the review, don't care how it's formatted.

88 4,233
 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
User Info
I see a lot of reviews with traits ranked X/10, and I'm usually just left wondering what exactly is the difference between a 9 and a 10? a 7 and an 8? As beartrap suggested, I would just point out desirable vs undesirable qualities, whatever stood out to you the most.

2 362
 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I never give all that much consideration to the numbers people put in their reviews....every single category is all subjective anyway.
To me, I'd rather just hear in plain words what you think of it, you can tell more by the way someone talks about something then when they try to wrap all their opinions up into a number

10 411
 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM
User Info
An individual # means nothing. Give it some context & references & now you have something to go with. If I say MWF & Mike's have a moisturizing score of 10 while Proraso is a 5, then you have some context. The more products a user quantifies will lead to more context & thus more meaning behind a #.

Otherwise, #s are a bit useless.

31 7,912
 11-28-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
Did you like it? Why? can you compare it to another soap? Is it better than that soap? Why? How does it make your skin feel after the shave?

Or you might want to simply write, "I like it." or "I liked it A LOT!".

Grumpy, It's your review. Put it in your own words, do it any way you wish. It's yours, you own it, do as you wish.

Numbers? Completely meaningless IMO. My 9.5 might be your 7.0 .

32 6,308
 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
we should have a review system for the forum soon...

40 5,830
 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
User Info
Grumpy I just want to know what you liked or disliked about the product.

0 500
 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-28-2012, 07:57 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: we should have a review system for the forum soon...

Teasing! When? when when when? Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
Reviews that attempt to say x is better than y or a isn't as good as b are subjective and can only be trusted to meet with univeral disagreement. Reviews should be objective. Performance can be reported in objective terms that have gravity and other guys can understand on objective report. A review that appears to be a rave review is often a review written by a novice. I've written them and I am sorry!Sad If you want to see a selection of generally well-prepared and thorough reviews, I'd suggest you take a look at this SMF thread. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtop...sc&start=0 Many of these reviews, as you will see, are written by several of us who are currently active at TSN.

24 1,148
 11-28-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
(11-28-2012, 08:10 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-28-2012, 07:57 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: we should have a review system for the forum soon...

Teasing! When? when when when? Biggrin

a demo for the admins/mods should be available on Sunday night or Monday hopefully.

40 5,830
 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM
User Info
(11-28-2012, 08:32 PM)brothers Wrote: Reviews that attempt to say x is better than y or a isn't as good as b are subjective and can only be trusted to meet with univeral disagreement. Reviews should be objective. Performance can be reported in objective terms that have gravity and other guys can understand on objective report. A review that appears to be a rave review is often a review written by a novice. I've written them and I am sorry!Sad If you want to see a selection of generally well-prepared and thorough reviews, I'd suggest you take a look at this SMF thread. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtop...sc&start=0 Many of these reviews, as you will see, are written by several of us who are currently active at TSN.

Gary, ALL reviews are subjective, unless one has a quantitative method to test "stuff" in use on the skin. By definition without a way to test quantitatively it has to be subjective. When I see a review I absolutely want a comparison to a known product or a simple "I liked it" or not. I also look to the "Posts" count, which in my mind lends a bit of credibility (or not). Even then I take a review with a grain of salt, especially if I don't see the person telling me what the water is like that he used the product with, etc.. Basic conditions are much more than relevant, they are essential and w/o them the review is useless since the person hasn't a clue about testing parameters and scientific method.

32 6,308
 11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
User Info
I'd want to hear a comparison to X product and Y product. The more the better. Unless the comparison is it's exactly the same as X product. In which case, you can stop there.

9 2,988
 11-29-2012, 04:30 AM
User Info
Laterability
Lather Quality (Slickness / Cushion)
Scent
Price
Closing Thoughts

11 235
 11-29-2012, 05:38 AM
User Info
Comparisons when done objectively are certainly helpful, maybe my point was obscure. It's the use of adjectives and numbering systems that tend to show the reviewer's bias, as in A is "better" than B, or vice versa. An objective way to communicate comparisons would be, for example, Cella triggers my automatic gagging reflex, but 3P doesn't. Another example would be something like, the thick rich lather produced by MdC, Dr. Selby, and GZD soaps are quite similar in texture. Reviewers can certainly state their preferences, but should use care to observe the ever present YMMV elephant in the room. PS: What word does the first "M" in YMMV stand for? ("Your __?__ may vary") The only M word I can think of is "mileage", but for some reason that seems off-point. Oh well!

24 1,148
 11-29-2012, 05:51 AM
User Info
(11-29-2012, 12:00 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: I'd want to hear a comparison to X product and Y product. The more the better. Unless the comparison is it's exactly the same as X product. In which case, you can stop there.

exactly. the reason we're going to add a review system on the forum itself is to normalize the process and keep the reviews in a central location rather than all over the forum.

40 5,830
 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Thanks For the Responses.

I will check out brothers link, review some of JAYDEEs posts, re-read this post and see what TSN's review system will offer.

Numbers maybe meaningless, I like the KISS Approach that several mentioned, and I do agree with asharperrazor that a comparison to X product to Y product would be nice and I think I would like some commentary and a Closing Thoughts section.

I was just trying to get a feel of what factors to consider and what others consider when evaluating a Shaving Soap/Cream/Stick.

Now I have read several reviews on this and other sites so I know what some others are saying ... but, as I read some of the reviews here I noticed there was no uniformity. While that may not matter, I am looking to review some of my own shaving soaps/creams and wanted to generate a list of things to consider.

1 819
 11-29-2012, 12:53 PM
User Info
(11-29-2012, 05:51 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(11-29-2012, 12:00 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: I'd want to hear a comparison to X product and Y product. The more the better. Unless the comparison is it's exactly the same as X product. In which case, you can stop there.

exactly. the reason we're going to add a review system on the forum itself is to normalize the process and keep the reviews in a central location rather than all over the forum.

I'm looking forward to using it.

24 1,148
 11-29-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
Good information to know and looking forward to the new system, Andrew!

75 20,883