11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I think I'm in love... But I'm not sure exactly why...I've been doing a blade test lately. I have been trying my 3 razors with 10 different blades in a round robin fashion for 3 shaves each. (Yea I know- Very scientific). Things have been going well as I have scored 1 round so far. (I'm estimating I'll be done some time in February). Well to my chagrin I ordered and received a Shick Krona on Monday. Cleaned it up and loaded it with a PolSilver blade. (This was not intended to be part of the test, I just wanted to try my new razor). Shaved with it on Tuesday. Extremely pleased with the shave.. I returned to my blade test on Wednesday. This morning I was reaching for the next razor to continue on with my test, but reached over my Fatboy and grabbed the Krona instead. What a great razor. Smooth and just the right amount of aggression for me. My 1st shave I went with C.O.Bigelow cream. This morning I used a concoction soap I came up with. My soap lathers well and I got another great shave with the Krona. My AS splash was quite refreshing with almost no sting. Another great shave from this razor/blade combination..Is it the razor or the blade? This was my 1st time with the PolSilver. I am going to move them up in my blade test. If these blades shave that good in my other razors, Phil will be hearing from me very soon... I may just shut the blade test down... If it is the razor, I will be looking for a couple more Krona's so I can be full of Shick!!!....lol... Thoughts? Happy Shaves Everybody!!!!

5 1,151
 11-29-2012, 11:53 PM
User Info
Polsilvers are one of 3 blades I use exclusively. Great blade.

9 1,199
 11-30-2012, 04:08 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I've discovered that the Schick Krona works with most any blade. Hands down my favorite TTO razor of all of em.

116 3,804
 11-30-2012, 05:05 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The Krona was one of the best razors ever made for its time. It was over shadowed by Gillette. Polsilver is a great blade and can make razors even better.

100 12,444
 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM
User Info
It is a good thing when you find the combination that works great for you. The Krona is a nice mild and smooth razor that works well especially with extremely sharp blades (i.e. Feathers) for me.

1 2,827
 11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
Told ya you would like the Polsilver SI's

12 648
 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM
User Info
Enjoy the experimenting! Just stick to that combo if it works!

75 20,883
 11-30-2012, 09:23 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
PolSilver are on my top 5 blade list.

1 3,507
 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(11-30-2012, 08:31 AM)J_fro Wrote: Told ya you would like the Polsilver SI's

Yes you did sir. I have to say it feels/works nice. I gave 1 blade to my niece's beau. He's just started. I have 3 blades left. Time to try one in my other 3 razors... Thanks again Monseigneur for PIFing me such fine hardware...

OK I've been thinking this over all day. I shaved this morning with my Fatboy with a Shark SP. I got a pretty good shave. I HAVE changed up my routine a bit after getting some neck irritation. I have been doing WTG, XTG<, XTG>. NO ATG... That could be the reason for the success with the Krona/PolSilver love affair. Fatboy gave me a pretty darned good shave today. I'm thinking my change in routine has brought me benefits... SO I have decided to just add the Krona in the rotation for the blade test. 1 more shave with the PolSilver in it and it will be right in line with my test. That will add 1 more month to my test. (I just won an e-bay auction for a Red Tip. My AD is screwing my blade test up...lol).

5 1,151
 11-30-2012, 06:36 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
You'll discover that as your technique improves your shaves improve even more. When I first started I couldn't get a good shave with a Tech or a Krona. Once my technique improved, I fell in love with the Techs, Superspeeds, and Kronas and get a great shave with most any razor.

116 3,804
 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
User Info
I threw in a Polsilver this morning after going back to Crystals for a week. Great shave, so smooth!

10 2,062
 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Funny how YMMV. the PolSilver Super Iridium is an okay blade for me (I'm using one this week) but definitely not in my top three or four. I wouldn't not use one but there are better out there for me.

2 11,211
 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I had tried Polsilver only once in my EJ D878 and didn't think much of it and I have preferred using Lord and Personnas. I recently got a Shick Krona and your post encouraged me to try the Polsilver again. Good results this morning, there could be something to this combo. Thanks!

0 62
 12-03-2012, 06:05 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I don't prescribe to the practise of matching blades to razors.

I've found my perfect blade and that's all I use across my range of razors. I see merit in choosing a mild blade to tone down an aggressive razor and vice versa, but it's a practise that doesn't interest me as it seems contrary to purpose - why use an aggressive razor if you want a mild shave?

As it's the blade that actually does the cutting it was important to me to find the most effective and comfortable one for me.

And for me, it's Super Iridiums, Polsilvers and their variants. I do get good results from other blades, but not consistently.

A blade may impact on a razor's performance, but I think the major impact on the shave is how the razor presents the blade to the face and it's for that reason that I now try a variety of razors as opposed to a variety of blades or blades and razor combinations.

That said, without experimentation you never can tell what you might be missing out on...

91 17,851
 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
YMMV with any combination, but for me, vintage blades (Gillette Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum, Wilkinson Light Brigade) seem to work better in my Sticky, while more modern blades are better in one of my Kronas.

184 12,003
 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
  • DEW
User Info
(11-29-2012, 09:55 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: I think I'm in love... But I'm not sure exactly why...I've been doing a blade test lately. I have been trying my 3 razors with 10 different blades in a round robin fashion for 3 shaves each. (Yea I know- Very scientific). Things have been going well as I have scored 1 round so far. (I'm estimating I'll be done some time in February). Well to my chagrin I ordered and received a Shick Krona on Monday. Cleaned it up and loaded it with a PolSilver blade. (This was not intended to be part of the test, I just wanted to try my new razor). Shaved with it on Tuesday. Extremely pleased with the shave.. I returned to my blade test on Wednesday. This morning I was reaching for the next razor to continue on with my test, but reached over my Fatboy and grabbed the Krona instead. What a great razor. Smooth and just the right amount of aggression for me. My 1st shave I went with C.O.Bigelow cream. This morning I used a concoction soap I came up with. My soap lathers well and I got another great shave with the Krona. My AS splash was quite refreshing with almost no sting. Another great shave from this razor/blade combination..Is it the razor or the blade? This was my 1st time with the PolSilver. I am going to move them up in my blade test. If these blades shave that good in my other razors, Phil will be hearing from me very soon... I may just shut the blade test down... If it is the razor, I will be looking for a couple more Krona's so I can be full of Shick!!!....lol... Thoughts? Happy Shaves Everybody!!!!

I read your post this AM and decided to use my long neglected Krona, and now I remember why I switched to open comb and Fatip aggressive. The neck looks like razor burn alley and couldn't get the hair off my neck no matter what I tried. Picked up the Fatip, one pass the neck hair gone but the burn from the Krona will take awhile. I love OC's and aggressive for those neck hairs that lays flat against my skin and grows in every direction at the same time.

2 44
 12-21-2012, 09:57 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
OK I had to bump this thread. I have been on a kind of Krona RAD lately. I now have 3 on hand and am waiting for 1 more. I was recently PIF'ed some Derby blades. I have tried Pol Silver SI's, Feathers, and now Derby in these fine razors. I was a bit worried about the Derby as I have seen some pretty tough reviews on them..... All I can say is the Krona razor is a gem. Todays shave was smooth, close and comfortable. Easily a DFS. So far in my razor/blade tests some blades work better in different razors. NOT SO with Shick's DE champion. So far every blade I've thrown at this marvel has performed well... It has to be the razor. The Krona is HANDS DOWN my favorite razor. I have yet to get any razor burn and have found that if I have had a rough shave I can go to the Krona the next day and get a close shave without extending the effects of a bad shave the day before... I have decided to use one of these Kronas in my Newbee Initiation Kit (NIK) that I'm putting together for friends who would like to try wet shaving.

5 1,151
 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
(11-30-2012, 05:05 AM)slantman Wrote: The Krona was one of the best razors ever made for its time. It was over shadowed by Gillette. Polsilver is a great blade and can make razors even better.

Indeed the Korona was amongst the best made at the time and it has held up over time too. Not a lot of inexpensive razors can say that.

129 6,685