12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
User Info
It's made in Florida, has a pleasant, "coconutty" fragrance, light blue cream, and very inexpensive. You get a huge 16 ounce tub for around 4 bucks, plus shipping. It is sold as a brushless shaving cream, and claims to be the "world's smoothest shave". I enjoy shaving with it, and it does provide a very good shave whenever I use it. But I've also got all these other goodies to shave with, right?

So here's what I do occasionally, time permitting. In my opinion, Stephan Stay Smooth works very well to soften up and condition the beard for shaving with a conventional lathering soap or cream. Cost per shave is very cheap, considering that the big tub lasts me a good solid 3 months used every day.

Stephans has lanolin, and I know that some guys don't like lanolin. Fortunately, I don't have any problems with the lanolin, and I think it helps condition the beard. I wet my beard and hold a very hot wet washcloth over the beard for a few seconds or so, then I rub the Stephan into the whiskers and leave it while I get the other stuff ready, strop the razor, or whatever, then I again apply the hot wet washcloth to the area, and then I lather up with my shaving cream of choice for the day. I get a very good shave every day.

Another thing I have learned is that distilled water used in soaking the brush and preparing the lather, whether soap or cream, has dramatically changed the quality and quantity of lather, for the better.

I bought mine at Williamsport Barber Supply online for $3.25 a tub, and at that time they had a special - buy three get one free. I doubt if the sale's still going on, but it really doesn't matter, it's so inexpensive to begin with. Shipping's around $10 or so for the 4 big one pound tubs.

In the year before I started using this stuff as a prep, I had used 4 of the little $16 tubs of Prep Pre-shave, and no doubt, it is excellent, but now I've got enough of this Stephan's stuff to last several months before I have to order another 4 tubs of it. Plus, I really look forward to the good fragrance it has. The fragrance goes away as soon as I rinse it off before I shave.

Well, that's what I do guys! Just thought I'd throw it out there.

24 1,151
 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
Very nice! I'll have to look into this. Thanks for sharing!

2 362
 12-01-2012, 05:54 PM
User Info
Sounds like a great product and I am glad it has worked out well for you.

I've been looking for something that smells a bit of coconut so this may be for me but it will have to wait until I arrive back in the states.

2 127
 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
That sounds like something I would like to try. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

0 230
 12-01-2012, 11:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Gary. I will have to see if Appleton Barber Supply sells this.

173 23,533
 12-02-2012, 06:54 AM
User Info
Gary, The next time you order from Williamsport you might want to try Gabel's brushless shave cream. It's a little more expensive but in my opinion better than the Stephan's. It reminds me of Noxzema brushless from years past.

0 36
 12-02-2012, 07:22 AM
User Info
Sid, that's good to know. I've been curious about it. How does it smell?

24 1,151
 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM
User Info
Gary, It smells a lot like Noxzema. Years ago I went to a barbershop for a shave...the barber spread a very thin coat of noxzema on my face before he applied lather. It was a nice close shave. The problem I had with the Stephans was kind of strange...it seemed to numb my upper lip.

0 36
 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM
User Info
That almost imperceptable numbing sensation is unexpected. My son and son in law also enjoy using Stephans as a stand alone shaving cream, and the mild numbing sensation is a part of the overall Stephans experience.

24 1,151
 12-04-2012, 06:14 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
A little piece of me died inside when I read brushless shaving cream...

Coconutty and inexpensive breathed some life back into me though. Tongue

91 17,850
 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 08:48 AM)brothers Wrote: That almost imperceptable numbing sensation is unexpected. My son and son in law also enjoy using Stephans as a stand alone shaving cream, and the mild numbing sensation is a part of the overall Stephans experience.
What ingredient causes the numbness?

21 1,476