12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
User Info
So, I've been playing around with my new Mike's Naturals for a week now. The issue I always run into is that I don't have enough soap in my brush for the second pass.

Now, I thought it was maybe because I'm having trouble loading the small sample sizes and all the lather is going into my palm.

Today, I used the tin for the second time. Same issue. But then I reloaded the brush, decided I'd try to load it with a dip in water, and there we go, enough lather for three passes.

However, since there was already a bunch of lather already in the brush, this is clearly not a 100% answer.

To you Mike's Naturals experts: Am I not loading the brush enough? I'm spending the same amount of time as my other triple milled soaps.

Does it really need that extra water to load properly?

Insight is appreciated as always.

Btw, it makes great lather. Biggrin

9 2,987
 12-02-2012, 12:15 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I find it's not that thirsty to whip lather, but it is for loading for some reason. It doesn't want to load correctly for me unless the brush is at least fairly damp, it's like the physical clay like property of the soap doesn't want to break down and go into the brush. If I try to load with a drier brush (like most of my soaps) it gets tacky and bogs down the brush with friction and I end up having to load for 60-90 seconds to get sufficient soap...not to mention it's probably rough as hell on the hairs/bristles.

31 1,510
 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
Lee, it needs a bit more water, just like Mystic Water!
Once you get it down, it and Mystic Water are phenomenal soaps with great post-shave properties. You could add water little by little when loading; you want to see a bit of "cream" forming on the puck and then you have it. With our extremely soft water in Vancouver, i never have an issue loading ANY soap.
Good luck.

74 20,792
 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM
User Info
I find DR Harris to be thirstier than Mike's. I do agree that a slightly wetter brush to start loading is a good idea.

31 7,892
 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
User Info
Like the rest of the guys I tend to start with a little wetter brush, after about 40 seconds on the puck I take my brush to my face and I've got a great thick, slick lather from Mike's.

5 79
 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Lee, I had trouble with Mike's lather for a while. Same problem as you basically I would have to reload always and sometimes the lather would disappear. I have hard water and it seems it's common for those with hard water to have issues with Mike's. I now get great dense and lasting lather. I started using more water and also I drip water on the soap and let it soak on there while I shower. I put just enough to cover the surface of the soap. Changing those two things seems to have helped a lot.

45 3,955
 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM
User Info
Thanks for confirming it guys. I'll use an even wetter brush than normal with Mike's when loading.

To clarify, my only issue I couldn't figure out was the fact that I couldn't get two passes worth of lather. The lather itself has been fantastic. I've even figured out how to make it "explode" like some people have said. Although explode really wouldn't be the term I would use. Or maybe I need more practice with it.

9 2,987
 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
I know a lot of guys that think it's a pretty thirsty soap. I tend to agree, but it's not dramatic. I've also noticed it does not like heat too much.

51 476
 12-02-2012, 10:35 PM
User Info
I think I have a video somewhere that I didn't upload yet to the shave nook's youtube channel where I lather MNS.

like you, I had trouble with it at firs too.

edit, nvm, here's the video:

40 5,830
 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I love MNS and have no issue building heaps of lather with it.

If I ever encounter an issue with any soap I either:

Add more water...

Increase loading time...

or both!

Before long, no issue. Biggrin

91 17,615