12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
It seems every December the Post Office just goes to hell. I am awaiting two shipments and both are taking longer than expected. That doesn't bother me as much as the lack of updates on their tracking page.

Case #1 .... Priority Mail shipment shipped to me on November 29th from Kentucky (I am in Chicago). Notice the acceptance date, notice the expected delivery date, and finally notice where it's gone. I honestly am not concerned about when I get this as there is nothing in the package which I *need* or am salivating for.

[Image: 1z32hd5.jpg]

Case #2 .... First class mail from Milwaukee (90 minutes away) to me. Notice where this has gone, the expected delivery date, and where it has sat for two days. (EGV is the sorting facility for Chicago). I am very much waiting on this package. It's a Joris razor off BST and I am now on 2 days growth waiting to give this baby a whirl.

[Image: 2ni9shx.jpg]

I get it, volume is up in December. Fine. But why can't the tracking / scanning keep up? I'd love to know the first parcel still isn't sitting at the intake facility. I'd also love to know that the second package finally made the 12 mile journey from the sort facility to my post office and it's out for delivery.

129 4,001
 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I've noticed this as well, along with the crowds at the PO itself. I print all my postage online but some packages I still drop off at the PO...either because they won't fit in the chute or I want a drop-off receipt. I had to drop off 3 today and it was packed, I was in line for at least 20 minutes. What amazes me are the people that are there that don't have to be..people buying stamps for instance..there are at least a dozen local businesses here that sell books of stamps at cost for convenience...yet every time I go down there at least 2-3 people in line are there for stamps..they're usually elderly though, perhaps it's just what they're used to doing.

31 1,510
 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
Well item #2 arrived today (a beautiful Joris), but package #1 is still showing as loving the Kentucky scenery.

129 4,001
 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I too have a package coming from Kentucky, although it is first class mailing. Package went from Kentucky to Des Moines, IA, to St. Paul, MN and hopefully here tomorrow. Unless it decides to detour through Chicago or Milwaukee first.

189 26,354
 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(12-03-2012, 01:54 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I've noticed this as well, along with the crowds at the PO itself. I print all my postage online but some packages I still drop off at the PO...either because they won't fit in the chute or I want a drop-off receipt. I had to drop off 3 today and it was packed, I was in line for at least 20 minutes. What amazes me are the people that are there that don't have to be..people buying stamps for instance..there are at least a dozen local businesses here that sell books of stamps at cost for convenience...yet every time I go down there at least 2-3 people in line are there for stamps..they're usually elderly though, perhaps it's just what they're used to doing.

Byron, it's a post office and stamps are, quite obviously, part of a P.O.'s business. If you feel that strongly then use another post office that isn't as crowded or a private carrier such as FedEx or UPS. No one likes to be held up in a long line, and I have been caught behind people buying nothing but stamps, but sometimes that can't be helped. Frankly, when the line is long, I'm thankful for the stamp buyers because they don't take very long and the line moves up.

2 5,000
 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
The stamp buyers could use the freaking stamp selling machines. The post office by me drives me nuts. Never more than two people behind the counter even if the line goes out the door.

129 4,001
 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Quite a few stores I've been in charge more for a postage stamp than the post office does. I don't blame folks for waiting in line at the post office.

116 3,804
 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
User Info
I used a private service one time to ship internationally because I didn't want to wait 10 minutes. Cost me $5 extra. I think I'll wait the ten minutes next time....

And to be clear, it was for the same USPS first class international service.

9 3,072
 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-03-2012, 03:07 PM)Dave Wrote: Quite a few stores I've been in charge more for a postage stamp than the post office does. I don't blame folks for waiting in line at the post office.

I know Food City doesn't charge extra, Staples (Copy/Ship Center) as well only charges face value...or they did the last time I bought some there but that's been about a year. Walmart sells them but honestly that's as bad or worse than standing in line at the post office.Biggrin
Postal carriers usually have some for sale, so you can leave cash in the box or watch for them to drive by and run out to buy some.

Some of the gas stations/convenience stores do charge extra though, but honestly I think I'd rather pay an extra buck or two per book of stamps than drive downtown and stand in line for 20-30 minutes.

31 1,510
 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
User Info
I frequently seem to make the mistake of going to the P.O. on a Saturday, when there are huge families of immigrants doing their endless passport procedures.

258 14,785
 12-03-2012, 03:36 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
So, this is where "go postal" got its name Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-03-2012, 07:15 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-03-2012, 02:58 PM)freddy Wrote:
(12-03-2012, 01:54 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I've noticed this as well, along with the crowds at the PO itself. I print all my postage online but some packages I still drop off at the PO...either because they won't fit in the chute or I want a drop-off receipt. I had to drop off 3 today and it was packed, I was in line for at least 20 minutes. What amazes me are the people that are there that don't have to be..people buying stamps for instance..there are at least a dozen local businesses here that sell books of stamps at cost for convenience...yet every time I go down there at least 2-3 people in line are there for stamps..they're usually elderly though, perhaps it's just what they're used to doing.

Byron, it's a post office and stamps are, quite obviously, part of a P.O.'s business. If you feel that strongly then use another post office that isn't as crowded or a private carrier such as FedEx or UPS. No one likes to be held up in a long line, and I have been caught behind people buying nothing but stamps, but sometimes that can't be helped. Frankly, when the line is long, I'm thankful for the stamp buyers because they don't take very long and the line moves up.

Oh trust me...they can be slow. I just love it when the line is out the door and someone wants to see all of the different stamps that are available. Personally, I want the ugliest stamps possible because they are only going to be affixed to a bill. Biggrin

54 22,140
 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Keep in mind, folks, that the people waiting in line to look for the prettiest stamps waited just as long behind someone else with 20-30 e-Bay orders that they were trying to ship out. I have been stuck behind them, as well.

I'm not saying I don't get frustrated but how about a little understanding around the holidays? Why is your impatience more important than an elderly person's desire to buy stamps? Again, he or she waited in line just as long as you.

2 5,000
 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
Well yes good point but it still doesn't explain why my Priority Mail package is showing still in the original Post Office after 5 days.

129 4,001
 12-03-2012, 09:00 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-03-2012, 02:58 PM)freddy Wrote: Byron, it's a post office and stamps are, quite obviously, part of a P.O.'s business. If you feel that strongly then use another post office that isn't as crowded or a private carrier such as FedEx or UPS. No one likes to be held up in a long line, and I have been caught behind people buying nothing but stamps, but sometimes that can't be helped. Frankly, when the line is long, I'm thankful for the stamp buyers because they don't take very long and the line moves up.

I supposed so, but they could of gotten stamps elsewhere much quicker/simpler. I don't feel strongly about it nor am I upset, I was only voicing my opinion on how it amazes me they don't take advantage of other options and prefer to stand in line 20-30+ minutes for nothing.
I've also gotten behind some ornery stamp people that take up quite a bit of time, wanting to see every single stamp they have, raising stink when they don't have what they want, etc. I just go to a grocery store 1/2 mile from my house and buy a book of stamps and I'm out the door in less than 5 minutes, saves me loads of time and I didn't eat up a spot in line at the PO where tempers are already thinly frayed.

Also, I can't go anywhere else to get my business done as we only have 3 PO's within reasonable driving distance and they're all the same or worse and UPS/FEDEX is way too expensive for shipping smaller items.

31 1,510
 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
User Info
I wonder if those people collect the stamps....

9 3,072
 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-03-2012, 09:23 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I wonder if those people collect the stamps....

If they're that concerned over which ones they get then probably. Even more reason to maybe check online, no waiting in line and a much larger selection. Biggrin

31 1,510
 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
(12-03-2012, 09:29 PM)Arcadies Wrote:
(12-03-2012, 09:23 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I wonder if those people collect the stamps....

If they're that concerned over which ones they get then probably. Even more reason to maybe check online, no waiting in line and a much larger selection. Biggrin

Asking too much of the elderly. Biggrin My grandma doesn't use the computer. She also lived through the depression. Also, I think they want to see it in person.

It's really not all that different than what we do. I think we should cut them a lot of slack.

What's really annoying is the fact that paypal and USPS.com doesn't let me print first class international packages.

9 3,072
 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-03-2012, 09:38 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(12-03-2012, 09:29 PM)Arcadies Wrote:

Asking too much of the elderly. Biggrin My grandma doesn't use the computer. She also lived through the depression. Also, I think they want to see it in person.

It's really not all that different than what we do. I think we should cut them a lot of slack.

What's really annoying is the fact that paypal and USPS.com doesn't let me print first class international packages.

stamps.com is your friend Wink

88 4,233
 12-03-2012, 09:40 PM
User Info
Doug, call USPS customer service aboutht e package going round and round in the sorting facility. Tracking was paid for and you can see it doing nothing. A call will get action. Or it did for me when a LC was shipped inside Tennessee. For 8 days it went round and round a sorting facility to travel a few hundred miles at most. After a call it was delivered next day if I remember correctly.

Folks looking for pretty stamps.... the first I'd ever seen that was the other day. It's a FRIGGIN' STAMP! It's not a floral arrangement or a dress! Good thing I'm RFD and my postman handles most everything for me. Receipts are a day late, but I don't deal with any of that stuff. He also drives right to my door, horn honking to get my attention when I ask him to drive up. Like today. I had too much outgoing for the oversize box at the road.

32 6,609