12-05-2012, 10:57 AM
User Info
Hi Gents:

Yup, this is the real deal - a Morris & Forndran 2XL brush made with genuine Rooney Finest hair (w/"Finest" printed on the handle)! It has a 29mm knot, 52mm loft and a 45mm high handle. Is it light and fluffy and will it caress your skin lovingly? It will not!

The tips are soft and the density is high. Under use, that backbone really comes to life and can irritate sensitive skin, so you will want to use it in nice, soft, gentle circular motions.

Why am I mentioning all of these "negatives"? Because I want you to know exactly what you're buying. It is very likely going to be the stiffest badger brush you've ever owned.

On the other hand, the workmanship is wonderful, the knot is beautifully shaped and the tips are nice and white. You will also notice that the white tips of the hairs are longer than on other 2-band brushes.

I am selling this brush because I also own its "big brother" and don't need two of them.

Your price is $295, which includes conus shipping. I will ship outside the US at my cost. SOLD

66 692
 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
User Info
It is lovely. Unfortunately, neither my face nor my wallet can afford it.

GLWTS!

31 7,912
 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
User Info
vocalistbob,

I'm fairly new to brushes and seem to have sensitive skin, which is what drew me to your post. That aside, I don't understand how a brush, though it can last decades, could seem to have such a high price. Would you mind explaining to me so I can get a better feel for how it all comes together to be at such a high purchase?

By the way, it really is a lovely brush. True to word white tips and a lovely white handle. I wonder if there is a look-alike in the $20-range out there that would suit me.

2 127
 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
PM sent.

183 12,002
 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
User Info
(12-05-2012, 12:01 PM)HiFromAfghanist Wrote: I'm fairly new to brushes and seem to have sensitive skin, which is what drew me to your post. That aside, I don't understand how a brush, though it can last decades, could seem to have such a high price. Would you mind explaining to me so I can get a better feel for how it all comes together to be at such a high purchase?

Hi Matt - the reason this brush is so highly (and accurately) priced is because of the hair grade. Rooney (and M&F) Finest hair is one of the most highly sought-after hair grades among brush collectors. It is also no longer made. While other brush makers use the designation "finest", the Rooney "Finest" is unique to Rooney, and, more and more, becoming true collector's item.

If you can, Google "Rooney Finest" or search the various shaving forums. You will find a lot of discussion about it. Note: my response is not to discuss the merits of the Finest grade, but just how it is valued within the community.

72 1,407
 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
User Info
As an indication of how highly valued this hair is, I have a sale pending - less than two hours after I listed it.

66 692
 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
User Info
(12-05-2012, 12:15 PM)jpakstis Wrote:
(12-05-2012, 12:01 PM)HiFromAfghanist Wrote: I'm fairly new to brushes and seem to have sensitive skin, which is what drew me to your post. That aside, I don't understand how a brush, though it can last decades, could seem to have such a high price. Would you mind explaining to me so I can get a better feel for how it all comes together to be at such a high purchase?

Hi Matt - the reason this brush is so highly (and accurately) priced is because of the hair grade. Rooney (and M&F) Finest hair is one of the most highly sought-after hair grades among brush collectors. It is also no longer made. While other brush makers use the designation "finest", the Rooney "Finest" is unique to Rooney, and, more and more, becoming true collector's item.

If you can, Google "Rooney Finest" or search the various shaving forums. You will find a lot of discussion about it. Note: my response is not to discuss the merits of the Finest grade, but just how it is valued within the community.

I don't know if I believe that it's no longer made. I think it's release is very limited to help keep it's value. I do believe that it's rare, but not that it's no longer made. It's like diamonds. They really wouldn't be worth what they are if De Beers didn't have the monopoly on them.

Congrats on a quick sale. I know it is highly coveted and the price was very fair IMHO.

31 7,912
 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM
User Info
(12-05-2012, 01:04 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't know if I believe that it's no longer made. I think it's release is very limited to help keep it's value. I do believe that it's rare, but not that it's no longer made. It's like diamonds. They really wouldn't be worth what they are if De Beers didn't have the monopoly on them.

I don't know; either the retailers (like Classic Shaving) or the makers (like Lee Sabini) have said that the Finest is no longer sourced and therefore no longer made and the forum chatter indicates the same. I could certainly see why people would be skeptical, but if you take the statements at face value, it certainly sounds definitive. However, I also take note of that fact that the statements don't mean that it cannot be made in the future, just that they are no longer made as of now.

Anyway, congratulations on the sale and congrats on the purchase!

72 1,407
 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-05-2012, 01:04 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't know if I believe that it's no longer made. I think it's release is very limited to help keep it's value. I do believe that it's rare, but not that it's no longer made.
It's like diamonds. They really wouldn't be worth what they are if De Beers didn't have the monopoly on them.

Agreed, it's a stellar grade of hair and rare, but creating the illusion it's much rarer than it is, keeps demand and prices high. Kind of reminds me of how Classic Shaving seems to keep "discovering" extra old style Rooney's in their stock room in limited quantities for a limited time. (their warehouse is either huge and unorganized or riddled with wormholes) It sets off something primal in those with SBAD, and they usually go into a buying frenzy when they're available.

31 1,510