12-01-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
I've started this thread to garner a bit of insight into whether others here who maintain facial hair have certain preferences as to their tools and techniques .

I myself maintain anything from full beard to circle beard(some say goatee)depending upon the season. For quite some time I have used Bic metal disposables. They were quite good actually. Thin head, sharp, simple metal safety bar . A couple of months ago I purchased an EJ DE89L and sampler pack of blades. I can honestly say that it has been pleasant. The razor and several brands of blades are much nicer than my beginnings in de shaving but the de89 has forced me to relearn my edging technique along the beard lines. I also have mostly been using a semogue 620 boar brush which is wonderful in every respect but it does produce a bit more lather than needed in winter when I am completely bearded and isn't exactly a precision instrument in application of the lather.

Any thoughts?

6 1,224
 12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
  • GWO
  • rural WA
User Info
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

I've had a mustache for over 40 years and goatee for 19. I use the brush/lather to "paint/push" what hair I want to keep away from the areas I plan to shave. Single strokes along the hair lines works to keep things shaped up. I use a DE Parker razor. Boar brush.

0 27
 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM
User Info
I keep a doughnut - aka goatee - and have for the last, oh, 12 years... I just lather up, use a finger on my free hand to lift the beard out of the way and shower after I shave. I also find that an Open Comb razor - like my Merkur 25C or my Cadet TP-01 - is the best for edge trimming.

YMMV off course Biggrin

3 3,561
 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
User Info
Thank you gentlemen !

I think we share some basic technique. I tried an open comb Fattip today and did indeed find it offers a little more feedback while edging along the beard . Also used a new badger brush with more of a bulb shape which helped me out a bit too but I have to admit I haven't tried it on MWF soap yet . Although the Barbon cream today worked splendidly and may be more convenient for travel . I lather on the neck which has always seemed easiest to me since growing a beard.

I have to admit the cream was better than the old shave powder lathered in a bowl I started with many years ago Smile[/quote]

6 1,224
 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I don't have any facial hair to work around but I did recently get a small brush which I'm very happy with, an Omega 11047, mixed badger/boar. The only thing I'm not completely happy with is the size of the handle, I'm feeling it's a little too small and might feel better in my hand if it were a little larger but it doesn't keep me from wanting to use it. Sounds to me like the Simpson Wee Scot might be what you need for Winter. I'm sure there are other small brushes available. Also, have you tried face lathering?

0 62
 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
User Info
Right.....

Goatee here....and to edge around it accurately an open comb works well because it provides a keen sense of the blade's edge.There are some fantastic razors I don't use because they are sub optimal at this.My favorite DE razor is the Gillette OLD / Single Ring....

However I prefer single edge razors and my favorite is the Ever-Ready Streamline.

The Streamline performs brilliantly when edging/trimming and offers an outstanding efficient shave across the rest of my face.

Brush & lather ? With abundant lather I shave fairly close to my goatee and save fine edging for the end of the shave after all lather's rinsed away.No irritation with good technique and it's a clear shot without lather obscuring the line.

7 414
 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 06:36 PM)gzp Wrote: Also, have you tried face lathering?
I usually lather on my neck or in the palm of my hand until spring when I reduce down to thin jaw strap or goatee then lather on the face. I will certainly take a strong look at that little Omega ! looks promising ! Thank you !

(12-02-2012, 06:46 PM)razorx Wrote: Right.....

The Streamline performs brilliantly when edging/trimming and offers an outstanding efficient shave across the rest of my face.

To be honest the se route had not occurred to me. I need to look at this more carefully! I started out , Shoot over thirty years ago, with a Gillette that had an open comb and butterfly top. I don't remember if it had a name on it? But either todays razors are better or my sun and weather worn skin is just tougher. Thanks for the SE tip !

6 1,224
 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
I've had a mustache just past the edges of my mouth for long time (think Tom Selleck but less handsome), and so long as I make sure I'm fully awake and focusing when shaving, the mustache remains even on both sides.

183 12,002
 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 08:00 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I've had a mustache just past the edges of my mouth for long time (think Tom Selleck but less handsome), and so long as I make sure I'm fully awake and focusing when shaving, the mustache remains even on both sides.

This is one of the reasons I started the thread. With the old disposable it would simply come to a screeching halt when it hit hair of any length. NOT SO with the DE Smile Suddenly my stache area was a mm or so narrower Biggrin

6 1,224
 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
(12-03-2012, 04:21 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: NOT SO with the DE Smile Suddenly my stache area was a mm or so narrower Biggrin

And then you have to even up the other side, then you have to go back and even the first side, then back to re-even the second side again....

183 12,002
 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 07:25 PM)Nickadermis Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 06:36 PM)gzp Wrote: Also, have you tried face lathering?
I usually lather on my neck or in the palm of my hand until spring when I reduce down to thin jaw strap or goatee then lather on the face. I will certainly take a strong look at that little Omega ! looks promising ! Thank you !

(12-02-2012, 06:46 PM)razorx Wrote: Right.....

To be honest the se route had not occurred to me. I need to look at this more carefully! I started out , Shoot over thirty years ago, with a Gillette that had an open comb and butterfly top. I don't remember if it had a name on it? But either todays razors are better or my sun and weather worn skin is just tougher. Thanks for the SE tip !

No problem,the rigidity of single edge blades is a big plus,but please keep in mind that similar to DE razors,to keep a straight line you still need to select a razor that gives a good sense of exactly where the blade's edge is.An easy to find & reasonably priced SE that excels at this is the GEM Micromatic Open Comb.

7 414
 12-08-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 11:27 AM)razorx Wrote: No problem,the rigidity of single edge blades is a big plus,but please keep in mind that similar to DE razors,to keep a straight line you still need to select a razor that gives a good sense of exactly where the blade's edge is.An easy to find & reasonably priced SE that excels at this is the GEM Micromatic Open Comb.

Well a new Gem open comb Micromatic is on it's way. It is odd that I have never thought of this, since I have on many occasions sharpened my own SE blades for my compound balsa chopper (think radial arm saw for building old tissue covered model airplanes)

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it works out Smile

6 1,224
 12-08-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
(12-08-2012, 07:33 PM)Nickadermis Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 11:27 AM)razorx Wrote: No problem,the rigidity of single edge blades is a big plus,but please keep in mind that similar to DE razors,to keep a straight line you still need to select a razor that gives a good sense of exactly where the blade's edge is.An easy to find & reasonably priced SE that excels at this is the GEM Micromatic Open Comb.

Well a new Gem open comb Micromatic is on it's way. It is odd that I have never thought of this, since I have on many occasions sharpened my own SE blades for my compound balsa chopper (think radial arm saw for building old tissue covered model airplanes)

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it works out Smile

Sounds good Eric,only other thing I can say is use some quality blades designed for shaving although I assume you know that.I haven't built one of those tissue covered balsa wood model planes in a long time.I remember something about Cox 0.49 engines,using pins to hold the glued wood together and control lines.

You may find this helpful for the MMOC:
http://shavenook.com/thread-mr-guys-shaving-videos

Good luck,looking forward to seeing how it goes for you...

7 414
 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I've had a full beard for the last 40 years. At first, I stopped shaving altogether. After about 5 years of that, I started shaving my neck and shaping at the cheeks.

I use a brush, shaving soap (no cream), and a DE razor to do my neck. My skin is really sensitive and I found that it doesn't tolerate face-lathering with any brush, so I lather in a bowl. I long ago determined that my neck didn't tolerate a daily scraping, so I shave 3 times a week.

I do the main shave at night. The next morning after my shower, I rub some water on my cheeks and shape that part with a BIC Metal.

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-08-2012, 09:51 PM
User Info
It's been awhile since I sported facial hair, but I need to make some points.

Don't use hardware store (ie. balsa wood cutting SE blades) for shaving; they aren't sharp enough. The blades we use either come from the pharmacy or a specialized online supplier.

The second point is that while the Wee Scot is a fantastic small (micro is a better word) brush it might be too small for you. It really is quite specialized and is for the experienced shaver. Some better (IMO) smaller brushes might be the Simpson Specials in pure or best (especially), the Commodore X1, and there are others that escape me at the moment. But peruse the online suppliers for brush specs. Something near a 20mm knot and 40mm loft with a full size handle would serve you well and be significantly smaller than the 620 you're using now. On paper they may not seem smaller, but they are.

Omega also makes smaller boars, but I'll just mention them. Since I've never used their smaller brushes I can't suggest or reccommend any. I only know that they exist.

Pictured are the brushes I mentioned compared to the 620. The Wee Scot (in front) may not appear to have a significantly smaller knot than the other badgers, but I assure you it's significantly smaller, and the handle isn't something you'd want to use every day.
[Image: DSC03847.jpg]

32 6,309
 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I generally just reach around the handle and squeeze the brush knot in my fingers if I need the contact area to be smaller.

As for the amount of lather you're making - maybe a brushless cream like Kiss My Face would be a better way to go when you have the full beard?

10 1,858
 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I have had some kind of facial hair in one way or another style for 35 years. I've had sideburns, goatees, mustaches, full beards, landing strips, mutton chops. You name it, I've had it. I just like to change up. I;ve been so used to following lines It doesn't really matter to me what hardware I'm using... Can't explain why but I just know.... Right now I'm working on a handlebar mustache w/ the landing strip. That and a Hitler toothbrush stache are about the only style mustaches I haven't tried. I've got a ways to go before I can get a curl on the ends... But when I do...lol

5 1,151
 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
I, too, have been sporting a full beard for the last few years and use my DE to keep the cheeks clean and to shave my neck. Before that I had big ol' mutton chops and van dyke. Just this past weekend, I shaved my beard and brought the chops and the van dyke back. I agree with savagejoerude - I just follow the lines, it doesn't seem to make a difference what razor or brush I'm using. Sometimes I may take a tiny bit more off than I mean to, but it's usually not a problem. Now the few times I tried to use an electric shaver, that was a nightmare. I had no clue how to accurately edge with that thing...

2 234
 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
Well I had my inaugural shave with the Gem OCMM today and I must say that I am impressed. It will definitely be in the rotation. And it is easy to tell where the blade is at on my face since so much of it is exposed. I am excited to see how long the blades last. Some of the DE blades I have used are not particularly long lived. I was thinking that since I only shave about 60 percent of the area that I would shave without a beard that they would last longer.

Thank you ShadowsDad ! for the help on choosing a brush. I am looking into some smaller knots to see if anything suits me. I have my eye on a particular Frank Shaving travel sized silvertip that falls more in line with what you describe.

6 1,224