12-01-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
A few weeks ago I ordered one of the Vintage Blades branded two band finest brushes. I am not a two band guy, but for $24.99 I had to get one. I ordered the 20mm version (small) and it arrived mid last week. After a few uses, I am blown away at it's build quality and performance.

It is a lathe turned classic shaped faux ivory handle with a gorgeous two band knot set in it. The fit and finish is impeccable, if you told me Lee Sabini made it, I would probably believe you. The tips are freakishly soft but offer tremendous backbone, so hard soaps are a joke for this little guy. The handle is really comfortable in my hands and the flow thru is really good.

If anyone has a spare $25-30 sitting around, this is a must have brush. I am surprised how great it turned out.

Speculation on another forum is that Frank Shaving is behind the manufacturing of these brushes, but I cannot confirm that.

EDIT: I will be sure and post better pictures in a few days, sorry for the plain photos.

Top view.

Attached Files Image(s)

63 2,128
 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
Just because it has the same standard handle everyone sells, doesn't mean Frank Shaving made it.

There are only two handle factories in China and they probably supply 90% of the world's handles.

Vintage Blades is really taking a razor thin margin on this one.

9 2,988
 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Jeremy how's the backbone on it?

116 3,804
 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM
User Info
Jeremy, thanks for the review. Enjoy the brush.

75 20,883
 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM
User Info
Like I said, I cannot confirm or deny who made it, but that's the speculation. Teiste, the maker you mention may or may not have made it but I can say for certain it is a great performer for the money. If it was a junker, I would have piffed it immediately. This brush will stay in my den.

@Dave, the backbone is perfect imo. Those who enjoy a stiff wall of badger type two band won't like it, but it has more than enough for me. I used Trumpers rose hard soap a few shaves with it and it ate up the soap well. The tips are really, really soft so the backbone is enough to compensate easily for that.

63 2,128
 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Jeremy. I like that handle style. Does the knot remind you of TGN?

47 1,270
 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
Tom, I have not used a TGN knotted brush so I cannot compare the two, sorry.

63 2,128
 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. Jim is a really nice guy and I'm glad he's brought an affordable brush to the market for new guys or just to help us addicts get a cheap fix. If it's half as good as you say, it's a great deal.

52 476
 12-01-2012, 11:38 PM
User Info
After reading through this thread again, I almost feel as this thread has been tainted to the point where people might not want to buy one of these great brushes based on a few of the comments. I am the only one who has used the brush here, so I gave my honest review. I understand this is an open forum and don't expect everyone to agree with my opinions on a particular brush, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

63 2,128
 12-01-2012, 11:43 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Jeremy, don't let it bother you. I appreciate the review and was wondering about these brushes since I first saw them on Jim's site. I know Jim, and Jim don't sell junk.

Here is Jim's description of the brushes:

VB Brand Shaving Brushes
We contracted to have this line of shaving brushes made entirely to our specification. Everything from the shape of the handle to the type of hair used and even details such as the loft of the brush was specified to create a brush to meet the needs of even the most discriminating shaver at an affordable price.
The badger hair used in these brushes is called "Finest". It is a unique grade of 2-band badger hair that has very resilient bristles and soft tips. It can feel a bit "scrubby" when dry but is incredibly luxurious when wet. We have found these brushes to be idea for use with our handcrafted artisan shaving soaps, which work best with a brush with more backbone.

173 23,553
 12-01-2012, 11:50 PM
User Info
(12-01-2012, 11:38 PM)cessnabird Wrote: After reading through this thread again, I almost feel as this thread has been tainted to the point where people might not want to buy one of these great brushes based on a few of the comments. I am the only one who has used the brush here, so I gave my honest review. I understand this is an open forum and don't expect everyone to agree with my opinions on a particular brush, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree completely. I always enjoy your posts and I'd hope most of us can see through the noise and appreciate your honest review.

52 476
 12-02-2012, 12:07 AM
User Info
Teiste, the bad taste in my mouth comes from the fact that when people read this thread, they will see that the first post is "assuming" this could be a Li jun brush and the experience you had with one of yours was horrible. Followed by Lee's comment and edited agreement that you are probably right.

At first thought, one might assume this is probably a rebranded, crappy Li Jun brush and won't want to risk taking a chance on it. That's how I would read into it as a new reader of this post.

I am not meaning to be sensitive about the whole thing, hell, I don't represent VB at all anyway so what should I care really. I just think things should have been worded differently to start, as to project a neutral view on a brush which most of you probably haven't yet tried.

I also, should have left out the part about it being rumored as being made by Frank Shaving. That I am sure opened a box of worms but I cannot take it back now.

63 2,128
 12-02-2012, 12:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Sure, you can take it back. You can always edit your post, if you want.

173 23,553
 12-02-2012, 12:29 AM
User Info
The Frank Shaving bit probably did open the can of worms. All the same, what's the difference between LiJun & Frank Shaving?

For what it's worth, LiJun is better than Frank in my experience. They source at least some of their Finest knots from a good factory. I seriously do not see how LiJun is in any way lesser in quality than Frank Shaving.

I think all Teiste is saying regarding the value is that you can purchase a LiJun for half the price on ebay. Which is true, but you can also look at it as getting the brush 5x sooner for an upjump in price.

9 2,988
 12-02-2012, 12:36 AM
User Info
Teiste, I respectfully disagree with you, as I feel things will be perceived differently.

I see where you are coming from and accept any response to any thread I might start. That is the beauty of an open forum, we all have opinions and thoughts about things.

Us going back and forth trying to explain things won't get us anywhere. You know how I feel, I know how you feel.

@Johnny, thanks for the support I appreciate it. I realize I can edit the post, but it's a bit too late for that now. These are great brushes for a really low price. I don't usually buy cheap brushes, but these little guys are phenominal.

63 2,128
 12-02-2012, 12:48 AM
User Info
For what it's worth, I never mentioned anything about a glue bump.

63 2,128
 12-02-2012, 12:52 AM
User Info
Teiste, perhaps you should start a new thread to discuss your bad feelings about a brush that you think looks similar to the one reviewed here, rather than spend a lot of time and space venting your feelings about that here. Lee first says you should not assume it is a Frank's brush, then reverses his opinion about assumptions when you assume it is from somewhere else. All the while, Lee is a vendor participating in a review thread about another vendor's brush... Do I have a problem with that? Well, I suppose my opinion does not matter, but it creates an environment where some people may be skeptical of your criticism on this thread that is supposedly not even towards this brush.

Now we are off topic, but I must say that there is a growing sentiment among members that particular brands are EXTREMELY well reviewed and others often minimized and trashed. I'm not alone in this view but will likely be alone in expressing it, as I suspect that I will be minimized and trashed for voicing this concern.

52 476
 12-02-2012, 01:02 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-02-2012, 12:52 AM)squatzilla801 Wrote: Teiste, perhaps you should start a new thread to discuss your bad feelings about a brush that you think looks similar to the one reviewed here, rather than spend a lot of time and space venting your feelings about that here. Lee first says you should not assume it is a Frank's brush, then reverses his opinion about assumptions when you assume it is from somewhere else. All the while, Lee is a vendor participating in a review thread about another vendor's brush... Do I have a problem with that? Well, I suppose my opinion does not matter, but it creates an environment where some people may be skeptical of your criticism on this thread that is supposedly not even towards this brush.

Now we are off topic, but I must say that there is a growing sentiment among members that particular brands are EXTREMELY well reviewed and others often minimized and trashed. I'm not alone in this view but will likely be alone in expressing it, as I suspect that I will be minimized and trashed for voicing this concern.

Who is going to trash you or minimize you ,for expressing your thoughts here , Amir ? Huh

And what particular brands are well received and which ones are minimized or "trashed" ? Huh

I think we all have our likes and dislikes , and we all have expressed it with not trashing or minimizing others opinions.

And regarding this brush , as I said , I haven't tried it : I just said that looks like a Li Jun brush , since cessnabird was saying that there was some speculation regarding the brush being made by Frank Shaving.

People will take cessnabird review of the brush , and that's what matters after all.The rest , is just "speculation" , which , I'm afraid , the wet shaving forums are full of , since we don't get , most of the time , accurate info about the products that we buy.

86 7,124
 12-02-2012, 01:19 AM
User Info
But Teiste, you have posted a lot of irrelevant (negative) information in this thread after first implying it was the same brush. After Jeremy raised his concern, you doubled down and posted a huge picture of another brush... I feel you could have mentioned a similarity in appearance and simply moved on rather than essentially inject a review of another brush. It looks somewhat odd to make really strong statements about something and then say no one will listen to you and that you haven't even tried the brush Jeremy created this thread about.

I haven't tried either of the brushes, but I reacted to the thread just as Jeremy predicted: you created/implied an association between the brushes and at the same time tried to back off from it. That looks disingenuous.

I'd like to see your response about vendors as well. Perhaps we should all include our potential conflicts of interest in our signatures. For example, mine would say, "I'm somewhat of a friend of Lee Sabini". Another example: An unnamed vendor here could say, "I OWN A RIVAL SHAVING BRUSH COMPANY". I think it's critical to be objective and fair and in this case I don't think that happened.

52 476
 12-02-2012, 01:21 AM
User Info
The one and only LiJun I bought was actually quite good. Teiste, I believe you also said it was pretty decent. Maybe you didn't recognize it as a LiJun as the logo was removed.

I have no comment on the glue bump other than to say they're a fact of life and I've had to deal with really large glue bumps too.

That said, I think the topic of LiJun quality should be discussed elsewhere if anyone wants to continue it.

9 2,988