11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Now that I have a small stock of XXX, and a couple others I am considering stocking up on, I had the thought of how nice it would be to be able to open up a fresh tub a decade or so down the line. Thing is, I'm not sure it would last that long without some addition precautions. I'm thinking of using one of those air removal devices commonly used for food storage, maybe include a silica pack or something to prevent moisture.

Has anyone had success preserving creams for extended periods of time? What techniques did you use?

Thanks!

35 1,732
 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Dr. Moss over at SMF has been preserving his creams (he mentioned it in the interview I did with him). Here's the link
http://shavenook.com/thread-interview-wi...chris-moss

116 3,804
 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
Anthony, you could also ask Joe at Italian Barber and see what he suggests for longevity of XXX w/o dehydrating it.

32 6,309
 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(11-28-2012, 08:09 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Anthony, you could also ask Joe at Italian Barber and see what he suggests for longevity of XXX w/o dehydrating it.

Sending Joe an email was actually the first thing I did. Unfortunately his response was that he really wasn't sure, and that creams like XXX weren't exactly designed to last that many years.

I still feel like vacuum sealing them might be my best bet, plus storing in a dry place.

35 1,732
 11-29-2012, 03:09 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Anthony, I'd PM Dr. Moss on here and see if he's got any advice. The man is a genius

116 3,804
 11-29-2012, 03:34 AM
User Info
I have some old creams... my Veleiro tube is surely prior to 2009, since it features the old Confiança address. By the lot no., I believe it is from 2004, but I may be wrong.
I also have a Omega shaving cream with the old formulation with lanolin.

But the older ones are a portuguese "Gillette lima-limão" (lemon & lime) from the 70's, a spanish Williams aqua velva shaving cream from the 90's and a portuguese Scott's shaving cream with indetermined age (maybe 70's or 80's, don't really know).
And a german PRIVILEG shaving cream, made by Florena, in the old East Germany (80's or earlier).

Each one of those show no signs of degradation, and perform good.

2 5,527
 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM
User Info
Most of the shaving creams I've reviewed (couple dozen) have a use by date printed on the container that averages 24 months after date of manufacture. With an airtight seal I've opened creams 5 or more years old and they were fine, but once opened I used them up. Shavers have reported success with soaps 50-60 years old but creams, no, they're not designed to last.

0 500
 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
I don't know how they were stored originally, but I have some old jars of Penhaligon's Lords shaving cream, which is dried out but reconstitutes beautifully with distilled water.

184 12,002
 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM
User Info
John raises a good point, dried out creams can be resuscitated, or used as a shaving soap for that matter. My comment about longevity presupposed the shaver wanted to use the cream in it's original consistency.

0 500
 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
I don't mean to be a downer and respect the wisdom of our group but isn't possible bacterial contamination a real possibility?

In the cosmectics industry 6 months is reccomended and anything near one's eyes is 3 months old and then out they go.

Do these have the original seal? I would imagine then that the freezer bag vaccum may work best, but they are not sterile.

I understand people try vintage soaps but it seems risky.

0 135
 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
In registers to whether or not they are sealed, yes they still are. Bacterial contamination is a real concern, which is why I'm considering the vacuum sealing.

I had been wondering if your Lords was dried out or not, good took know it comes back well.

This thread has been encouraging, it well be something I think on.

35 1,732