11-29-2012, 01:08 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250991.JPG?m=1354221881]

"LaDolce Vita".Yes , the sweet life.Not only a Federico Fellini movie , but a state of mind , or better said , a way of life.And how is it related to a shaving cream? Well , every time I used this cream and Acqua Di Parma , I do enjoy a portion of La Dolce Vita , which , let me tell you , is simply fantastic.

This cream is made in Italy , (Florence) , by Ludovico Martelli , the owners/founders of Proraso. Santa Maria La Novella is the oldest pharmacy in Europe , and was founded in 1612 in Florence , the city of marvels , and the city where Stendhal suffered from his own disease (ha!) , after being surrender by so much beauty around him.You can also find a Santa Maria La Novella store there , which is also the oldest one.

[Image: P1250994.JPG?m=1354221881]

This cream comes in a plastic jar with 220 ml (7.4 oz).Its container is so different than the Acqua Di Parma one.A friend of mine told me that Acqua Di Parma reflects the opulence of Northen Italy , more cosmopolitan and industrialized, while Santa Maria La Novella is more like the old Rome or Florence , with a discrete elegance. Im totally in agreement with that statement : this is an elegant cream , but very sober in style.

The old ingredients of this cream are :

[Image: P1250995.JPG?m=1354221918]

So we can read that contains Eucaliptus oil , as well as camphor , menthol and lanolin.This version also has parabens , SLS and Boric Acid.

Is it very different than old Proraso and Omega with lanolin? No at all , Im afraid , but its scent is a little bit more subtle. However , the menthol is there , and is simply perfect to use it in hot days/summer or if you want a cream that gives you a "kick" in the morning to wake up.

[Image: P1250993.JPG?m=1354221881]

And what about the shave? and what about the lather? and what about the luxury?...I know , thats whats in your minds , gents.Biggrin The shave is simply perfect , due to the lanolin , which truly makes the difference , specially if you have very dry skin like I do.The lather is very thick and creamy (come on , we all have used Proraso!) and slick , much more than Acqua Di Parma tub , for example.And its scent , as I said , is very subtle , not strong or overpowering , but just right to give you a fresh , clean "sniff" of it.And if we add the cooling sensation , then we have a cream that many will truly enjoy and like a lot , specially , as I wrote , for summer/hot days.

Ok , Im going to show you a picture of the lather I made from this cream , which I took back in 2010 , using a Semogue L.E. selected silvertip 2010 (what a perfect combination , both cream and brush !)

[Image: smn2.jpg?m=1354224248]

Thick , creamy and slick lather , excellent for shaving.

Its not an inexpensive shaving cream , cost 68 dollars at Lafco Santa Maria La Novella U.S.A , but let me tell you , a jar last forever ( I have mine since 2010 and is not half way yet) and gives you excellent shaves, so is not that "expensive" after all.

La Dolce Vita.One of these days , I'm going to fully enjoy it. Right now , I do have a portion of it when I use this cream and I daydream of being in Florence , Rome , Amalfi or Toscana and enjoying the beauty of Italy...

86 7,123
 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
Very eloquent review and spot on.
Tieste, have you tried this with SMN pre/post shave cream? If not you must as it's the perfect combination.

8 243
 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks for the review! Good good cream! I still say it's Proraso with butter Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Great review Teiste!!! I too enjoy SMN and achieve great shaves with it. Sure it's pricey but IMO worth every penny as it lasts for ever and makes my face feel great!

Andiamo con La Dolce Vita!

45 708
 11-29-2012, 04:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-29-2012, 01:23 PM)jodypress Wrote: Very eloquent review and spot on.
Tieste, have you tried this with SMN pre/post shave cream? If not you must as it's the perfect combination.

No , I havent and I should !

(11-29-2012, 01:26 PM)beartrap Wrote: Thanks for the review! Good good cream! I still say it's Proraso with butter Biggrin

Well , yes.The "butter" is called lanolin.Biggrin

(11-29-2012, 01:28 PM)GMofmiami Wrote: Great review Teiste!!! I too enjoy SMN and achieve great shaves with it. Sure it's pricey but IMO worth every penny as it lasts for ever and makes my face feel great!

Andiamo con La Dolce Vita!

Yes , its worth every penny , due to its good skin care properties and how long it last : mine tub is from sept , 2010.

86 7,123
 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
Teiste,

You just about brought me to tears... so many memories of hot summer days spent in Rome and Florence and Toscana; what an amazing review you have presented!

3 315
 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
Interesting review,Teiste.
Lanolin is good for the skin.

0 162
 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Speaking of SMN store, Teiste. Do you know the prices locally?

88 4,233
 11-29-2012, 08:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-29-2012, 08:47 PM)beartrap Wrote: Speaking of SMN store, Teiste. Do you know the prices locally?

In Italy I think the cream cost around 30 something euros.In Spain , around 40 something.Here in USA , 68 dollars.I will check with friends the exact prices and let you know.

86 7,123
 11-29-2012, 09:29 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-29-2012, 08:59 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-29-2012, 08:47 PM)beartrap Wrote: Speaking of SMN store, Teiste. Do you know the prices locally?

In Italy I think the cream cost around 30 something euros.In Spain , around 40 something.Here in USA , 68 dollars.I will check with friends the exact prices and let you know.

Please do, for 30 Euro I will pick up a tub.

88 4,233
 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
User Info
Excellent review, Teiste. A joy to read !

I'm an SMN fan, and have had my pot since March last year.
I've used it maybe a dozen times by now, and to me it's still only 5% better than the new green Proraso in the tube, so not quite worth it - but what is really that, when you think about it Biggrin

I will repurchase a new pot, once I'm done with this - but that might not be before the year of 2015 to be honest - having 40-50 creams in my rotation..... Cool

How do you honestly feel about SMN compared to old Omega and new green Proraso ?

22 5,064
 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-29-2012, 10:54 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Excellent review, Teiste. A joy to read !

I'm an SMN fan, and have had my pot since March last year.
I've used it maybe a dozen times by now, and to me it's still only 5% better than the new green Proraso in the tube, so not quite worth it - but what is really that, when you think about it Biggrin

I will repurchase a new pot, once I'm done with this - but that might not be before the year of 2015 to be honest - having 40-50 creams in my rotation..... Cool

How do you honestly feel about SMN compared to old Omega and new green Proraso ?

The old Omega with lanolin and SMN with lanolin are the same product (for me).The new Proraso soap/cream are excellent , and they provide a great skin care , but the lanolin makes the difference for extra dry skin like mine.However , if you use a Proraso pre , Im sure it will be as good as SMN by itself.

86 7,123