03-24-2012, 04:22 AM
User Info

Received my BGS2012 in brown horse today, and put it through the ropes real quick....

Nothing different than any other new brush, shampooed, test lathered and photographed Cool Out of the box it does have some funk to it, but nothing too bad, and it should fade quickly.

I was pleased at how soft the brush felt, Phil is correct in his observation in that it does somewhat remind me of Simpsons Best badger, however with more of the splay type feel and pattern you would find in a boar; its very much a nice hybrid of boar and top grade badger in my summation.

The generous backbone the brush has to offer for as tall of loft as it does is quite amazing indeed; it dug into my puck of Harris Lavender with ease even though it was just freshly shampooed.

I used a bowl to stir up a nice, extremely rich lather with very little ease, the brush offers quite excellent flow, I can only imagine its performance once it hits my face today, for face lathering. I did find it hard, however to scoop up my lather out of the bowl as the brush just dumps it back on the walls while trying to pick it up.

I will be looking forward to shaving with it later on today, and can't wait to see how it does with face lathering.

0 652
 03-24-2012, 04:48 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You will not be disappointed. These are excellent brushes. I am ready for a butterscotch (hint Phil).

100 12,445
 03-24-2012, 04:50 AM
User Info
(03-24-2012, 04:48 AM)slantman Wrote: You will not be disappointed. These are excellent brushes. I am ready for a butterscotch (hint Phil).

Butterscotch and White Badger, sign me up lol!

0 652
 03-24-2012, 06:20 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
There is a hand with the thumb down at the title of the post,Sodapopjones...does that means that you dont like the brush? Because I have read what you have wrote and it seems you do...Huh

86 7,123
 03-24-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
(03-24-2012, 06:20 AM)Teiste Wrote: There is a hand with the thumb down at the title of the post,Sodapopjones...does that means that you dont like the brush? Because I have read what you have wrote and it seems you do...Huh

Oh I didn't even realize, I like the brush indeed, I must have missed clicked something.

Feel free to fix that for me. Cool

0 652
 03-24-2012, 07:46 AM
User Info
Just one shave in, I'd have to call this brush a new favorite.

9 166
 03-24-2012, 08:08 AM
User Info
I agree, the Beehive LE natural horse hair is a great brush. I have only one shave with mine thus far but share much of your initial impressions about the brush.

Does this mean that you will share your billing as poster boy for Omega with Vie-LongBiggrin

29 1,731
 03-24-2012, 09:37 AM
User Info
Tried the brush (natural horse hair) for the 3rd time today with MWF. Great lather, great shave. I really like the brush. Great job Phil.

Love to see a butterscotch with a slightly longer loft.

2 697
 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
  • PDB
User Info
Thanks for the review, I have been wondering about horse hair. I will probably pick one up next.

0 31
 03-24-2012, 02:12 PM
User Info
(03-24-2012, 08:08 AM)ridgerunner Wrote: I agree, the Beehive LE natural horse hair is a great brush. I have only one shave with mine thus far but share much of your initial impressions about the brush.

Does this mean that you will share your billing as poster boy for Omega with Vie-LongBiggrin

Well, I would have to buy quite a few more before I share billing lol...

0 652
 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM
User Info
I came home last night and this brush was in the mailbox. This morning I gave it a brief soak (Less funk than my other Vie-Long brushes) and lathered some Tabac. The beehive handle is just a great handle to grip and the size of the BGS2012 is perfect, I think. Not too big, not too small. The natural horse hair has a nice contrast with the handle and has nice soft tips out of the box with just a little scritch, that I like. The handle alone, is worth the price, the knot just makes it a steal!

6 230
 03-24-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
The first run on my face was quite successful, I spent less time loading on the puck of Harris then most brushes I use and almost had enough lather for 3 passes; next time I will swirl the same amount of time as I normally would.

Its soft on the face for sure, splays similar but not quite like a boar, not as springy as two band badger, but softer indeed...

For $42 this is a promising brush, for those boar users that are skeptics of badger, this brush will push them over the edge by far; those 2 band users might rethink spending as much money as they do...

I kind of wish I had the badger/horse mix brush as well, I'm sure that brush is killer.

0 652
 03-24-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
I'm torn between the pure horse and the horse-badger mixture. Thoughts?

(I'm a face latherer and usually use soap if that helps.)

12 1,243
 03-25-2012, 01:07 AM
User Info
(03-24-2012, 08:38 PM)insomniac Wrote: I'm torn between the pure horse and the horse-badger mixture. Thoughts?

(I'm a face latherer and usually use soap if that helps.)

I wouldn't see why the brown horsehair wouldn't be a bad choice for you, it does do wonderfully on the face with some scritch and it literally ate the puck of soap up; no problem.

I personally lean more towards badger, but wanted to give this brush a go and had absolutely no regrets; I just think the mixed brush would indeed be killer.

Do you normally use tall or short loft knots? I do notice because of the shape and height of the brown horse it might feel larger on your face than you're used too.

0 652
 03-25-2012, 03:59 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm debating between the badger/horse and the horse brush. Never had a badger/horse mix

116 3,804
 03-25-2012, 05:12 AM
User Info
Wow, there is only 4 brown horse hair brushes left....

0 652
 03-25-2012, 07:42 AM
User Info
(03-25-2012, 05:12 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Wow, there is only 4 brown horse hair brushes left....

I think you mean 3 Cool

12 1,243
 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM
User Info
I just had to comb mine out today, while its not the end of the world and only took a few seconds, its worth noting.

0 652
 03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
User Info
Got mine today.

Brush has a pretty strong "funk" to it, reminiscent of the Vie-Long boar I briefly owned. Went through two soaks in warm water + dishwashing detergent, currently sitting in some Godrej lather (for the lanolin.)

Handle seems nice, feels solid and comfortable to hold. The brush is certainly attractive, and in the natural brown stands out amongst badgers and boars (both natural and dyed.)

12 1,243
 03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
User Info
I used the brush for the first time tonight.

I face lather, and used it on my current soap - Cella. It did a very good job picking up soap, had a surprising amount of backbone, and had great flow - definitely not a lather hog. The resultant lather was of high quality, and since this was my first time using this brush on soap, I'm pretty happy with that.

The regiment I used to clean the brush (a combination of dishwashing detergent, Godrej, and some other creams) got rid of most of the funk. There's a little left, but honestly not much.

One thing I noticed about this brush, that I noticed with my other Vie-Long, was that it doesn't have a lot of 'splay' when initially wet. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't do a good job at delivering lather, but it did a great job. I'm not sure how much this brush will bloom, probably not as much as a badger, but for face lathering I prefer a smaller area so I can be more precise (read: not get lather all over my earlobes.)

Overall I'm pretty happy. I did not like my first V-L - a cheap boar that Phil doesn't sell anyway - but this seems like a definite step-up and a brush that would be welcome in any rotation.

12 1,243