12-02-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
I'm a fan, an uncompensated fan (except in 1 instance). I don't really care about football or baseball and we all know that Manchester United is the best soccer club around so that doesn't really count. Tongue

I do get compensated for one category that I'm a huge fan of, but it's not shaving kit. As a chiropractor I'm a fan of true health developing and growing from within. I receive payment for my services as a chiropractor. I believe that chiropractic is much better than other interventions for certain things. However, as a professional I still must be unbiased so that I can refer a patient out when there is something non-chiropractic going on. So while I may be extremely vocal and seem biased as a chiropractor when compared to medicine it's only to a certain extent. I believe the same is true in the reverse direction as well.

I'm also a huge fan of Apple products. I will never buy another PC or windows based product as long as I have a choice. I know there are many Apple fans out there and I'd be surprised if they all got accused of receiving kickback from Apple for their fanaticism & loyalty.

Now when it comes to shaving kit I am quite a fan and developed some loyalty to a few different items which boils down to an underlying principle of supreme quality at reasonable prices (I have a close connection to this business philosophy as I offer my services this was too). They are SE razors, Krampert's Finest AS, RazoRock products, & Wet Shaving Products.

Obviously SE razors isn't for a business principle. They are more like Manchester United. Everyone just knows they are made better and perform better! Tongue

Krampert's Finest is THE Manchester United of AS.

RazoRock is a well loved brand by many of us here. Joe has been very honest with his business model of trying to bring the highest quality products for reasonable prices; i.e. AdP/XXX; TFS/LaFamiglia.

Wet Shaving Products is also out to offer us traditional shavers the best quality brushes possible at very reasonable prices. Now is where we start getting to the real point of this post. I'm a fan and have posted a few reviews with more coming of the current WSP range of brushes. Some here apparently feel some sort of foul-play going on with this brand and since I've been a vocal supporter of WSP I am feeling a bit attacked here as well. I have purchased all of my WSP brushes from Lee (asharperrazor) with my own money. I have been allowed to borrow a couple brushes (the Prince 3 & 2-band) so that I may satisfy some curiosities that I kept bugging Lee about through PMs. I think he got tired of my questions and just allowed me to borrow his personal brushes for a short time. He did not request that I do any reviews or posts in return for this.

German has also brought out a concern of his that this brand isn't reviewed as much on other sites where asharperrazor isn't a member.

(12-02-2012, 12:05 PM)German Wrote: I have seen a lot "talking up" of WSP brushes here who have not really ignited much conversation on other forums. This is interesting in this case because the vendor is a very active member here and VB brushes are undercutting WSP in price and everybody wonders what their quality might be

I honestly have no answer about that since the Shave Nook is about the only shaving forum that I frequent. However, you can also find my reviews cross posted to The Original Safety Too and reddit.

German also says...
(12-02-2012, 12:05 PM)German Wrote: Forums like this often have some sort of bias in some statements made be it because of "YMMV" or because some members have some affiliation to specific vendors/manufacturers (especially if these are small business operations). These affiliations are not always in a professional sense (e.g. special conditions for products or even products for free). Some of these affiliations can just be friendly ties etc.

To this I ask you to see above and just further say that I've received nothing for free. I guess the worst that can be said is that I have a friendly tie with Wet Shaving Products because I personally find the product to be of great quality and I share a business philosophy with the owner on how we offer our products/services.

So to summarize, I'm a fan of
  • Chiropractic (compensated for)
  • Apple (uncompensated)
  • SE razors and blades (uncompensated)
  • Krampert's Finest AS (uncompensated)
  • RazoRock (uncompensated)
  • Wet Shaving Products (uncompensated)

I'm not a fan of
  • Over medication and early surgery
  • PCs
  • DE razors and blades
  • HIS synthetic brush
  • Overpriced products strictly paying for a brand name

I hope that satisfies those in need of satisfaction and makes my position transparent.

31 7,912
 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Whoa! And I was about to give up reading when I saw Manchester United Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Very well worded, Brian. You and I share some very similar ideals and I agree with much of what you say, though you may have missed a certain aftershave we are both fans of. I'll leave it at that.

35 1,732
 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM
User Info
Hey Brian, I for one appreciate your post here as well as your position on it.

I personally think that too many have gotten gunshy on this issue due to the rules and practices, enforcement and alledged hypocrisy of a certain other shave forum. You have to cover your butt with a disclaimer for practically every opinion you give, or else.

This whole thing baffles me... why people can't take an opinion for what it is and not try to find fault or wrongdoing, or even discredit it only because of how the one giving it came to have that opinion.

In my own opinion, I dont care one bit if someone got hooked up on an item and then gives a favorable review of it. I would care about that review equally if they werent hooked up. So long as that review does not make a grandious claim that is unlikely or flat out wrong. Like, "This cream will cure skin cancer". Thats obviously bad. But if someone says, "I feel this is the best brush on the market" then fine, they can say that.

Its called form your own opinions, make your own choices based on ALL the info you can find. And if after all it turns out you dont like the product, that is your issue. Not the issue of anyone who reviewed it for any reason. People need to stop looking for a scapegoat or someone else to blame for the choices they make.

Keep on keepin on Brian!

4 253
 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Was there ever a question that you didn't pay for your WSP Brushes? Not sure why this thread is even necessary

116 3,804
 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 04:00 PM)beartrap Wrote: Whoa! And I was about to give up reading when I saw Manchester United Biggrin

You Europeans are sooo provincial. Cool

0 554
 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 05:08 PM)Dave Wrote: Was there ever a question that you didn't pay for your WSP Brushes? Not sure why this thread is even necessary

Dave, you're active enough here & a mod. I'm sure you've seen the writing on the wall. Being as how my recent reviews are apparently playing into this, then yes I thought the thread was necessary; maybe not for you but certainly for others.

You may just be upset at finally realizing that Manchester United is the best! Tongue

(12-02-2012, 04:38 PM)Tonality Wrote: Very well worded, Brian. You and I share some very similar ideals and I agree with much of what you say, though you may have missed a certain aftershave we are both fans of. I'll leave it at that.

Anthony, you are correct. I need to fix that!

Edit: OP fixed

31 7,912
 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
Great thread, Brian.
Manchester United! Sheesh! Oh well.

75 20,883
 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
Brian, your post made me smile. Long story, but I've never tried SE or straights partly because I haven't felt the need.

I go back and forth with Apple, but in my home we bat on both sides of the plate. Sometimes, I find myself frustrated because I can't do things or customize something like I can on a comparable non-Apple product but part of that is probably because I am not as familiar with Apple products. As long as my line of work almost mandates Windows (there are choices but I am not in a position to make those choices now), I will probably always favor a PC. Windows 7 did keep me in the PC camp when choosing my personal laptop.

47 1,270
 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Brian,
I appreciate your post for its honesty and relevance.
The purpose of forums such as TSN is to allow the exchange of reasonable thoughts, ideas, and experiences between people who share a common interest.
It is somewhat foolish for one to assume that a member must be receiving a kickback or compensation of some sort just because they express their enthusiasm and endorsement of a product. This happens all the time on forums ... with many different products ... I have done this with various products myself and can honestly say that I have no 'special relationship' with the vendors/manufacturers of said products. Regardless, I decide on purchasing a product after careful research and analysis of multiple sources of information ... and don't necessarily decide based on one person's opinions.
For example, I purchased a WSP Monarch brush this weekend, after reading all the different reviews, and speaking with fellow members who I trust. I wouldn't have felt comfortable making this purchase based on one review, regardless of how positive it was or who made it, because an individual opinion will always be 'biased'. Ultimately, the positive reputation and success of a product is based upon the collective and cumulative experiences of not one, but many people.

102 17,661
 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 07:46 PM)Agravic Wrote: Brian,
I appreciate your post for its honesty and relevance.
The purpose of forums such as TSN is to allow the exchange of reasonable thoughts, ideas, and experiences between people who share a common interest.
It is somewhat foolish for one to assume that a member must be receiving a kickback or compensation of some sort just because they express their enthusiasm and endorsement of a product. This happens all the time on forums ... with many different products ... I have done this with various products myself and can honestly say that I have no 'special relationship' with the vendors/manufacturers of said products. Regardless, I decide on purchasing a product after careful research and analysis of multiple sources of information ... and don't necessarily decide based on one person's opinions.
For example, I purchased a WSP Monarch brush this weekend, after reading all the different reviews, and speaking with fellow members who I trust. I wouldn't have felt comfortable making this purchase based on one review, regardless of how positive it was or who made it, because an individual opinion will always be 'biased'. Ultimately, the positive reputation and success of a product is based upon the collective and cumulative experiences of not one, but many people.

+1 Beautifully worded, Ravi!

75 20,883
 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
User Info
WOW! Thanks Brian!

32 6,308
 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM
User Info
OK, clear.

As long as folks do not post in favor or, or opposed to products they've never tried. This was the other side of the coin in the thread you refer to and others.

0 140
 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
(12-03-2012, 08:00 AM)Egmont Wrote: OK, clear.

As long as folks do not post in favor or, or opposed to products they've never tried. This was the other side of the coin in the thread you refer to and others.

Yes Egmont, that is a very valid point. It's hard to know what we're talking about without having used the product in question.

31 7,912
 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Only thing I can agree with you on is Apple Products as that is all I use. I did spend several years with a PC, but never again.

The rest of the products or services I have never used so have no opinion.

173 23,483
 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
User Info
(12-03-2012, 09:07 AM)Johnny Wrote: Only thing I can agree with you on is Apple Products as that is all I use. I did spend several years with a PC, but never again.

The rest of the products or services I have never used so have no opinion.

Come on Johnny! You're missing the biggest one there for yourself... Injectors are SEs and I rarely (maybe never) see DEs in your SOTDs. Biggrin

31 7,912