11-29-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
We don't know the formula or even the ingredients of the old Yardley soap that's long since gone away, but many of us have had occasion to use it. Yardley soap makes an excellent rich creamy lather, and it's rumored to have contained tallow. One day as I was using Speick soap, it occurred to me that hypothetically, if someone got hold of the old Yardley recipe and tweaked it a bit and added a different fragrance, the Speick soap could pass for Yardley or vice versa, and the same seems plausible for Palmolive soap stick, both of which are also tallow based soaps. Just a thought, no way to verify anything, but it is something to think about.

24 1,099
 11-29-2012, 05:33 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Whem you write "connection" , do you mean maker?

I dont find the Speick stick as good as the Palmolive , and I have tried an old Yardley soap (tallow) which created a superior lather , even better than the Palmolive stick.

For me , tallow is not a "magical" ingredient , but old Yardley soap was fantastic , as well as the Geo F Trumper tallow based soaps.

86 7,123
 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
I'm thinking the recipe might have found its way into the hands of someone who may be responsible for keeping it alive in some form or other.

24 1,099
 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I doubt it even if the ingredients are similar but it is impossible to say for sure.
The Yardley English Lavander shave stick that came in a glass tube makes great lather and has a great scent, it would be nice if it came back on the market.

2 500
 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Maybe I'm crazy, but I find the Speick stick lathers so well. Just as well as the Palmolive stick.

3 2,543
 12-04-2012, 02:25 AM
  • TonyN
  • Lawrenceville, GA US
User Info
(11-29-2012, 05:33 PM)Teiste Wrote: I dont find the Speick stick as good as the Palmolive

IMO the Palmolive is a slicker lather than the Speick.

I haven't had the chance to try Yardley or the tallow GFT.

1 430
 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Alas I never had the opportunity to try Yardley... Sad

Definitely a tallow fan though!

91 17,610