12-04-2012, 02:27 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
My step dad wants to get back in to shaving with a DE. He has been using cartridge razors, but continues to use his boar brush and cake soap. He loves that portion of it, but the wants to use a DE because he enjoys them more, but started realizing the blades were getting harder to find. He also maintains a full beard. My mom said he touches up the top along his cheeks, and keeps his neck clean. That's all the shaving he does.

My Mom is looking to me for suggestions, but I don't maintain facial hair, and I've only been DE shaving for about 6 months or so. Can you guys give me any suggestions to give to her? I want her to knock it out of the park, but honestly I don't know if its easier for him to go with an open comb or a straight bar. I'm trying to put together a little kit to make it nice and easy for her. He loves his boar brush so maybe we add him a new boar, a blade sampler, and a new DE razor. I'd like a 3 piece in case he wants to change the handle I could help him with that. I've honestly been looking at the Cadets, but not a whole bunch of people are talking about them. I don't know how aggressive they are, and again the OC, etc. Not to mention BGS has some great little kits with the Cadet to make it real simple for my Mom. And the Cadets are right in her price range. I'd suggest my DE86, but really the more I use it, the more I hate the handle on it.

Sorry to ramble, but help is appreciated gentlemen.

14 1,177
 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The Cadets are pretty aggressive (at least to me). The DE86 is a good suggestion but you could also go with a DE89 Octagonal as well or a Barley. Both are those are much easier to hold onto than the stock DE89 handle (or 86 or 87 handle)

116 3,804
 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
Well.....
I purchased a DE 89lined for my dad for Christmas (haven't given it to him yet) He maintains a full beard, as do I in the winter months.

I also have been using an Identical DE 89lined for a few months now. I like it a lot! and I am glad it was my first de razor is 30 years. It is MILD. But it forces you to hold it at the proper angle or it simply doesn't' cut. Not a bad thing in my opinion when transitioning from a multi blade that requires pressure. Maybe that's just me.

Tonight I finally tried out my new Cadet tp-27 closed comb. I like it better than my DE 89 . It is still mild but not nearly as confining as to the angle that it will cut at. It also has a handle that simply does not slip whatsoever in my hand but it is also longer than the DE 89 and that I am not as fond of but YMMV. I can also sense where the blade is a little easier while shaving up to my beard. But not nearly as well as my new Fattip open comb but which is much more aggressive than either of the closed combs.

I am still happy I got my dad the DE 89lined. I will probably go ahead and get him a Cadet closed comb as well in a few months though. After I'm pretty sure has gotten back into the swing of things about not using pressure.

Not sure if it is any help but that's my 2 pennies.

6 1,224
 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
Well as to blades, sampler packs are suggested for his reentry into DE Shaving.

As to the Cadets, the Open Comb models are on the slightly aggressive side. I have sensitive skin but the OC head still works fine.

You can go with the Cadet Excalibur TP-26 with the open comb.
It has a good looking grippy handle that will work with the EJ head.

http://shaveabuck.com/cadet-razor-three-...p-784.html

[Image: yhst-16445739206724_2237_39369712]

1 2,827
 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
  • TonyN
  • Lawrenceville, GA US
User Info
The Cadet that Gary recommended is a good option or an EJ DE89 Barley along with a blade sample pack. Up until about 1 1/2 years ago I had a full beard and still used a DE on the neck and cheeks.

I hope your dad likes what ever you pick out!

1 430
 12-04-2012, 05:55 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Awesome gentlemen. Thanks for your suggestions. I can start to point my Mom in the right direction.

I also have a DE86 and a 34c. He could always try one of them if my mom doesn't hit it square on the mark. I just worry about the 34c being too short, but I love the 34c. Hell he could try any of mine. My Super Speeds, or my Krona or my Tech. I bet I could ask him what he used to own, and even that might help point me in a better direction.

Thanks for your suggestions. If you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to throw it out there.

14 1,177