12-02-2012, 10:32 PM
User Info
Those who know me know that I've gone through the various ADs. I've tested blades, soaps, razors, and bought brushes. Maybe not as deeply into AD as some folks, but I have been there, mostly to educate myself about what's available, and for me, so I tell myself.

I've found that most everything (that I've tried) in the SOTD posts work great for me. Most of the folks posting about soaps and such and giving positive reviews on products, they also work fine for me. And in the last 2 years I've accumulated plenty of "stuff". Much more than I really need, but I do like possessing a shaving harem and having the experience of a different shave every day. I've also found that I have a huge tolerance for what works for me, but maybe I'm not unusual in that. Yes, I have preferences, and I've tempered my ADs with the knowledge of what doesn't interest me, as we all do. (ex: huge brushes don't interest me one bit)

I've posted before about the Golden Age of shaving that we presently enjoy. I think part of AD is precisely because of the easy access to great hardware and software. But I'm not griping about ADs or easy access. Please don't think that. I love having ADs and trying new "stuff".

How much more do I need? How much better can a shave get when I feel they are simply the best possible right now?

OK, so where am I going with this?

I am content. I read the online reviews and such, not with disinterest, just not with desire to acquire. I am content. I have what I feel is really good, maybe the best software and hardware, and I just want to sit back and enjoy. No more rat race to get more "stuff" to chase down an improbable better shave.

I'm actually in soap RIP mode right now. Using a few soaps to RIP status in order to get room in the cabinet, because I refuse to buy more soaps before I have space to house the new ones. So it's not that my mind is closed to new soaps and such, I just don't need more at this time.

Does anyone else feel this way? Content, laid back, and basking in the warmth of great shaves w/o seeking more?

I do have some things to attend to eventually. But I'm in no hurry. Razors to get replated, a Rolls Razor to play with, another brush (or 2) to make when I get the handle(s). No big deal, it'll happen eventually or it won't make a difference.

I think part of this mindset of mine came about because I finished testing blades for 1 1/2 years and I was looking forward to retiring the blade test mode I was in. That's also what prompts my question, Is anyone else content? Or is it just me?

BTW, I'm not discussing KF above. Working on new stuff there.

32 6,309
 12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
User Info
I am with straight razors. Other than some customs I want done just to have for the sake of having, they all shave the same for me after so long.

Soaps... *sigh* I really wish I was. I have so much.

Brushes, no. That's not going to happen. Biggrin

Content with my strops. Only replace them when I nick them or want something cheaper to "risk".

Content with my hones too. I've tried them all. Found what works best. Don't even use the other stones.

9 2,988
 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm getting there.

173 23,540
 12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
You just found the "shaving Nirvana".Hopefully , Ill be getting there one of these days , but Im truly enjoying the journey.

86 7,123
 12-03-2012, 12:37 AM
User Info
I would say I'm about 80-90% content...

I'm not actively hunting for stuff, but sometimes a razor or a brush pops up that gets my interest - latest was the German Bakelite Slant, next might be a brush... a Vie Long horse hair I think :p

3 3,578
 12-03-2012, 02:56 AM
User Info
I don't know about content just yet, especially so early on into my journey, with only trying a few blades, razors, creams and soaps, but I am extremely content with the shave I just got.

Easily my best shave to date. I decided to try open-comb. It is a long-handled, Merkur 23C with an Astra. I think for my first OC it was amazing. I kept hearing 'aggressive' thrown around about OCs in general but don't see how that word even fits. I have had to do roughly 5 passes to get a shave this smooth (also with an Astra, only different was a Merkur 23C, short handle). I did it in 3 expecting to have a lot left over. Wow, I was completely wrong. Maybe it's thanks to the Trumpers, the amazing boar Brian (ShadowsDad) sent but I'm blown away.

The shave is so smooth, I would almost call it BBS. And it's my first, as well. And to top it off...some KFBR!

If that wasn't an excellent shave then I don't know what is.

2 127
 12-03-2012, 03:09 AM
User Info
I'll be content soon.

I started out classical shaving a few months ago.

Started with a pure badger Crabtree & Evelyn. Picked up a Chubby 3 Manchuria and a Wee Scott. I won't count the Wee Scott because I only picked it up for fun. I've used it and it works but why 'settle' when you can use a Manchurian chubby 3?

I said almost content because I'll pick up one or two more brushes. A finest M&F or Finest Rooney (if I can find a new one) and a 2 band Simpsons. Then I'll be set brush-wise.

I have a Carlton TF&H razor and an r41 on the way. I think they will suffice too. Content again.

Finally regarding soaps. I don't see acquiring many as an AD. You actually only need ONE razor and ONE brush but with soaps it's different. You can have many. I know my logic is flawed but some will understand my point. The cost of a soap is nowhere near the cost of a high end brush and hence acquiring many is minor comparatively. So I'll keep buying soaps and creams till I have 50 without giving it thought. I'll eventually use them up or PIF them.

My Perfume AD?
No still going strong. I have 175 large size full bottles and I see it forging forward.

0 193
 12-03-2012, 03:17 AM
User Info
[thread jack]
Matt, the Merkurs Open Combs are - as far as I'm concerned - rather on the mild side; no more aggressive than a slant (and less than some slants). For a more aggressive OC you might want to look at the Cadet OCs - if an aggressive OC is what you want.

As an aside, I found while doing a bit of research on the various Merkurs that their OC-head is supposed to be adjustable... just loosen it for a more aggressive shave, apparently! Not something you'll catch me doing - as a REMF I worry far too much over my delicate visage to try it Tongue
[/thread jack]

To me it sounds like you're content... at least content with not using cartridges and electrics no more. And in that regard I think you - and I, and everyone else here - are much more content than most guys.

3 3,578
 12-03-2012, 03:50 AM
User Info
I've been pretty much content for a little over a year now, having settled on Palmolive sticks EJ Best Badger and my straight rotation. I'm still active in accumulating after shaves but, have'nt bought any in quite awhile so I can use up some that are more than half empty.

0 372
 12-03-2012, 04:49 AM
User Info
Not quite yet. I have a few more soaps/creams that I want to get, and 2-3 brushes I would like to add. A couple more after shaves, and 2-3 razors....I can feel myself getting there though. Oh, even though I face lather 95% of the time right now, I still want a scuttle.

31 1,800
 12-03-2012, 05:06 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I am not. I just like the variety of trying new things. It;s part of the hobby for me.

45 3,955
 12-03-2012, 05:06 AM
User Info
Yes, Brian, the "hunt" was great adventure when it was in full swing. Nowadays, I'm content. I don't want to be dogmatic or bullheaded about it though. If there's something that's gone undetected by my highly fallible radar, I want to make myself aware of it. Example: almost any new, previously unavailable product. Or, if there's something I stupidly ignored for whatever reason or other, and it finally gets my attention, I want to make sure my mind is still open for business. The best example of this is the Straight Razor Designs soap. I admit I have ignorantly, and to my detriment, believed a few posts where someone negatively reviewed glycerin soaps, and condemned all glycerin soaps. That's a review I'm sitting on until the (suggested, not mandatedSmile) TSN review template comes online, then I'll post it.

24 1,151
 12-03-2012, 05:16 AM
User Info
I have been content for a while. I only buy software now and that is to replace what I have used. I am going to sell off the extra hardware. The only thing I would go on a buying spree for is Mandom. I used up my last bottle in the spring and RoyalShave quit carrying it. Sad Who doesn't want to smell like Charles Bronson in the morning.

2 697
 12-03-2012, 05:55 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Personally I enjoy the variety of products available. I like trying new products such as blades and soaps.

Yes I do have some favorites in both soaps and blades. I would say that I'm content with trying products. Will that wane I doubt it.
That is why I enjoy wet shaving so much.

1 3,507
 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM
User Info
Pretty much content.

Don't know about the rest of you, but after a few years of this I can get equally good shaves out of the hardware/software I least like than I can out of the best. I think the actual shaves only get so good...after that we're mostly seeing subjective differences

Even differences in how skin feels after the shave can be equalized by a decent balm.

0 140
 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM
User Info
(12-02-2012, 10:32 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: ...Does anyone else feel this way? Content, laid back, and basking in the warmth of great shaves w/o seeking more?...

I am never content and always looking to improve. Too old to change.

I am also happy overall with the shaves I get and could have excellent shaves for the rest of my life by restricting the stuff I use to very few I know work best for me.

What I am not happy with and working my way to solve is the replacement of all my zinc alloy razors with either brass or preferably stainless steel and finding a couple of excellent aftershave splashes and balms.

I would dare predict that good quality stainless steel razors will eventually be developed by smaller manufacturers and released in two to three years. At the present, my quest finding nice brass or stainless razors has been anything but enjoyable, and lost a bit. Oh well, life happened.

I also need a good splash for the summer and balm for the winter.

So, I am busy and will stay busy for at least four maybe five years.

Excellent thread Brian.

7 358
 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
With all the soaps/creams, razors, brushes... etc., I'm actually down to pretty much using a few things that I like best. A couple of different razors, soaps... is pretty much it.

So yep, I'm pretty much content. Now all I need is to try that 'Goliath' razor handle. Biggrin

2 546
 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
User Info
Once I have an all-stainless slant in my hands (or possibly two), I will be content for a period of five and a half months. Certainly I have all I need and more; my hands just get itchy to try new things.

9 166
 12-03-2012, 09:10 AM
User Info
I have had pretty good luck with almost everything I have tried in the software, brushes and blades depts. The razors took a touch longer, but since that got sorted out I would say I am content.

I will ALWAYS look at the next new must-have items, but it is easy to pass on it on most things now. I may pick up a lmtd run brush, but I will use it instead of just collecting.

I am working down the soaps and creams to my core group; roughly 6 soaps and 3 creams that I really enjoy using (reducing from 12 and 6, respectively) - and I can't see that expanding.

Oh sure a Cobra Classic catches my eye from time to time, as does another larger Simpson - but the discretionary income reserves keep getting allocated elsewhere so I know those "needs" are really wants that can be satisfied at some point in the future.

8 240
 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
I keep thinking I am content. I've actually sent my short handled Merkurs off to Eskimo (elite razor) to have custom handles replace the default. I'll be doing the same with a few others. But then I see things like the iKon set, the Above the Tie set and I think .... hmmmmm I'd love to try those out.

Soaps, I am pretty content here. I like what I have and am not really looking to expand. If C&S were cheaper .... yeah, I'd get that with the AS, but I'm not willing to spend that much. Most of the soaps I own will get replenished when I run out of one of them but many will just go away.

Brushes ... Pretty content here as well. I'll keep buying LE brushes, but that's it. (I think)

Aftershaves ...... see soaps.

Overall pretty content

129 6,685