12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I called LAFCO NY (Santa Maria La Novella) and I talked to its manager regarding the Santa Maria La Novella shaving cream.I was wondering if the ingredients/formulation have been changed , and Im afraid , they have been changed.Also I asked if Ludovico Martelli was behind the making of this cream , and the person who spoke with me told me no , its not.I asked him who is the new maker , and he say that "Santa Maria La Novella" is making this new cream (I don't know what to think about that).

The new formulation is :

Water, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Coconut Acid, Mirystyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Eucalyptol, Fragrance, BHT, Camphor, Menthol, Allantoin

As we can read , no more lanolin , and its formulation seems to be very "basic".I also asked regarding the new scent , and it seems to be a muted one , or less stronger than the old one.

86 7,123
 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
Well, I have never tried the old Santa Maria Novella formulation (although I have the old Omega w/ lanolin, they say it is similar), and probably I'll never try this new one. The price tag and the overall ingredients list doesn't look very appealing to me... Tongue

2 5,527
 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-04-2012, 09:53 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Well, I have never tried the old Santa Maria Novella formulation (although I have the old Omega w/ lanolin, they say it is similar), and probably I'll never try this new one. The price tag and the overall ingredients list doesn't look very appealing to me... Tongue

Seriously : a RazoRock shaving cream cost 5 times less than new SMN and the ingredients looks better , specially on the S. Maria cream.

86 7,123
 12-04-2012, 10:06 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's to bad I've never tried SMN but probably never will now. That's a basic list of ingredients for the price tag. What would they be thinking taking Lanolin out? They can't argue cost given the price they charge.

45 3,955
 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
User Info
Hmm, I purchased a sample of SMN about three weeks ago and my initial thought was it was "OK". I bought the reformulated Proraso the following week and I immediately thought it was the exact same thing.

I haven't developed an attachment to either, but when I can buy two tubs of Proraso for the same amt as a sample of SMN - I know which way I will go

8 240
 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-04-2012, 12:21 PM)Tim_McD Wrote: Hmm, I purchased a sample of SMN about three weeks ago and my initial thought was it was "OK". I bought the reformulated Proraso the following week and I immediately thought it was the exact same thing.

I haven't developed an attachment to either, but when I can buy two tubs of Proraso for the same amt as a sample of SMN - I know which way I will go

Where did you get that sample of SMN? at LAFCO?

86 7,123
 12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
Gary's Sample Shop, over in the B&B forum.

8 240
 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM
User Info
I'd been milling this over, giving this a try as everything I'd heard about it was it was special. I guess its not... Bummer

Some of you will likely laugh at me right now, and thats ok I dont mind! Biggrin Somewhere early on reading around the forums, I seem to remember tell of a fancy cream that was like, made by the monks/sisters of such and such monastary in the hills of some country in Europe to an unchanged centuries old recipe, blah blah blah. For some reason I thought it was SMN.

I dunno if I was reading one of those silly, sarcastic posts, or it was the description on the actual website, or what, but I know it sounds silly. But that little nugget is stuck in my memory, and I'd love an answer to what it is, if its not SMN like I thought. Anyone?

4 253
 12-05-2012, 10:23 AM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 09:55 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 09:53 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Well, I have never tried the old Santa Maria Novella formulation (although I have the old Omega w/ lanolin, they say it is similar), and probably I'll never try this new one. The price tag and the overall ingredients list doesn't look very appealing to me... Tongue

Seriously : a RazoRock shaving cream cost 5 times less than new SMN and the ingredients looks better , specially on the S. Maria cream.

So, do you recommend the S. Maria from Razorock instead of the new SMN?

10 605
 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 09:42 AM)Teiste Wrote: I called LAFCO NY (Santa Maria La Novella) and I talked to its manager regarding the Santa Maria La Novella shaving cream.I was wondering if the ingredients/formulation have been changed , and Im afraid , it have been changed.Also I asked if Ludovico Martelli was behind the making of this cream , and the person who spoke with me told me no , its not.I asked him who is the new maker , and he say that "Santa Maria La Novella" is making this new cream (I don't know what to think about that).

The new formulation is :

Water, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Coconut Acid, Mirystyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Eucalyptol, Fragrance, BHT, Camphor, Menthol, Allantoin

As we can read , no more lanolin , and its formulation seems to be very "basic".I also asked regarding the new scent , and it seems to be a muted one , or less stronger than the old one.

My take on this, Teiste Smile

Proraso has been reformulated this year by L Martelli to a less strongly scented version, that IMHO performs better than the old Proraso.
SMN is still made by L Martelli, and part of the ingredient IS Green Proraso.
Since L Martelli no longer makes the old version, SMN has to accept a reformulation or they will have to change to another maker of their cream.

Thus the new SMN will be without parabens, just like the new Green Proraso, smell slightly more muted, just like the new Green Proraso and may or may not have lanolin in the formula.

I think I figured this one out Tongue

22 5,044
 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-05-2012, 10:23 AM)HoracioAR Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 09:55 AM)Teiste Wrote:

I havent tried the new SMN shaving cream , but the S Maria I had and its another great shaving cream offered by RazoRock/Italian Barber , and much cheaper than SMN (but a lot more)

(12-05-2012, 10:42 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 09:42 AM)Teiste Wrote: I called LAFCO NY (Santa Maria La Novella) and I talked to its manager regarding the Santa Maria La Novella shaving cream.I was wondering if the ingredients/formulation have been changed , and Im afraid , it have been changed.Also I asked if Ludovico Martelli was behind the making of this cream , and the person who spoke with me told me no , its not.I asked him who is the new maker , and he say that "Santa Maria La Novella" is making this new cream (I don't know what to think about that).

The new formulation is :

Proraso has been reformulated this year by L Martelli to a less strongly scented version, that IMHO performs better than the old Proraso.
Since L Martelli no longer makes the old version, SMN has to accept a reformulation or they will have to change to another maker of their cream.

Thus the new SMN will be without parabens, just like the new Green Proraso, smell slightly more muted, just like the new Green Proraso and may or may not have lanolin in the formula.

I wouldn't be surprised , my friend , if this is the case.

86 7,123
 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
User Info
(12-05-2012, 03:22 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(12-05-2012, 10:23 AM)HoracioAR Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 09:55 AM)Teiste Wrote: Seriously : a RazoRock shaving cream cost 5 times less than new SMN and the ingredients looks better , specially on the S. Maria cream.

I havent tried the new SMN shaving cream , but the S Maria I had and its another great shaving cream offered by RazoRock/Italian Barber , and much cheaper than SMN (but a lot more)

(12-05-2012, 10:42 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

The new formulation is :

I wouldn't be surprised , my friend , if this is the case.

Then should one grab an old formula before they are gone? Please advise.

Michael

24 276
 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Michael , I do like the old SMN with lanolin , but others seems to find it average , or the same than Proraso. I will get it , but , what can I say? Maybe getting RazoRock S . Maria would be a better and cheaper option (alongside a good boar brush).

86 7,123
 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
User Info
(12-05-2012, 05:46 PM)Teiste Wrote: Michael , I do like the old SMN with lanolin , but others seems to find it average , or the same than Proraso. I will get it , but , what can I say? Maybe getting RazoRock S . Maria would be a better and cheaper option (alongside a good boar brush).

I agree with Tesite.

SMN with the Lanolin is great - but only 5% better than my new green tube of Proraso.

I will buy S. Maria next time and totally skip SMN.......I will keep the SMN pot/container and buy 2 pots of S. Maria and scoop it into the huge 250 ml SMN pot.
SMN does feel too similar to Green Proraso, especially since they now all of sudden tell people they reformulated it - what a weird coincidence since Proraso has also been reformulated 3-4 months ago.

I tell you all it stinks of the fact that Proraso and SMN are both made at the same plant by Martelli - and that a plant can not afford to have separate bowl for producing their shaving cream , one for the old formula and one for the new formula - it's far too expensive and economically inefficient.

So they tell SMN that they are reformulating the SMN cream, and POW! SMN now tells their customers that they have reformulated it, and that it is still made by monks at a monastery in Italy to keep the loyal SMN customer in the dream that all SMN are made the old traditional way by monks in kilts with big sticks stirring in a huge pot of boiling shaving cream Rolleyes I don't think so Tongue Wink

I still have 80-85% left of my huge SMN pot, so I can still enjoy it for years to come, since I own 50 shaving creams - but the day this SMN pot is empty, I will buy 2 pots of S. Maria and transfer it to the SMN pot since I like to have pots with screw on lids.

YMMV

22 5,044
 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Monks are great making beer , but I dont know about shaving creams.
Nuns , in the other hand , make the Opaline after shave lotion in France , which is well regarded among wet shavers.

86 7,123
 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
User Info
I knew I wasn't nuts about the monks in the monastery!!! No one acknowledged I asked that, so thanks Claus for mentioning it. What a load of you know what, huh?

4 253
 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 10:06 AM)tgutc Wrote: That's a basic list of ingredients for the price tag.

MdC is also pretty basic, and people go batty over that. (Rightly so, I might add.) Basic isn't always a bad thing.

5 46
 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
User Info
(12-06-2012, 09:22 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I still have 80-85% left of my huge SMN pot, so I can still enjoy it for years to come, since I own 50 shaving creams - but the day this SMN pot is empty, I will buy 2 pots of S. Maria and transfer it to the SMN pot since I like to have pots with screw on lids.

YMMV

I'm guessing by the time that day comes, RR S.Maria will either be reformulated or there will be something even better.

Look at all the artisans popping up lately, producing such wonderful products.

with 50+ soaps and creams in your rotation and 2/3 a SMN jar left, that thing will likely outlast all of us Wink

I never got to try SMN and only tried Proraso Tube when I first started shaving, so can't compare the 2.

But I agree with your hunch and feel they are the same product or darn near and SMN is not worth sourcing out at this point and time.

8 2,718
 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-06-2012, 03:07 PM)Shavely Manden Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 10:06 AM)tgutc Wrote: That's a basic list of ingredients for the price tag.

MdC is also pretty basic, and people go batty over that. (Rightly so, I might add.) Basic isn't always a bad thing.

Yes , very true. However Martin de Candre success not only relies on the top quality ingredients used on its formulation but how the soap is made and "cured" after.

86 7,123
 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
User Info
I think I might know who's making the new SMN... I should inquireBiggrin

Monks make amazing bear... I'm a huge fan of the trappist beers

3 315