12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
User Info
I picked up a FaTip Grande a while ago and just didn't care for it. I didn't like the short handle for it so I used my OSS handle and that was a disaster. Several nicks and razor burn. I shelved the idea of a Joris.

Then Obie posted a too good to be true price on a Joris and after a couple PMs where he assured me it was a better shaver than the FaTip despite the same head, I purchased it.

[Image: IMG_1820.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1822.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1819.jpg]

All I can say is Obie was right. I used this two days in a row now and while I cannot go to a third day on my skin, this razor was a joy to use. The light weight of the handle left just the right amount of pressure on my face. This is as close to a straight razor shave I can imagine (yes I have the modern R41). Every single whisker being cut sang its own song.

Yesterday it was paired with L'Occitane Cade as I find it very easy to get a proper lather and it has great skin nutrition. Today was Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. Another fantastic shave.

As always when trying new razor I used Personna Reds, but next go round will be a Blue Lab.

129 6,685
 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That's a nice find Doug. If I were using DE razors, I would own one of these.

173 23,558
 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I own the Joris and have owned the Fatip and the Cadet OC. I have kept the Joris and let the others go. The Fatip and Cadet are great buys and excellent shavers; but I think the Joris pretty much sets the standard for "smooth & close" open combs at the present time.

For me, it represents, along with the Weber - some of the best shaves avaiable from the new razors being built today.

The Joris and my 1920 Gillette Big Fellow Old are very hard to beat in the smooth OC category.

29 466
 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 01:31 PM)Samjax Wrote: I own the Joris and have owned the Fatip and the Cadet OC. I have kept the Joris and let the others go. The Fatip and Cadet are great buys and excellent shavers; but I think the Joris pretty much sets the standard for "smooth & close" open combs at the present time.

I have both the FaTip and Cadet and both will be going up on BST shortly as will my Gillette Old (replated).

While the Joris does not have the look of the "modern" stainless razors, I find the look to be royal and it just screams high class. The Royal Rosewood Handle, Palladium combo over at Royal Shave has also caught my eye.

129 6,685
 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Although I never used a Joris your review Doug tells me its one great razor. The build quality looks second to none. Congratulations and happy shaving.

100 12,451
 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 01:31 PM)Samjax Wrote: I own the Joris and have owned the Fatip and the Cadet OC. I have kept the Joris and let the others go. The Fatip and Cadet are great buys and excellent shavers; but I think the Joris pretty much sets the standard for "smooth & close" open combs at the present time.

For me, it represents, along with the Weber - some of the best shaves avaiable from the new razors being built today.

The Joris and my 1920 Gillette Big Fellow Old are very hard to beat in the smooth OC category.

Where is the difference compared to the fatip?
Just the handle length and weight or the heads are not 100% the same?

6 808
 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM
User Info
The heads look very very close. Different and much more even plating. The color is definitely not chrome on the Joris I am thinking palladium. Also the overall fit of the head just seems better.

Very close though although I find the shave of the Joris better and easier to achieve.

129 6,685
 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I too find the Joris more refined and perhaps for that reason much more comfortable than the FaTip.

The FaTip is like a basic little Fiat, while the Joris has all the style of a Lamborghini...

You are right Doug, the Joris heads are palladium... Quality all the way!

91 17,884
 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Are these aggressive razors like the R41?

173 23,558
 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
I'd put it a notch more aggressive than the current r41. Could be that I am still learning the Joris.

129 6,685
 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-05-2012, 06:27 PM)wingdo Wrote: I'd put it a notch more aggressive than the current r41. Could be that I am still learning the Joris.

More aggressive??? Damn! Hard to believe really.

88 4,233
 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Hmm. Now I'm sure I want one. I've been thinking about owning a Joris for quite a while.

Perhaps Mrs Claus could assist?

47 1,382
 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
(12-05-2012, 07:25 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(12-05-2012, 06:27 PM)wingdo Wrote: I'd put it a notch more aggressive than the current r41. Could be that I am still learning the Joris.

More aggressive??? Damn! Hard to believe really.

I have not used a more aggressive razor than this. That said it is not harsh. The handle while light is the perfect balance for the head. No pressure at all and it's a very smooth shave.

129 6,685
 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I haven't found the Joris to be as aggressive as my 2012 R41.

The Joris shaves you close and it's very smooth. You can shave with it without a whole lot of paranoia...the R41 on the other hand, requires a good amount of attention, particularly when going ATG, or you're going to get bit.

All in all...if I had to have just one razor, I certainly wouldn't complain if it was my Joris.

29 466
 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
(12-05-2012, 08:50 PM)Samjax Wrote: I haven't found the Joris to be as aggressive as my 2012 R41.
The Joris shaves you close and it's very smooth. You can shave with it without a whole lot of paranoia...the R41 on the other hand, requires a good amount of attention, particularly when going ATG, or you're going to get bit.

+1 i would have to agree that it is not as aggressive as the R41 which is almost blade on skin contact; i found it to be very effective, but too uncomfortable for an ever-day shaver. The Joris is quite aggressive, but not as much as the R41 and much more comfortable. Doug, you may want to look at the palladium swirl handle. Possibly the most beautiful DE handle i have seen.

75 20,884
 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
User Info
Maybe I've just gotten used to and better with the R41. After my first couple uses I put it away for 6 or 8 months and always called it a butcher. I took it out a while back and my technique was much better and now it or my slant is my go to single pass razor.

It would be awesome if I could get to the point where I could use the Joris as my daily shaver.

Yup the swirled palladium is beautiful. I am torn between it and the rosewood palladium combo handle. One will have to go on the wish list.

129 6,685
 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM
User Info
Congratulations on your Plisson / Joris Razor Smile
I love mine !

Regards,
Eelco

0 303
 12-07-2012, 04:41 AM
User Info
You rarely see Joris/Plissons come up for re-sale, and there's a good reason for that - experienced shavers love them and keep them.

I'd describe the Joris/Plisson as aggressive and efficient, while the R41 is just plain harsh. I find no difference in shaving quality between the Joris/Plisson and Fatip. I own three J/P's and two Fatips, which I use with big BRW and UFO Kaiser handles.I prefer my Fatips to the other SS razors (Tradere, etc.). The big handles make the Fatips look very macho while the F/P's are beautifully elegant.

66 692
 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I used my Joris this morning and added a couple of shims just for grins. Oddly enough, it really didn't add much to the shave - if anything - it may have made it a bit on the harsh side.

I'm guessing that the Joris is pretty much dialed in already - and after experimenting with several blade gap/blade angle combos, Joris got it as right as it could be for the type of shaver they wanted. I tried shimming the Pils as well...didn't really seem to make all that much difference, although I wish that it had.

The Slant on the other hand, along with the Feather, 89s and the Weber, all seem to have a positive improvement via the shimming process.

Blade choice however - and various pressures - continue to be a consideration with the Joris.

29 466
 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
And now my first Joris complaint.

Thursday I popped a different blade in and proceeded to shave. I thought ... "wow this is mild". I then switched to the other side and it was so freaking aggressive. It seems that as with other razors which just use a pair of bumps coming down from the top plate, it is pretty easy to move a blade around and get different exposures. I could even set it up so the blade was off center making the blade uneven on a single side (well both sides but uneven on EACH side).

Now I haven't really noticed this issue on my Merkurs or Mühles, and of course iKon uses a bar and not the posts so there isn't any wiggle room at all. It just struck me as poorer craftsmanship on a rather expensive razor.

That complaint aside, I still really like it.

129 6,685