12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Seeing as I was doing this re-knot project for Dave, he asked if I would be interested in also re-knotting an Ever-Ready F40 handle he had in his possession.

After giving it some thought, mainly did I feel confident enough not to make a pig's ear of someone else shaving brush, I agreed to undertake the project and promised I would be as careful as possible throughout the process...

This is what arrived in the post from Dave...

[Image: 6JTQ7.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle with old knot still in place

[Image: N0oqx.jpg]

Having read previously about re-knotting Ever-Ready handles here, I knew removing the old knot via the "Steam" method Teiste documented here wasn't an option, instead it was a job for a drill and some hand-tools...

A drill press fitted with a correctly sized forstner bit would probably be the perfect tool for removing the knot, but alas I don't own a drill press.

I instead turned to one of my handheld power-drills and a range of drill bit sizes. I began by drilling a series of small holes (1.5mm diameter) through the knot, to my surprise the drill bit passed through the knot (without any trouble) to nothing -- a "large" void exists below the knot, basically the Ever-Ready F40 handle is made (formed) from a "thin" molded wall of "plastic".

I then moved onto a 4mm diameter drill bit to widen a few of the small holes, after that I went with a 12mm diameter drill bit to drill a hole through the centre of the knot...

[Image: uE7pt.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle with old knot after going through the drilling process. Note the handle is inside a cardboard tube, I done this to protect the finish on the handle from the clamping system I was using to hold the handle in position while drilling.

I then moved onto using a combination of an "old" wood chisel and sandpaper to remove the remaining knot (and "glue").

When finished with the knot and "glue" removal I was left with a 21mm diameter knot hole, and a "large" void inside the handle that measured 49mm deep.

I spoke with Dave, confirmed a 20mm 2-Band Finest badge knot from The Golden Nib should fit nicely into the handle. I also asked Dave what year he was born in, as I had an idea on how to give the handle some weight, while at the same time giving it some meaning to him...

[Image: gIX9w.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle de-knotted & 11 "1973" pennies awaiting cleaning

[Image: JtI0E.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle de-knotted & 11 "1973" pennies cleaned, awaiting new knot

When the knot arrived I spoke with Dave once more, this time to nail down the loft height. Dave was happy to let me decide, but did say he would be using the brush with a scuttle (he doesn't face lather)...

[Image: tKta6.jpg]

Ever-Read F40 handle -- 20mm 2-Band Finest dropped loosely into 21mm diameter knot hole, results in 51mm loft.

As I was aiming for a final loft height of 47mm, I would have had to really "force" the knot into the knot hole, not something I wanted to do.

I therefore decided to widen the knot hole by 1mm...

[Image: 4IBIx.jpg]

Ever-Read F40 handle -- 20mm 2-Band Finest dropped loosely into 22mm diameter knot hole, results in 49mm loft.

Looking much better and no "forcing" required to achieve the required loft height.

With the knot now fitting nicely into the knot hole it was time to turn my attention to giving the handle some weight via alternate layers of epoxy and "1973" pennies...

[Image: C8zSv.jpg?1]

Ever-Ready F40 handle -- 4 "1973" pennies "glued" into handle void

[Image: jpvjH.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle -- 8 "1973" pennies "glued" into handle void

With the handle void filled with alternate layers of epoxy and "1973" pennies (8 in total), it was time to move onto "gluing" the knot into position...

[Image: gXI7S.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle fitted with a TGN 20mm Two Band Finest Badger knot -- 48mm final loft height

[Image: xHR78.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle fitted with a TGN 20mm Two Band Finest Badger knot -- 48mm final loft height

[Image: ox1ep.jpg?1]

Final brush spec's:
  • Overall height: 100mm
  • Base: 52mm
  • Loft: 48mm
  • Knot hole diameter: 21mm, widened to 22mm
  • Knot: TGN 20mm 2-Band Finest
I'm a little disappointed I missed the 47mm final loft height I was after achieving, adding the eighth penny to the handle void ultimately cost me doing so, but I believe the 48mm loft height is close enough, plus I think it looks right (scale wise) with the handle.

Fingers-crossed Dave agrees with me and will like this shaving brush once he has it in his hands...

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
(12-03-2012, 01:48 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Seeing as I was doing this re-knot project for Dave, he asked if I would be interested in also re-knotting an Ever-Ready F40 handle he had in his possession.

After giving it some thought, mainly did I feel confident enough not to make a pig's ear of someone else shaving brush, I agreed to undertake the project and promised I would be as careful as possible throughout the process...

This is what arrived in the post from Dave...

[Image: 6JTQ7.jpg]

[Image: N0oqx.jpg]

Having read previously about re-knotting Ever-Ready handles here, I knew removing the old knot via the "Steam" method Teiste documented here wasn't an option, instead it was a job for a drill and some hand-tools...

A drill press fitted with a correctly sized forstner bit would probably be the perfect tool for removing the knot, but alas I don't own a drill press.

I instead turned to one of my handheld power-drills and a range of drill bit sizes. I began by drilling a series of small holes (1.5mm diameter) through the knot, to my surprise the drill bit passed through the knot (without any trouble) to nothing -- a "large" void exists below the knot, basically the Ever-Ready F40 handle is made (formed) from a "thin" molded wall of "plastic".

I then moved onto a 4mm diameter drill bit to widen a few of the small holes, after that I went with a 12mm diameter drill bit to drill a hole through the centre of the knot...

[Image: uE7pt.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle with old knot after going through the drilling process. Note the handle is inside a cardboard tube, I done this to protect the finish on the handle from the clamping system I was using to hold the handle in position while drilling.

I then moved onto using a combination of an "old" wood chisel and sandpaper to remove the remaining knot (and "glue").

When finished with the knot and "glue" removal I was left with a 21mm diameter knot hole, and a "large" void inside the handle that measured 49mm deep.

I spoke with Dave, confirmed a 20mm 2-Band Finest badge knot from The Golden Nib should fit nicely into the handle. I also asked Dave what year he was born in, as I had an idea on how to give the handle some weight, while at the same time give it some meaning to Dave...

[Image: gIX9w.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle de-knotted & 11 "1973" pennies awaiting cleaning

[Image: JtI0E.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle de-knotted & 11 "1973" pennies cleaned, awaiting new knot

When the knot arrived I spoke with Dave once more, this time to nail down the loft height. Dave was happy to let me decide, but did say he would be using the brush with a scuttle (he doesn't face lather)...

[Image: tKta6.jpg]

Ever-Read F40 handle -- 20mm 2-Band Finest dropped loosely into 21mm diameter knot hole, results in 51mm loft.

As I was aiming for a final loft height of 47mm, I would have had to really "force" the knot into the knot hole, not something I wanted to do.

I therefore decided to widen the knot hole by 1mm...

[Image: 4IBIx.jpg]

Ever-Read F40 handle -- 20mm 2-Band Finest dropped loosely into 22mm diameter knot hole, results in 49mm loft.

Looking much better and no "forcing" required to achieve the required loft height.

With the knot now fitting nicely into the knot hole it was time to turn my attention to giving the handle some weight via alternate layers of epoxy and "1973" pennies...

[Image: C8zSv.jpg?1]

Ever-Ready F40 handle -- 4 "1973" pennies "glued" into handle void

[Image: jpvjH.jpg]

Ever-Ready F40 handle -- 8 "1973" pennies "glued" into handle void

With the handle void filled with alternate layers of epoxy and "1973" pennies (8 in total), it was time to move onto "gluing" the knot into position...

[Image: gXI7S.jpg]

[Image: xHR78.jpg]

[Image: ox1ep.jpg?1]

Final brush spec's:
  • Overall height: 100mm
  • Base: 52mm
  • Loft: 48mm
  • Knot hole diameter: 21mm, widened to 22mm
  • Knot: TGN 20mm 2-Band Finest
I'm a little disappointed I missed the 47mm final loft height I was after achieving, adding the eighth penny to the handle void ultimately cost me doing so, but I believe the 48mm loft height is close enough, plus I think it looks right (scale wise) with the handle.

Fingers-crossed Dave agrees with me and will like this shaving brush once he has it in his hands...

Excellent work.

1 2,827
 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
That is a job well done! Very nice work and thanks for the step by step explanation!
I like the idea with the pennies!

5 447
 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Beautiful. Nice touch with the pennies.

I've never done a brush before. I would like to someday so its nice to see these tutorials. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

14 1,177
 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I love the idea of the pennies. He came up with that and I thought wow how incredible. The only thing I don't like about these two brushes is that i haven't gotten em wet yet. Wonderful job Mike and thank you so much for the wonderful job you did on both of those brushes. Thank you!!!

116 3,804
 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike , excellent job! I do use coins too , to add more weight to the handle but I don't clean them , I must admit.
Enjoy the brush , Dave.

86 7,124
 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Nice restore the pennies were a cool touch enjoy Dave!!

115 1,692
 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The pennies were a fantastic idea and I'd have never thought of them. Both are the brushes are beauties and I cannot wait to use them!!

116 3,804
 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
User Info
I use pennies to raise the loft. Biggrin Cheaper than steel washers or anything else I can think of. I suppose I could let some epoxy set, but I'm impatient like that.

9 2,988
 12-03-2012, 04:02 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Gents

Thank you for the "positive" feedback so far, it's greatly appreciated Shy

(12-03-2012, 02:01 PM)Dave Wrote: The only thing I don't like about these two brushes is that i haven't gotten em wet yet...

I'm sorry to say Dave I've let you down today, as the brushes haven't gone in the post as promised (my poor excuse, we currently have a good friend from Brazil staying with us). Without question the brushes will go in the post to you tomorrow (2012-12-04), I will drop them off after I've taken our Brazilian friend to the airport...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(12-03-2012, 04:02 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Gents

Thank you for the "positive" feedback so far, it's greatly appreciated Shy

(12-03-2012, 02:01 PM)Dave Wrote: The only thing I don't like about these two brushes is that i haven't gotten em wet yet...

I'm sorry to say Dave I've let you down today, as the brushes haven't gone in the post as promised (my poor excuse, we currently have a good friend from Brazil staying with us). Without question the brushes will go in the post to you tomorrow (2012-12-04), I will drop them off after I've taken our Brazilian friend to the airport...

Take care, Mike

It's all good my friend. Take your time!!

116 3,804
 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great Job! I'm sure Dave will be more than pleased.

45 3,955
 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
Job well done, Mike. Looks fantastic and such meticulous work.

47 1,270
 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
User Info
Nicely done!

Dave, if you've never used a TGN finest knot, well, it's really nice. I have a 20mm Fan and it's one of my finest brushes.

32 6,312
 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
User Info
Good job on the brush, the end result looks great. I especially like the 1973 penny idea.

63 2,128
 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
User Info
Great job, Mike!! Enjoy the brush.

75 20,884
 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM
User Info
very nice, I like the colors in the handle.

Gary did one for me a while ago that I haven't been able to use too much since I've been testing a few brushes out.

40 5,830
 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Very nice.

12 743
 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
User Info
Beautiful reknot!

5 46
 12-04-2012, 04:59 PM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 10:24 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: very nice, I like the colors in the handle.

Gary did one for me a while ago that I haven't been able to use too much since I've been testing a few brushes out.

Ah, yes. Here is that thread.

http://shavenook.com/thread-my-new-brush...ready-100t

Those are still very good designs in terms of visual appeal.

1 2,827