11-30-2012, 03:08 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have a gift card from AoS that has a few bucks left on it..

I have been to their website a gojillion times and sad to say, I can't spend the money. There is nothing there that I find interesting.

I would take a visit to the store and get a shave, but.. Not really interested in that either.

Sad...

33 914
 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-30-2012, 03:08 AM)MikekiM Wrote: I have a gift card from AoS that has a few bucks left on it..

I have been to their website a gojillion times and sad to say, I can't spend the money. There is nothing there that I find interesting.

I would take a visit to the store and get a shave, but.. Not really interested in that either.

Sad...

O..k..Well, give it to a friend or family member who could better benefit from it, or at the least PIF it to someone online. Problem solved, no more waste or sadness..

31 1,510
 11-30-2012, 04:24 AM
User Info
I want their soap, but cannot bring myself to pay for it.

9 2,988
 11-30-2012, 04:30 AM
User Info
I think their "software" is really nice. The prices are on the high end, but not too outrageous. The are in line with DR Harris and Trumpers and the like. The Ocean Kelp cream is definitely an interesting (in a good way) product and unique to AOS. I would have no problem spending money there (on soaps or creams only of course!).

72 1,407
 11-30-2012, 05:11 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-30-2012, 04:30 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I think their "software" is really nice. The prices are on the high end, but not too outrageous. The are in line with DR Harris and Trumpers and the like. The Ocean Kelp cream is definitely an interesting (in a good way) product and unique to AOS. I would have no problem spending money there (on soaps or creams only of course!).

I dunno about that, AoS soap is insanely priced at $30 for a 95g refill puck...DR Harris is $12 for a 100g puck. Another perspective is a full 170g jar of Martin de Candre is only $37..of course it's another $20 to get it shipped over here but the soap itself is a better value than AoS.

31 1,510
 11-30-2012, 05:24 AM
User Info
i have 2 of their creams and they are very nice. the Soaps are supposed to be even better.

as for "sad"...it's a gift card, cost you nothing, someone got it for you to enjoy. buy something, anything and see what happens.

8 2,718
 11-30-2012, 05:40 AM
User Info
(11-30-2012, 05:11 AM)Arcadies Wrote: I dunno about that, AoS soap is insanely priced at $30 for a 95g refill puck...DR Harris is $12 for a 100g puck. Another perspective is a full 170g jar of Martin de Candre is only $37..of course it's another $20 to get it shipped over here but the soap itself is a better value than AoS.

You're right about that, I didn't realize their refill pucks were so expensive. But the creams are less outrageously priced and are nice products.

72 1,407
 11-30-2012, 08:46 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I have never tried their product, but heard good things. My mom and brother went into the store just this week got him interested in wetshaving.

I think they really have a place at least sparking peoples interest in wetshaving.

1 111
 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Good soaps , too much marketing , and thats it.The new creams dont even have EO , like the sandalwood one , and Ill rather get some of the creams made in England by Creightons.

86 7,123
 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
User Info
I really like their soaps and balms. Expensive, but excellent.

(11-30-2012, 05:24 AM)Bruce Wrote: [...]
as for "sad"...it's a gift card, cost you nothing, someone got it for you to enjoy. buy something, anything and see what happens.

+1

Enjoy your gift! Thumbsup

2 5,527
 11-30-2012, 12:37 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
It's been so long that I've even looked at their stuff that I had to go back and remind myself why after reading this thread LOL

I was going to suggest something small like a nice razor display stand, figuring it would be cheap.....yeah...ummmm.....I don't need a $100 razor stand, thank you lol

Their $6 plastic brush stands are about the only reasonably priced thing I found. Neat that they have a hole in the back so you could theoretically just screw them into a wall/side of a cabinet and clear up some counter space

10 411
 11-30-2012, 03:53 PM
User Info
The soap is top notch (a scented version of the Valobra stick), the rest I would not buy.

0 42
 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have one tub of their unscented cream and a puck of the Lemon soap. Both lather well and deliver a good shave, but nothing else on their menu seems appetizing. Brushes are either really weak or way over-priced. The DE's and str8's they offer are of no interest. The soap scents are limited and frankly, not that nice (to my nose). The miscellaneous hardware seems to be priced two or three times over more reasonable stuff. Just bought an Omega stand on Amazon...$15 and I thought that was a bit more than it should be.

The store fronts may generate interest, but I'll bet many would-be first-time wet shavers never get to the next step if AoS is their first stop. It would seem the art of wet shaving is a bloody fortune.

Anyway... I am considering a novel way to PiF the balance of the card since it's holiday season.

33 914
 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
I heard a while back that AOS discontinued the Rose shaving cream that was directed at women, but some of the guys found it to be a well-done rose cream. I never had the opportunity to use it, and now I guess I probably never will. They also have an ocean fragranced product, don't they? I don't currently have any AOS products.

24 1,150
 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
They have a product called Ocean Kelp. I have the cream and it's very good. The scent is unique but nice. I don't really think it's ocean scented I think Ocean Kelp is just one of the ingredients.

45 3,955
 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
User Info
(12-01-2012, 01:16 PM)tgutc Wrote: They have a product called Ocean Kelp. I have the cream and it's very good. The scent is unique but nice. I don't really think it's ocean scented I think Ocean Kelp is just one of the ingredients.

I do like the scent of the Ocean Kelp but not the price of it.

0 91
 12-01-2012, 05:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-01-2012, 04:10 PM)ChicagoShaving Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 01:16 PM)tgutc Wrote: They have a product called Ocean Kelp. I have the cream and it's very good. The scent is unique but nice. I don't really think it's ocean scented I think Ocean Kelp is just one of the ingredients.

I do like the scent of the Ocean Kelp but not the price of it.

RazoRock Fresco could be an excellent option if you like the Ocean Kelp scent.

86 7,123
 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
AoS soaps and creams are nice. They perform well and smell nice. I have a refill puck of Sandalwood on my Xmas list. C&S is even more expensive and uses the same base.

2 697
 12-04-2012, 05:32 AM
User Info
The AoS stores make traditional shaving to be a very high cost/high end thing and this is what someone dropping in their store would likely think. Makes the whole Mach 3/Fusion experience seem reasonable.

Too bad you can't go to Walmart or the like and see basic stuff like a decent $20 - 40 razor, blades, KMF, Palmolive stick, Proraso, Omega 49, one of their newer synthetics, or good Vulfix pure badger, etc. This would give anyone considering an alternative to their Mach 3 a different picture.

While I understand shaving can be very high end (and very nice) with $200 razors, feather blades, >$150 brushes, $30 - 50 soaps and creams, and high end ASB and cologne, this is not the only option. As demonstrated in the Bruceonshaving blog, one can have a luxurious shave with some very nice low cost stuff. This is the story that those folks who really can't afford to be paying $25 for a 4pack of cartridges need to hear and even more see. Instead they can go to a high end mall and walk into a high end shaving shop.

Now, I do like the stores. My real gripe is except for stores in NYC or Chicago, AOS is all the general public see for sale and pretty much the only wetshaving idea they'll get while walking around.

OK, I'll quit this rant. Blush

0 140