12-01-2012, 12:50 AM
User Info
A little while back I bought a puck of Walter's Shaving Soap from Prairie Creations. It is meant as her take on the in/famous Williams Shaving Soap, which apparently is one of those you either love or loathe - I've never tried it, so I can't tell you how the Walter shape up against the original.

The Walters is a fairly hard puck of soap, requiring a fair bit of loading to get enough on my brush. It makes a nice, thick creamy lather with plenty of glide and cushion - and it stays nice and creamy too; no collapse or drying out. The Walters could be a bit more moisturising, and the lemon scent is definitely not going to be everybodys cup of tea - in fact, this is the only soap my Better Half insists that I keep in a closed container.

Overall you can do a lot worse than a puck of Walters - I got some better soaps, but they cost a fair bit more.

3 3,437
 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
Technically it's a take on vintage Williams, not the modern formulation.

I have it in the Lemon ( candy smelling ... I love it ), as well as a Rose formulation.

I find both soaps easy, and fun to use. I've used them about a dozen times between the two and will keep them in the rotation. They both easily surpass modern Williams, but I've never used the vintage to have a base point for comparison.

That being said, I prefer her regular 'tallow and lanolin' formula soaps better, especially for post shave face feel.

0 252
 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM
User Info
Tried my first puck of the lemon version a couple weeks ago. Absolutely love it! Easy to lather and I like the scent. Totally superior to modern Williams and a very worthwhile buy. This one is staying in my rotation for sure.

0 6
 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Thanks Gentlemen for your wonderful insight. I've been looking for one of their soaps to try. This might be the one.

14 1,177
 10-28-2013, 08:08 AM
User Info
Not a lot out there on this so I thought I would chime in to an old thread after receiving a lime sample and acquiring some vintage williams.

They do seem rather similar. I had a bit of a time loading the sample, but that was likely because of size.

a few observations:

Vintage Williams lathered a bit easier. I think some of this has more to do with not loading enough easily due using a sample, but not completely.

Vintage Williams is less slick. After 2 passes with vtg williams I added a dab of proraso blue. way better.

Walters provides more lubrication. Again the vtg Williams was surprisingly not very slick

Vtg Williams is super thick, and easy enough to lather, but rather dry

Walters is slightly less thick (might be from poor brush load) but much more slick.

I have to say it is at least a close experience, I am going to try throwing in the rest of the lime sample in with my vtg puck to add some scent and moisture to the lather.

0 1