12-03-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
It took a while and I've settled down with one SE, one DE, and 7 straight razors. These are constantly rotated and the same one is never used twice in a row. It took about 3 years to get to this stage, and I consider every razor to be the best for me. I don't lust for any new razors. Yes I have a drawer full of the ones I don't use any more.

Cobra Classic/Kai blade
Barbasol floating head/blade of choice
One of the 7 SRs with edges maintained by me

Every shave is great. That's what its all about. each type of razor yields different but dependably good results and I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's a healthy balance that keeps me sharp regarding technique and blade performance.

24 1,151
 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for sharing Gary Smile

... I am particular about what I use in the DE/SE world- partly lust, but more curiousity in the get-go to try something different (been wetshaving almost 2 yrs)

... SR shaving keeps me on my toes since I am very new to this type of wetshaving, but I do like to mix-it-up with using a DE/SE along with the SR , still not quite there to be able to rotate a full SR shave in yet! Blush

9 1,684
 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
User Info
At the end of the month I'll have a full year of straight shaving under my belt. I think it's the best way to shave but every now and then I like to change up for a few shaves. My EJ89L is my favorite DE and I've got several blades that I like to go with it, and I still like to use the old Atra carts once in a while as well.

0 372
 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
I try to use use a straight most days but usually end up using a DE 2 or 3 times a week because it's faster. I also enjoy the change in routine. Which one gives me a better shave depends on what part of my face is involved.

37 2,965
 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
A mix is excellent, I have found a rotation of DE's and a few straights which I enjoy but with the wetshaving industry exploding with new products or restored old ones, its nice to know the future is open should I choose to have fun with other razors.

I think those who started with DE's are more apt to like a mix, the exploratory progression for them seems: DE, SE, Shavettes, then straights.

15 541
 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
User Info
(12-03-2012, 08:45 AM)brothers Wrote: It took a while and I've settled down with one SE, one DE, and 7 straight razors. These are constantly rotated and the same one is never used twice in a row. It took about 3 years to get to this stage, and I consider every razor to be the best for me. I don't lust for any new razors. Yes I have a drawer full of the ones I don't use any more.

Cobra Classic/Kai blade

Every shave is great. That's what its all about. each type of razor yields different but dependably good results and I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's a healthy balance that keeps me sharp regarding technique and blade performance.

What are your 7 straights?

6 808
 12-05-2012, 03:59 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(12-03-2012, 08:45 AM)brothers Wrote: Cobra Classic/Kai blade

That's about the same configuration here

Cobra Classic
Merkur slant
Feather DX
One of my 7 SRs alsowith edges maintained by me

Everything else has found a new home. I like to keep things simple, as you said all other stuff ends up somewhere in a drawer.

27 1,297
 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM
  • Cobre
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I am kind of new to SRs and I'm at the point where I do 2 passes with the straight and a touch up with a Slim adjustable for a BBS

8 153
 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM
User Info
I definitely like to mix things up. My current plan is to use a straight on weekends, or when I'm not pressed for time & then rotate DE other times.

I've only been using straights for 5 months, but can get pretty close with 2 passes. Generally cleanup with a DE, however cleanup has been less and less Smile

191 1,552
 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
That's great Gary! I'm still in the process of figuring out what works best for me. Been dabbling in straights a bit and when I have time I'll usually start with a straight with the first pass then finish up with a DE. As funny as it is the straight that works best for me so far is just a plain jane Dovo.

53 555