11-28-2012, 07:14 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
So, I'm on a business trip. In order to make my shaving supplies more portable, I bought a Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving stick. I have been rubbing a little on my face, and then face lathering it with a brush. This makes a thick layer on my face that the razor doesn't really seem to get through. It is not the nice, fluffy hard peak lather that I get in a bowl. What do you experts think I should try?

0 51
 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
User Info
Dip the brush tips in some water & work the lather some more. It sounds under-hydrated. Others would say it's dry.

31 7,912
 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
What Brian suggests, needs more water, keep dipping it and working the lather until you are happy with it.

88 4,233
 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
When I do that I am flipping water all over the bathroom - which is not really a problem because I am in a hotel and the maid can clean it. Should I be putting on less soap?

0 51
 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
Just dip the brush tips. Not that much water at one time that its slinging around everywhere.

What brush are you using?

31 7,912
 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
User Info
Rub just enough soap so that a white film begins to form on the face. No need to grind a bunch of soap into the stubble, which I was doing when I started using sticks, and ended up with my lather much too thick and dry.

2 362
 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
User Info
The difference with using stocks is that you're building the lather more on your face instead if in the brush. Just keep working the brush & water to get the soap into the brush enough for your subsequent passes.

How long are you spending to build the lather?

31 7,912
 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM
User Info
That's what I was going to ask also... what brush? Can you measure the dimensions of the knot? Base diameter and loft? Even in inches would be OK, we can convert.

I was sent a Shea Moisture Brush and it sprayed more than Daffy Duck did when speaking. It didn't last long before I gave it away, as it was given to me. Some brushes are great face latherers, and some are great bowl latherers. I made sure that Shea MB went to a bowl latherer. BTW, I'd describe the action of the bristles of the SMB as springy, and that was it's problem.

One thing I did find about the SMB was to just take it easy until I had the lather started, which didn't take long. It was a lathering fool. Once the lather started I could go to town with it and it stopped spraying.

Try just using just 1/3 of the brush too, less to begin lathering. That will decrease the spraying, or it did with the SMB I write of.

Here's a thread that discusses face lathering and brushes a bit.

You're tied to the stick itself for travel, but in my shave den I turn most sticks into pucks and load from the puck, then face lather.

32 6,308
 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
I'm using an Edwin Jagger travel brush, knot 20 mm, loft 50 mm,pure badger. I am lathering for maybe 2 minutes.

I think I'm doing what Seth mentioned - rubbing on too much soap and then ending up with a thick, dry lather.

I don't know if water temp is important (I don't think that it is), but just so that you know, I am in Honduras and only have cold water in the hotel. (My morning shower really wakes me up!)

0 51
 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Do you speak any Spanish , fellow Utahn? JUst check my video (in Spanish) about how to make lather from a shaving stick using different methods.

The TOBS stick is like a very , very thick, dense cream.I have the sandalwood one and works better with extra water on the brush , but not by much.You can read my review (in English) HERE.

86 7,123
 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
Teiste, sadly I do not speak Spanish, but your video was so good that I learned a lot. In my situation, Metodo 1 is the best. I also liked your review of the TOBS Stick. I also like the scent of TOBS Sandalwood.

Everyone, thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a try in the morning, and let you know tomorrow night how the shave went!

0 51
 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM
User Info
My experience was similar to Seth. I was rubbing on too much soap, which made the lather too thick, and it would clog up the razor even after I added water by dipping the brush tips. When I changed to rubbing on less soap, things cleared right up. Good Luck!

15 316
 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
Exactly why I started milling sticks into Ziploc tubs. I've kept my Arko intact, however, just for some variety.

2 362
 11-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
Instead of rubbing the stick on my face, I loaded the brush directly on the stick and then worked up a lather on my face. It worked much better - no thick, dry paste on my face, and the lather was almost as nice as I usually get in my Big Bill Bowl.

Thanks for your suggestions - they really helped me.

0 51
 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
User Info
Congrats!

31 7,912
 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
(11-29-2012, 05:14 PM)Utah-Man Wrote: Instead of rubbing the stick on my face, I loaded the brush directly on the stick and then worked up a lather on my face. It worked much better - no thick, dry paste on my face, and the lather was almost as nice as I usually get in my Big Bill Bowl.

Thanks for your suggestions - they really helped me.

When I first tried face lathering, I too got the thick, dry, razor clogging lather. With a little practice, I realized I was not using enough water. Once I starting dipping the brush in to the hot water more, I started getting great lather. IMHO, face lathering takes some patience and practice. Once mastered, it is a neat way to shave!!

Hope this helps,
Ed

19 697