12-03-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
I was fortunate to acquire one of these (expensive) modern SEs made by Classic Shaving through a trade (the Merkur Vision I won here; Thanks Nook!). I'm excited to give it a try and compare it to my favorite injector razor, the Schick E2, and see if it can unseat the Gem OCMM as my favorite.

Packaging
[Image: XfHVM]

Contents (extra pack of blades)
[Image: mC20a]

Gotta love shiny
[Image: YQien]

[Image: qoLjP]

Curves? Here they are.
[Image: 2048K]

In the hand
[Image: gQiMz]

[Image: BBpFO]

[Image: iMcZc]

Compared to an E2
[Image: V8AAB]

[Image: exNmf]

[Image: 8iGrH]

[Image: PjreH]

31 7,912
 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I recently acquired a Cobra as well, and I have to say that it has surpassed all of my DE razors in terms of overall performance. I don't have any experience with the Schick or other injectors, so I am interested to read about your experiences. Enjoy the Cobra!

102 17,661
 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
User Info
It has an aggressive blade exposure doesn't it!? No wonder it works as nicely as I've been reading.

I'm curious to see how this goes for you. I don't see one in my future (content), but I'm curious nonetheless.

I hope it works for you! Good luck!

Biggrin You sure that wasn't a freebie from WSP or KF? Biggrin

32 6,308
 12-03-2012, 09:45 PM
User Info
Brian, best of luck with the Serpent! Enjoy, but be cautious of those darn sharp blades.

75 20,883
 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-03-2012, 09:28 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It has an aggressive blade exposure doesn't it!? No wonder it works as nicely as I've been reading.

I'm curious to see how this goes for you. I don't see one in my future (content), but I'm curious nonetheless.

I hope it works for you! Good luck!

Biggrin You sure that wasn't a freebie from WSP or KF? Biggrin

I had a chance to try out the Cobra on the tour here and found it to be crazy good! I do use SE from time to time, just to do something different, but with this razor, I would prefer to use it as a daily shaver. Not buying it because of that and expensive blades.

88 4,233
 12-04-2012, 04:01 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I read the Cobra Classic tour thread but because I was in Europe I ordered one to try (because I'm a user of Feather and Kai razors that use the same blades). It was expensive (postage and custom taxes where very high) but worth every cent.

It has ended any desire to obtain other DE razors, I've sold all mine (old and new, except for a Merkur Slant).

@beartrap: I get about 15 shaves out of a blade so it's not that expensive IMHO (and you can strop the blades for even longer use).

27 1,294
 12-04-2012, 05:10 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
One of the best shavers I have ever owned. Sold mine months ago because I wanted to use only DE razors. IMHO the Kai blades are better then the Feathers.

100 12,436
 12-04-2012, 05:21 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Congrats thats a beautiful razor. Hopefully one day I will get to try one.

45 3,955
 12-04-2012, 05:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The only thing keeping me from owning one is the cost of the razor. It would look good in my stable of Schick Razors.

173 23,484
 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM
User Info
Shave #1: 04 December 2012

[Image: mvuuw]

Chuck Norris was once bitten by a King Cobra. 5 horribly painful days later the Cobra died. Chuck Norris, I am not. The Cobra did bite me but also amazed me with how easy a shave I got. The weight and width of this razor along with the different angle needed did not allow me to be blood free on my first use with the supremely sharp Feather Professional blades. No styptic or alum was needed to stop the flow of red, just a few cold water splashes. Still I am not daunted and I'm confident that with further use I'll get the angle dialed in. The handle was not any trouble as I initially thought it could be.

31 7,912
 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
There's much hype about it's bite, but I I found the Cobra was easily tamed. The trick IMO (and also a pro rather than con) is to be cognisant of it's wide mouth which at first makes some contours of the neck more difficult to navigate, but once you adjust it's a faster shave and with less passes (given the extra real estate it covers).

Definitely worth the investment and deserving of chronicling your experiences with it so others might realise it's merits too.

Also had me thinking, "What would Chuck Norris shave with... ?"

91 17,795
 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Brian! Continued success.

75 20,883
 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
Your first shave on it sounds like my first shave on it. I figure if you have a good impression anyway, it will click for you soon like I described.

9 166
 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-04-2012, 04:01 AM)Snuff Wrote: I read the Cobra Classic tour thread but because I was in Europe I ordered one to try (because I'm a user of Feather and Kai razors that use the same blades). It was expensive (postage and custom taxes where very high) but worth every cent.

It has ended any desire to obtain other DE razors, I've sold all mine (old and new, except for a Merkur Slant).

@beartrap: I get about 15 shaves out of a blade so it's not that expensive IMHO (and you can strop the blades for even longer use).

Well, you may be getting 15 shaves, I don't Smile

88 4,233
 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I tend to think the Kai blades are a bit milder than the Feathers - both however provide a very smooth and very efficient shave.

The Cobra is my personal favorite of every razor that I own. R41 closeness combined with Weber DLC smoothness.

29 466
 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
User Info
So my Cobra Brethren, where do you get your Kai blades from? Where's the best deal?

31 7,912
 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
http://shearintegrity.com/category/kai-c...azors.html

The above courtesy of a post by Slantman. This is by far the cheapest that I've found for the Kai Mild's last I checked, they only offered UPS shipping at $14 a pop for me in PA USA!

I ordered then from Razor Blades and More and got David's usual great service.

The Kai's are indeed milder as the name states but for me, I'm finding that I need something in between Kai Captain Titan Mild's and the Feather Professional's in my Cobra. I want to try the Kai Sharps. I haven't found any feedback on them so far.

(12-04-2012, 11:39 AM)Samjax Wrote: I tend to think the Kai blades are a bit milder than the Feathers - both however provide a very smooth and very efficient shave.

The Cobra is my personal favorite of every razor that I own. R41 closeness combined with Weber DLC smoothness.

(12-04-2012, 12:55 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: So my Cobra Brethren, where do you get your Kai blades from? Where's the best deal?

6 905
 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
Hmm, sounds like this might be about as good a time as any to order from RB&M so I can also pick up some Dr. Selby.

31 7,912
 12-05-2012, 03:54 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(12-04-2012, 11:28 AM)beartrap Wrote: Well, you may be getting 15 shaves, I don't Smile

When I started using the Feather/Kai blades about two years ago with the Feather razors I could only manage about 4-5 shaves out of a blade, as time passed by and I got better at it that increased to more then 3 times as long. So all is not lost for you Wink

27 1,294
 12-05-2012, 05:43 AM
User Info
Shave #2: 05 December 2012

[Image: LYCez]

Had a blood-free shave today. Not quite as smooth in a couple spots around my chin but that's user error as I learn to maneuver the wider blade. My neck, which is usually a problem with many razors was surprisingly easy this morning. I did take the blade out and hand strop it last night. I think that may have helped smooth it out a bit, but maybe not. Who knows?

31 7,912