11-30-2012, 01:48 AM
User Info
Hello all,

I was hoping to get primarily people's impressions about Shavemac Finest. I'll be going with a custom Shavemac again sometime down the road, and I've never had any first hand experience with finest. I've had d01 3-band and silvertip and am curious about Finest compared to that.

To get a wider pool any comments compared to any brush would be helpful. I think at this point in time there's not much I haven't sampled sadly and any comparisons are most helpful! Smile

10 463
 11-30-2012, 02:57 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
To me shavemac's finest and Simpson's best have almost the same characteristics. I like them very much: soft tips, good backbone and a very attractive price. For me it's the sweet spot in badger hairs.

0 229
 11-30-2012, 04:53 AM
User Info
(11-30-2012, 02:57 AM)Elbe Wrote: To me shavemac's finest and Simpson's best have almost the same characteristics. I like them very much: soft tips, good backbone and a very attractive price. For me it's the sweet spot in badger hairs.

I would have to give the nod to the Finest vs Simpsons Best though.

My Finest is virtually scritchless, while I can feel some scritch from the Best, not to mention the Finest flows so much better; almost too good.

For me, I don't see the point of any other 3 band from Shavemac.

0 652
 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM
User Info
I have a Shavemac Finest & Silvertip. I believe the finest is the best value in a shave brush. The only difference I find is the price its not much only $20 from finest-silvertip but man that finest brush whips up a great lather.

2 49
 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-30-2012, 02:57 AM)Elbe Wrote: To me shavemac's finest and Simpson's best have almost the same characteristics. I like them very much: soft tips, good backbone and a very attractive price. For me it's the sweet spot in badger hairs.

You have summarized my thoughts , but usually shavemac finest have softer tips , almost like the shavemac's regular silvertip badger hair.

86 7,124
 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM
User Info
(11-30-2012, 12:49 PM)Teiste Wrote:

You have summarized my thoughts , but usually shavemac finest have softer tips , almost like the shavemac's regular silvertip badger hair.

I agree that the finest is probably the best bang for the buck of any grades out there. If I recall (bad memory) Bernd has stated the finest is 60% silvertip and 40% pure which would explain the softness of the brush (it may have a higher silvertip to pure ratio but it is at least 60/40). I am **really** glad I picked one of these up.

129 6,685
 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I have a Shavemac that Bernd repaired for me where I got a Finest knot put back into it mainly due to the cost of DO1 and I actually like it much better. The Finest knot I got is 23mm with a 52mm loft and is probably one of my better brushes. I wish I had known how good they were when I bought the DO1 in the first place...would saved me alot of hassle and frustration...

68 1,417