12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
  • Blair77
  • Bakersfield, California
User Info
I've been clean shaving the dome for about 8 years now. I've never really given much though to prep and post shaving, however.

Since I've discovered this and other sources for shaving I have wondered if any of y'all shaved your heads and if you have any certain routines for doing so? Do you like a specific product for head shaving or do you use the same soap or cream?

Also, do any of you use a straight razor on the noggin?

Thanks, Blair.

0 43
 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
User Info
Blair, i don't shave my head with a razor, but i use an Oster 76. i know some friends who use the same soap and the same razor. It seems to work out very well for them. None of them use a straight as that can get a bit challenging, i believe; it is much easier with a DE. i am sure a few folks who do it will come by soon to help you out further. Good luck if you try the straight, but i don't really see a benefit unless you like challenges. Hee hee.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM
User Info
Hi Blair, I didn't do it for long because I need a tiny bit of hair to insulate my skin from my base metal eyeglass frame, but I did it for a time. If I didn't have the skin reaction I'd still be head shaving.

I used the largest brush I had at the time, and the soap/cream/croap of the day. I began with a SE GEM Featherweight, but soon moved to the GEM OCMM. I shaved the noggin every other day or 3. For prep I did exactly the same as I do for my face... lathering directly on the skin to be shaved. Hmmm, post shave I don't remember anything special, I probably used KFBR since that's my norm, but I just don't remember.

I don't trust a str8 in my hands so I never used one for the job (or on my face), but I know of at least one person who has. But I won't write for him.

What didn't work... I bought some head shave stuff (the name escapes me) same maker as the little roller skate head shave dohickey if I remember correctly. Shave soap works better IMO. I used that product once and then used the superior (IMO) shave software I already had.

32 6,311
 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM
User Info
Head Shaving ?

For me,every morning,7 days a week.I don't do anything exciting,but I shave every day and achieve smooth stumble-free results without unsightly marks or irritation.

Immediately after waking up I do a first pass with a Norelco electric while I sip coffee and read.About an hour later I face shave then shower.While there I apply soap to my head a time or two.....Type of soap really doesn't matter.About 3 minutes into my hot shower I do the 2nd pass head shave with an L series Stick Shick Injector Razor directly beneath running water against the grain wherever possible.

I have found single edge blades to be superior to double edge blades,GEM,Ever-Ready and Shick razors are all quite effective.

7 414
 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Another head shaver here.

I do shave every two days , or every other day , and I use multi cartidge razors (Wilkinson) and , lately , I have been using RazoRock Lube , which is an excellent product for shaving (and as a pre shave).Other times I just use a brush and a soap/cream.I recently have used the Omega 48 boar brush , which is also very good to make and apply a good doses of lather on the head.The Semogue 2000 works too , but any brush over 25 mm knot will do.

I have shaved in the past with DE , but it takes me longer , and I dont have the patience for that , to be honest.I only tried once with SE (Ever Ready) and I dont want to remember it...blood all over my forehead...Multi cartridges better and faster.I have a razo pit to sharpen the multiblade razor , and I have been shaving with the same blade for the last 4 months , but that's another topic.

86 7,124
 12-06-2012, 05:13 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I shave my head every other day. I use either Barbasol in a can or Razorock Shave Lube. I actually prefer the Barbasol. The RazoRock is nice but it takes a large amount each shave for me to complete my shave. I use the Gillette Gaurd for a razor which is an amazing head shaver. They are available at Westcoastshaving.com and ItalianBarber.com I've also used a Trac II and other carts but they don't even come close to the guard in my opinion. The guard is a one blade razor that doesn't get clogged. you could actually complete an entire head shave with out rinsing the blade out.

45 3,955
 12-06-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
I've been shaving my head for the past 12 years. I shave it every day Monday through Friday, then usually not on weekends.

I use a straight on my face but not my head. It's a DE for the head on most days. I shave both my face and head at the same time after I shower. Post shave I use the same routine for the head and face. First alum, which stays on while I do my cleanup. I then rinse my head and face with witch hazel. I then apply an after shave balm to my face but not my head.

I have found that the fastest and most practical way to shave my head is with a Mach 3, which I sometimes use if I'm short on time. While I can say that a straight or a DE gives me a better shave on my face than a cartridge razor, I can't say that about my head. My Mach 3 does as good a job on my head as any DE in less time and with less likelihood of cuts.

37 2,973
 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
  • Blair77
User Info
[quote='tgutc' pid='143226' dateline='1354799638']
I shave my head every other day. I use either Barbasol in a can or Razorock Shave Lube. I actually prefer the Barbasol. The RazoRock is nice but it takes a large amount each shave for me to complete my shave. I use the Gillette Gaurd for a razor which is an amazing head shaver. They are available at Westcoastshaving.com and ItalianBarber.com I've also used a Trac II and other carts but they don't even come close to the guard in my opinion. The guard is a one blade razor that doesn't get clogged. you could actually complete an entire head shave with out rinsing the blade out.
[/quote

I am going to have to look into the Guard. Sounds like the perfect head shaving tool.

Thanks for all the replies!

0 43
 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I'm bald, but don't shave. I just use clippers every few days. Have any of you guys tried the Headblade? I've always wondered about that as it seems like it would be very intuitive, like running your hand over your scalp. The guard does look interesting.

14 1,177
 12-06-2012, 08:25 AM
  • Blair77
User Info
I have heard about it from other guys in my area. Honestly, they've all involved blood. Haha. Of course, they may not be using it properly.

I think I will try it one of these days. I am, however, a little scared.

0 43
 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
(12-06-2012, 08:07 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: I'm bald, but don't shave. I just use clippers every few days. Have any of you guys tried the Headblade? I've always wondered about that as it seems like it would be very intuitive, like running your hand over your scalp. The guard does look interesting.

The Headblade usually generates controversy on traditional shaving forums.If a user sticks with it and learns it well it is as good an option as any and for efficiency and speed I believe it may be the best.The "official" Headblade cartridge is a triple blade,however Atra type double blade replacement cartridges work quite well and can be found at a very reasonable price at Drugstores like CVS.

Although I've been using the Shick injector lately,the HeadBlade's my go to head razor especially in the shower.

7 414
 12-06-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
I shave my head clean every other day.

Gillette Guard razor
Either RazoRock Lube, Shave Gel or a Shaving Oil
Always finish with some RazoRock A/S wax

3 315
 12-06-2012, 06:29 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(12-06-2012, 05:51 PM)razorx Wrote:
(12-06-2012, 08:07 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: I'm bald, but don't shave. I just use clippers every few days. Have any of you guys tried the Headblade? I've always wondered about that as it seems like it would be very intuitive, like running your hand over your scalp. The guard does look interesting.

The Headblade usually generates controversy on traditional shaving forums.If a user sticks with it and learns it well it is as good an option as any and for efficiency and speed I believe it may be the best.The "official" Headblade cartridge is a triple blade,however Atra type double blade replacement cartridges work quite well and can be found at a very reasonable price at Drugstores like CVS.

Although I've been using the Shick injector lately,the HeadBlade's my go to head razor especially in the shower.

The fear of cutting myself to bits is exactly why I haven't shaved my head as of yet. Well that and my wife likes the fuzz. It seems as though out of most mentioned the guard would be the most friendly for trying out the first time. The Headblade just seems so natural, but with those wheels on it, I could definitely see how it could get away from you and do some damage.

14 1,177
 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Been shaving the ole cranium in one form or another on and off for 30 years. Right now I've got a mohawk. Which means I have to do some tricky moves with a mirror to stay on my lines. As for the shave part I pretty much use the same prep, lather, post shave routine I use on my face except I use a Shick Quattro on my head. The pivoting blade is much easier to deal with than a DE. Usually 1 pass with touch ups....In the summer I shave my head mostly every day. In winter I only shave before gigs... If it has more than 4 days growth, I'll bring it down with electric clippers 1st, then shower/shave.

I had a headblade set up once. I liked to have bleed myself out. My head looked like the zombie apocalypse...lol. I gave it away after a couple weeks.

5 1,151
 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
At least every other day... I was going every day; however, about this time in the school year I am dragging in the morning. I don't have the energy or time to shave the dome after 4-5 hours of sleep every morning.

My weber razor has kind of fallen into a go to role of head shaving.

0 253
 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
User Info
Headblade... the blade on a roller skate... that was the head shaving "lather" product I tried that didn't work worth a hoot! Orangey mustard yellow plastic container.

Razorx, have you tried a ClogPruf? Just curious, not writing a book.

If I had had my wits about me when I shaved my buzz cut off the first time I'd have used it. Instead my first head shave was with a Featherweight and I didn't know... I clogged the razor seems to me now. I thought I was dulling the blades. I went through ALOT of blades that first shave. It had to be clogging. Man, was I a maroon! But I just didn't trust me and anything more aggressive than a Featherweight on my noggin that first time.

After I realized it was much easier to shave the head than the face I quickly (next head shave?) moved to the OCMM. I don't know that I ever tried the ClogPruf, but it seems an obvious choice now.

32 6,311
 12-08-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
(12-06-2012, 09:07 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Headblade... the blade on a roller skate... that was the head shaving "lather" product I tried that didn't work worth a hoot! Orangey mustard yellow plastic container.

Razorx, have you tried a ClogPruf? Just curious, not writing a book.

If I had had my wits about me when I shaved my buzz cut off the first time I'd have used it. Instead my first head shave was with a Featherweight and I didn't know... I clogged the razor seems to me now. I thought I was dulling the blades. I went through ALOT of blades that first shave. It had to be clogging. Man, was I a maroon! But I just didn't trust me and anything more aggressive than a Featherweight on my noggin that first time.

After I realized it was much easier to shave the head than the face I quickly (next head shave?) moved to the OCMM. I don't know that I ever tried the ClogPruf, but it seems an obvious choice now.

The original "Headblade Classic" didn't have wheels,I'm not sure they add anything to it's performance.If you look at the original Headblade model it's easy to imagine someone with too much time on their hands saw how easy it would be to quickly drill a small hole through the narrow base and run an axel and wheels from an old HotWheels toy car through it.

The "Head Slick" lather stuff worked fine for me,when I used it up I kept the yellow container and filled it with Rise ShaveGel from the Dollar Store or whatever I've got laying around,cause that's how I roll.

The ClogPruf ? I own one Brian,but haven't used it for face or head shaving mostly because I get hooked on certain razors and like exploring their subtleties ad infinitum.I know the OCMM was just ok up there,the Flying Wing Bullet Tip a very smooth and effective head shaver and the '24 Shovelhead with it's short handle was a pleasure to use.

I've found the opposite to be true,head shaving is more difficult than face,much easier to cut yourself or develop irritation,various curves and locations to be reached and I don't use a mirror.The goal is ultra smooth every day,I check it feeling the surface ATG by hand,no mirror necessary.

Ease of use for me is either a long grippy handle that I keep in my right hand or a short handle that lets the lets your fingers micro-manage the razor's head in a push along fashion (like the '24 Shovelhead) which I use both right and left handed.

I've seen a lot of info on this in various forums,a common thread is that it's cartridges for speed and I agree.I headshave smooth 7 days a week.Different shaver's milage may vary,but I've noted that many headshave every other day or so.

7 414
 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
Been at it about two years. Got into wet shaving because I had decided I wanted to go chrome, and it was taking me 25 minutes to do it with the electric razor. I shaved with a DE for a month before doing the dome the first time. I now shave my head every day when I shave my face. I use whatever razor has the blade for the day. Though I will say the Futur and the Fatip get the nod most days anyway. I was on the cobra tour, and that was on efficient razor. It did the dome in one pass near BBS. The Futur wide open gets close, but usually need a little touchup in the back where it grows fast and dense.

For those of you on the fence. I found, at least in my case that the skin on my head is tougher than my face. I have used blade/razor combinations that tug a little on the face that plow through on the dome. Over the past two years I have cut myself a couple of times, and it doesn't hurt. When I bang my head that leaves more blood and pain.

I shave after a shower, and use mostly sticks(or home sticked soaps) and my brush which has a 30mm TGN finest. For quick shaves I like Speick cream or Trader Joes Mango shave cream and shave in the shower brushless. The Fatip or a SC New work great for the quick shave.

0 103
 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I shave my head every few days using a combination of a DE and a straight.

The DE's I've found to be most efficient for the task (in order) are:

R41
Slant
Ikon S3S
Futur
Ikon Deluxe OC
UK NEW
Slim
Long Comb NEW
Red tip Rocket

I've got some Tradere's coming on loan in a couple of weeks time, so it will be good to see how well they work (or not as the case may be).

32 638
 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
I only shave my head in the summer, winter in Yorkshire is too cold for me. Never tried it with a DE but will next year.

0 87