12-01-2012, 09:59 PM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
Hey everybody, let's talk about dancing!

I don't know if there are many dancers on here, but if there are it could be a nice discussion. Let's talk about styles, where we dance, what we want to learn, and things that drive us crazy.

I'll start it off by saying that I've been dancing very sporadically for probably about 8 years. I know minimal amounts of Waltz, Salsa, West Coast Swing, and Foxtrot; I know slightly more Cha Cha, and I'm learning East Coast Swing, Charleston, and a bit of Classic Jazz right now. What I really want to learn is Lindy Hop which should start happening soon-ish.

0 26
 12-01-2012, 10:02 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
I have the dancing skills of a 2x4.

0 126
 12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yes, please talk about dancing, I want to hear. I've always admired people who can dance.

88 4,233
 12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
User Info
I would love to learn to dance (and play a musical instrument) but as my music teachers told me back in 5th grade; I have the rhythm of a traffic accident... Love to see others dance and enjoy themselves though Shy

3 3,548
 12-01-2012, 10:06 PM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
(12-01-2012, 10:02 PM)leo Wrote: I have the dancing skills of a 2x4.

I kind of wish we could like posts on here because I find this weirdly hilarious.

And hey, it's never too late to learn!

0 26
 12-01-2012, 10:07 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have zero skills when it comes to dancing.

2 11,211
 12-01-2012, 10:16 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I remember you saying in your intro that you enjoyed swing dancing. I like the music, the era, the clothes, and watching the dancing. can't do it myself anymore, walk with crutches or 2 canes. played drums as a younger man, my musical idols are from the swing era. glad you enjoy
dancing and are keeping out of trouble....or ARE you....? (LOL) Smile

0 1,291
 12-01-2012, 10:26 PM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
(12-01-2012, 10:16 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: I remember you saying in your intro that you enjoyed swing dancing. I like the music, the era, the clothes, and watching the dancing. can't do it myself anymore, walk with crutches or 2 canes. played drums as a younger man, my musical idols are from the swing era. glad you enjoy

I adore the music, the clothing, and the dancing. I wish I'd gotten into it sooner. My older brother was a percussionist before Physics took over his life, but he was doing more concert band type stuff.

I mostly keep out of trouble, although I did accidentally hit a guy in the face on the dance floor a few weeks ago.

Do you have any thoughts on Electro-Swing music? I personally kind of like it, but I have mixed feelings on it as far as actually dancing to it goes.

Since we don't seem to have many dancers I guess I'll post a video of something I'm working on learning right now.

This is a classic jazz routine called the Tranky Doo.

0 26
 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
great vid ! dat's da stuff ! never heard of electro-swing. electricity wasn't invented yet in my younger days. my drums were made from hollow logs. Tranky Doo is quite a handle. where'd that one come from ? is your dance group part of your school or your community ? geez, faelan, if you like the guy just tell him.
no need for fisticuffs ! Smile

0 1,291
 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM
  • Faelan
  • NW Washingon
User Info
(12-01-2012, 10:43 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: great vid ! dat's da stuff ! never heard of electro-swing. electricity wasn't invented yet in my younger days. my drums were made from hollow logs. Tranky Doo is quite a handle. where'd that one come from ? is your dance group part of your school or your community ? geez, faelan, if you like the guy just tell him.
no need for fisticuffs ! Smile

I'm not sure where the name Tranky Doo came from, but all the slang back in the day was pretty crazy. The only scene where I live right now is the college swing club or you could go 1.5-2 hours south or an hour north to get to a bigger town with an actual scene.

This would be an example of Electro Swing.

0 26
 12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
1 1/2- 2 hours is a schlep, but not too bad for something you enjoy so much. that's pretty advanced dancing. great that your school has a club.
maybe it's inevitable that the music would evolve somewhat.
I get your point about dancing to it. but the overall sound is the same, as is the dancing.
thanks for the enjoyable vids. do share more about this. even if there aren't many dancers here, it's nice to discuss our interests.
almost 2:30 here, off to my recliner. have a pleasant evening.

0 1,291
 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Back in my younger days I use to swing, ballroom, and square dance. But that was over 40 years ago. Now I just tap my foot to the beat of the music.

173 23,481
 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
(12-01-2012, 11:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: Back in my younger days I use to swing, ballroom, and square dance. But that was over 40 years ago. Now I just tap my foot to the beat of the music.

I just rock my chair a little faster Smile

0 1,291
 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Faelan, funny you should mention Electro Swing. When I was in an Urban Outfitters location in Edinburgh, Scotland they were playing a CD and I was told it was Electro Swing but that they were out of the album. When I got home, I ordered it on line. This is the album: http://www.israbox.com/1146314825-va-ele...-2009.html. (I bought the CD, not an MP3 download as shown on this site.) I have listened to it countless times and cannot tell you how glad I am that there is no one to see me as I find myself bopping down the hall of my apartment to this music. Rolleyes Laughing1

2 11,211
 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
I started out square dancing many years ago, then international folk dancing and contra dancing.

For the last 21 years, I've been a swing dancer. East Coast swing and especially Lindy Hop, with the occasional aerial thrown in, when no official is watching the floor.

I had lessons from Frankie Manning of Whitey's Lindy Hoppers, who was a star dancer in the movie Hellzapoppin and one of the originators of the lindy. He died 2 years ago at age 93 still dancing and teaching around the world. His dance partner from the 1920's is still dancing and teaching. I love the music, the clothes and the people. Nothing like live bands and a real sprung wood dance floor and a great partner.

As to the electro swing, I've never heard that name before. From the music video, all you could do to that music would be Balboa and Charleston, both pre-swing. It is equivalent to what is called Hot Jazz.

Lindy hop is the king of dances.

(12-01-2012, 10:26 PM)Faelan Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 10:16 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: I remember you saying in your intro that you enjoyed swing dancing. I like the music, the era, the clothes, and watching the dancing. can't do it myself anymore, walk with crutches or 2 canes. played drums as a younger man, my musical idols are from the swing era. glad you enjoy

I adore the music, the clothing, and the dancing. I wish I'd gotten into it sooner. My older brother was a percussionist before Physics took over his life, but he was doing more concert band type stuff.

I mostly keep out of trouble, although I did accidentally hit a guy in the face on the dance floor a few weeks ago.

Do you have any thoughts on Electro-Swing music? I personally kind of like it, but I have mixed feelings on it as far as actually dancing to it goes.

Since we don't seem to have many dancers I guess I'll post a video of something I'm working on learning right now.

This is a classic jazz routine called the Tranky Doo.

The Tranky Doo appears to be Charleston dance moves put together. The music is Charleston style is as well.

21 1,471
 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
User Info
My partner used to be a professional modern dancer, but has not performed in many years.
i think i can still dance a typical Portuguese paired dance. i used to enjoy it very much. It is loads of fun!

75 20,883
 12-02-2012, 05:39 PM
User Info
Many years ago, my misguided parents forced me to take ballroom dancing lessons each week. It turned out that our mentors there at the studio were Bobby Burgess and Barbara Boylan from the Lawrence Welk show (names recognized only by other oldsters here), and I rapidly developed an unrequited crush on Barbara, getting sweaty palms every time we were paired up. Of course I can remember absolutely nothing of the dancing steps themselves.

183 12,002
 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
Hee hee. Great story, John!!
i would love to have seen you dance.

75 20,883
 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
here's a few things I looked up about Tranky-Doo:
the dance was choreographed by Pepsi Bethel in the 1940's in the Savoy Ballroom. (or Frankie Manning-depending on the source.)
it was traditionally danced to Erskine Hawkins' "Tuxedo Junction" (or Ella Fitzgerald's "Dipsy Doodle")
This is just something I googled up. all I did was google: "what is Tranky-Doo ?".
There was lot on the search page. apparently very popular among swing dancers. ( a must for lindy hoppers ! )
This was where I started:
http://www.jumpjointswing.com/?Styles_of...%26nbsp%3B <== (more technical with instruction and other swing dancing styles)+(check out the gray-highlited box about terms describing swing dances)

http://atomicballroom.com/knowledge-base...ky-Doo.php

http://www.swingornothing.com/2012/05/

0 1,291
 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
User Info
Lindy, I saw Mr. Manning perform around 10 years ago in DC when he was receiving an award, the Humanities Fellowship or something like that. He performed with his son, who had to be at least 60. They blew me away.

As for me, with a little lubrication I manage to do something like dancing.

9 166