11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
My Oh My,,
These razors were passed over by another restorer and he suggested the board member contact me. I guess he figured I'm a glutton for punishment,or he has something against me, or knows I'm just stupid enough to take a run at them.
How did they get this way you may ask. Turns out the guy had a flood in his bathroom, these got soaked, he wasn't totally into straights at the time and let them sit for quite a while.
So I gamely said " Sure, send them, I'll see what I can do"
He only wanted the blades cleaned up and to reuse the original scales. Two weren't bad ( scales) but I got him to allow me to clean up the scales that were on the W&B. Actually the rust was so heavy I had a hard time determining just what these razors were!
I was totally surprised to find out , after I removed the pathetic AOS logo , just what this razor was!
The W&B and the Bismark cleaned up fine. The Art of Shaving razor is a TI. This one , because of the thinness of the blade and the amount of pitting I left in a brushed finish. I couldn't take the paper thin blade any further without turning it into tracing paper.
Here are the before and after shots for your amusement.

Attached Files Image(s)

0 772
 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
Sorry,, I was having difficulty in getting the photos in the right sequence. They're still off,, but I hope you get the idea.

0 772
 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Beautiful work!

9 408
 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
NIce ! love the Bismark result ! Smile

0 1,291
 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Mark

Beautiful work, you really brought those three razors back to life Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
Wow, Mark, you sure enjoy the impossible challenges!!
That first blade was horrendously stained!
Fantastic work!

74 20,776
 11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
User Info
Mark, sir, you are a polishing wizard! Wow.

24 1,099
 11-29-2012, 08:11 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Thanks for the saves! Great razors; all!

8 1,190
 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
Thanks guys, you sure know how to make me feel good! Granted these aren't perfect but I'm happy with how far they have come.
Yeah, that first couple of photos is of the W&B. It was pretty rough but it came through in decent condition. At least the guy can use these again and get back into straight shaving. Hopefully he'll be a bit more careful this time around.
Steel and water ultimately don't mix. Funny,, Steel, so strong, water, nothing really to it but look who was winning out. Steel didn't stand a chance.

0 772
 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
Amazing restoration work.

36 2,566
 12-01-2012, 01:24 AM
User Info
this is really like nip/tuck.

Question: what is your take of the quality of the modern TI compared to the vintage ones in term of steel, grind etc.
When they come to you, it is like the passed through a time-warp-tunnel.

6 808
 12-01-2012, 08:30 AM
User Info
Seems the newest ones I've worked on tend to be very rusty!

Now this is just an odd observation, but the rust on this blade was quite different from rust on the other blades. This rust acted more like rust I've found on some Pumas. It was almost like a small jet black spider was glued to the surface and left weird pitting.It seems to happen in an almost crystal like pattern. Most rust is more like a coating of sand,, for lack of a better description. So that leads me to believe that the steel itself ( like the Pumas) must be different in some way causing this peculiar pattern. And it almost is a pattern that develops across the surface. I'm not a metallurgist, nor have I researched what metals these companies use, but something is different.

Now compared to older pieces I've worked on. Well, here too it's not an analytical thing , just a sensitivity thing where the steel does seem to be harder. Now it's just a tactile response to the feedback I get when sanding the steel, honing etc. that gives me this feeling. Not sure if it's a difference in Rc. hardness or the steel itself. But they take an edge differently than other blades. Or so it seems.
But overall, they seem to have similar grinds as far as the thinness of the blades themselves. On this one I was limited to how much I could sand because of this fact.
Fortunately the other blades I've worked on were no where near this condition and I was limited to just a nice polish up and rescale.
So after all that I guess I didn't really come up with a definitive answer as far as the composition of the steel but rather a subjective look at the grinds and feedback that I get from them.
This one, like the others, ended up popping hairs silently. Just wish this blade's edge was in better condition overall.

0 772
 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM
User Info
Wow, night and day difference. The results are stunning.

129 6,685
 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Stunning work! The pitting on that TI is totally understandable, but man did that W&B clean up good.

I've seen my fair share of rusty blades, but those ones leave me baffled. Its almost as if they were stored in a bucket of water or something

9 541
 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
User Info
Thanks GreekGuy,
Yes, the W&B gave me more material to work with so I was able to get that much closer.

A flooded bathroom, wet razors, then putting them away for some time allowed this to happen. Doesn't take long especially if the conditions are right.

0 772
 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
Astonishing transformation. I thought you'd lose at least one of these razors.

21 1,444