11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
User Info
So ... Who here purchased the D01 2-band TSN brush? How do you like it? I am most interested in hearing from someone who bought both D01 brushes. I was originally thinking about trying to find a D01 2-band TSN brush on BST, but that would give me three of the same style which is just too much. While I'm using almost exclusively LE brushes now in my rotation, 3 of any kind is too much.

So I was thinking about having Bernd re-knot my Ever Ready 200T with a 23mm D01 2-Band. I figure that would be pretty freaking rare right there. Biggrin But before I pay the price for a restore (honestly the deal we got on those knots is nuts) I'd like some opinions on the 2-band.

129 6,685
 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I say that you go for it. I own a 25/50mm 2-band Shavemac, in the beginning it's a little prickly but after just a few uses the tips get much softer.

10 1,120
 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've only used my TSN D-01 2 Band twice but it's hasn't met my expectations yet. This may be because it's so new but we will see. I have had trouble making enough lather. I've had to reload every pass during both shaves. Both times were with soaps that are excellent performers with other brushes. So far my SOC 2 Band out performs it but I'm hoping my Shavemac will continue to get better.

45 3,955
 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
User Info
I hate it. I hate scritch. IMO, if you like scritch, why not just buy a TGN Finest, makes no sense to pay exhorbitant prices for something that really isn't any better.

Also, Rudy Vey and Bob Quinn (Elite Razor aka Eskimo) can get the Shavemac knots for you.

All IMO. Obviously everyone will not agree with me.

9 2,988
 11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I find that the shavemac 2-band and semogue 2-band are very much alike. I personally wouldn't compare it to TGN 2-band knot. The TGN knots don't have any prickly feeling to me. The shavemac and semogue had that prickly feeling only with the first couple of uses, that feeling died down and they softened up well.

10 1,120
 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM
User Info
(11-29-2012, 03:03 PM)MickToley Wrote: I find that the shavemac 2-band and semogue 2-band are very much alike. I personally wouldn't compare it to TGN 2-band knot. The TGN knots don't have any prickly feeling to me. The shavemac and semogue had that prickly feeling only with the first couple of uses, that feeling died down and they softened up well.

not to get too off topic, but I don't get any scritch or prickle from my 2 band TGN finest either Shy

8 2,718
 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
User Info
I don't mind the "scritch", but I am disappointed in the having to re-lather. I am getting one good pass, one ample pass, and then going back for more cream. The same cream and other brushes produce much more lather.

It is not as soft as my other 2-bands, but it will stay in rotation for variety.

0 32
 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(11-29-2012, 03:28 PM)rquisen Wrote: I don't mind the "scritch", but I am disappointed in the having to re-lather. I am getting one good pass, one ample pass, and then going back for more cream. The same cream and other brushes produce much more lather.

It is not as soft as my other 2-bands, but it will stay in rotation for variety.

Exactly how I feel. I'm very surprised with how poor it holds lather. I'm really hoping it gets better. I too will keep mine just because it's an LE and I think it looks amazing.

45 3,955
 11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
User Info
I've read many times that the D01 knots (both 2 & 3-band) need some use to break in. While I don't have the 2-band I am experiencing the poor lather retention & flow from my D01 3-band. Hopefully it will open up in time. I may just be spoiled by recent brushes that performed superbly from their first use.

No, I'm not very patient.

31 7,914
 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Recently I used my new Semogue Italian Barber LE Boar Brush (1305) on it's first use with my Strop Shoppe soap. I got plenty of lather even though it was only the first use with a brand new boar. Yesterday I used my Shavemac 2 Band with the same soap and it only lathered about half as well as the brand new boar. It concerns me that it can't out perform a brand new boar.

45 3,955
 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM
User Info
I hate prickle. No matter how soft a brush is or how big bloom it has, it can have prickly hairs. My D01 2-band custom brush has the scrubbiest tips of all my brushes, very much alike my Semogue 2011 LE 2 Finest. The D01 is not that dense though. It doesn't open much, that's why it needs longer loading time to make sure the soap goes in the knot, particularly important when face lather. BUT it's not prickly or scritchy, just very scrubby.

2 180
 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM
User Info
(11-29-2012, 05:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've read many times that the D01 knots (both 2 & 3-band) need some use to break in. While I don't have the 2-band I am experiencing the poor lather retention & flow from my D01 3-band. Hopefully it will open up in time. I may just be spoiled by recent brushes that performed superbly from their first use.

You have to load it up like a Chubby. This D01 3 band didn't need any break in. No scratch from the center of the knot either.

That said, the glue bump is killing it for me. I think I'm preferring the silvertip because the glue bump is only a glue ring.

9 2,988
 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
User Info
(11-29-2012, 10:08 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(11-29-2012, 05:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've read many times that the D01 knots (both 2 & 3-band) need some use to break in. While I don't have the 2-band I am experiencing the poor lather retention & flow from my D01 3-band. Hopefully it will open up in time. I may just be spoiled by recent brushes that performed superbly from their first use.

You have to load it up like a Chubby. This D01 3 band didn't need any break in. No scratch from the center of the knot either.

That said, the glue bump is killing it for me. I think I'm preferring the silvertip because the glue bump is only a glue ring.

Yes, the glue bump is certainly frustrating me now that I've experienced brushes without them noticeable. I will certainly overload on my next use to really see. Thanks!

31 7,914
 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(11-29-2012, 10:08 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: the glue bump is killing it for me.

(11-29-2012, 05:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: the glue bump is certainly frustrating me now that I've experienced brushes without them noticeable.

Now I must go check mine for a glue bump. *Fingers crossed*

10 1,120
 11-29-2012, 10:21 PM
User Info
Very few manufacturers don't have glue bumps.

Off the top of my head:

Simpson/Vulfix & whoever Vulfix makes brushes for (T&H and DRH)
Plisson (due to construction)
Vie Long (due to construction)

That's it really. I can't think of anyone else. Haven't held a Da Vinci or Savile Rowe in hand, so cannot speak for them.

9 2,988
 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
I must be doing something wrong - I am experiencing none of the problems mentioned above about the D01 2 band. The 2 band lathers well for me and has an appropriate backbone.

I also bought the D01 sivertip extra, so far I prefer this brush to the 2 band solely because of face feel, just luxurious!

0 295
 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
Off topic:
My 58 2-band has one of the biggest glue bumps of all my brushes, and I like it a lot, not less than other brushes without glue bumps at least.

Do you know for fact that Simpsons/Vulfix make brushes for T&H? If yes, which ones - the Super models or the Silvertip too?

(11-29-2012, 10:21 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Very few manufacturers don't have glue bumps.

Off the top of my head:

That's it really. I can't think of anyone else. Haven't held a Da Vinci or Savile Rowe in hand, so cannot speak for them.

2 180
 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM
User Info
(11-29-2012, 10:21 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Very few manufacturers don't have glue bumps.

Off the top of my head:

adding to the list of non-glue bumps in my den.

Kent
Savile Row
Thater
M&F
Shavemac silvertip.

so you are saying your Simpson does not have a glue bump? all mine have had them. unless the glue is ouzing out the top of the brush, does anyone really care? i have seen some simpsons lately (one recently on a BST thread) that was a T2 handle with a 44mm loft...looked like they decided to cram whatever left over knot they had in the handle and sell it. it was the ugliest looking brush i had ever seen. so in would not have a glue bump, the the knot was horrendous looking and likely performing.

as for the T&H & DRH vs Simpson. it was my impression, that if they were made by someone, they were actually made by Rooney.

Bump or not, if the brush works, use it.

do the WSP brushes have "glue bumps"...i have heard they do

8 2,718
 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM
User Info
I've used all of the current WSP brushes and the only one with a glue bump above the handle is the Black Badger.

Yes, I can feel a difference between a glue bump and not especially when 2 brushes have similar knot/loft dimensions. The glue bump makes the loft shorter than it measures externally and alters the dynamics of the brush performance. Is it poor performance, no. Is there a difference, yes.

Technically I believe the WSP brushes do have a glue bump but it's inside the handle and thus does not change the effective loft as measured externally. The glue bump itself isn't a problem, it's how it changes the loft which we measure externally. So when purchasing a brush with a given loft (shavemac D01 as a recent example) it performs much differently than I anticipated. This is mainly because it's my first shavemac and I was expecting it to perform as my others whose loft is as measured externally.

31 7,914
 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM
User Info
So, basically what you're saying is that glue bumps "are frustrating" because they change the expected behaviour of the brushes based on your experience, not that they cause the brushes to perfrom poorly in general?

(11-30-2012, 08:09 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've used all of the current WSP brushes and the only one with a glue bump above the handle is the Black Badger.

Yes, I can feel a difference between a glue bump and not especially when 2 brushes have similar knot/loft dimensions. The glue bump makes the loft shorter than it measures externally and alters the dynamics of the brush performance. Is it poor performance, no. Is there a difference, yes.

Technically I believe the WSP brushes do have a glue bump but it's inside the handle and thus does not change the effective loft as measured externally. The glue bump itself isn't a problem, it's how it changes the loft which we measure externally. So when purchasing a brush with a given loft (shavemac D01 as a recent example) it performs much differently than I anticipated. This is mainly because it's my first shavemac and I was expecting it to perform as my others whose loft is as measured externally.

2 180