03-24-2012, 06:47 AM
User Info
My duaghter wants to buy her young man the feather stainless steel razor for an anniversary. But she wants to be sure he will like it.
He likes a mild razor. He has 5 Gillette Techs. He also likes heft. He shaves with a Parker TTO as well.

The Feather.seems ideal for.him. Both hefty and mild. I have heard it.is similar to the Tech in terms of mildness.

How would the Feather STainless compare to a EJ De89?

Thanks for your help

Phil

7 363
 03-24-2012, 06:55 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Phil,

They are both relatively mild. The Feather is an all stainless steel 3 piece razor with a protective coating. Its very expensive and comes in a wooden box. To me its all fluff and no stuff. On the other hand the EJ 89 has one of the best finishes (chrome & resin) of any razor with perfect balance and blade alignment.
Personally since they are both mild I go with the less expensive EJ.

100 12,437
 03-24-2012, 07:31 AM
User Info
recommend that she get the baxter of california razor. nice heft, beautiful finish, mild/aggressiveness you're looking for, comes in a cool box so it'll look special.

4 309
 03-24-2012, 07:41 AM
User Info
If she has the means (and if the guy is a keeper), yes, go with the Feather AS. It's one of my favorites. I can't agree with Slantman: I suppose it is mild, but its mass gives you some extra control even as it adds force to each stroke. So it's mild in terms of blade exposure, but insistent because of Newton's second law of motion. Great gift presentation too, of course. It'll make a great impression.

9 166
 03-24-2012, 08:01 AM
User Info
IMHO between these two razors it comes down to the feel of the razor and cost. I own both and find that both give a mild approach to the shave. As for how the razor feels in my hand with respect to weight, balance, and control I give the nod to the Feather. I prefer the Feather with a Feather Hi-Stainless blade. The EJ 89 is a great razor and one of two that I recommend to anyone interested in starting wet shaving. The presentation of the Feather is more of a class act but you pay for that with the purchase. If the young man has long-term potential like a stainless steel razor then I give the nod to the Feather.

29 1,731
 03-24-2012, 08:17 AM
User Info
another vote for the Feather. i have had a few 89's and a Feather SS, and the feather is the only one that remains.

the EJ89 is something most people can afford to buy and would buy any day of the week, the Feather on the other hand, is an extravagant razor that most (not all) would have a hard time pulling the trigger on.

Feather AS-D1 all the way. in fact, i used it this morning. love it. Tongue

it's an anniversary gift and deserves a touch of class. wood box (not fluff if you ask me), Stainless, perfect balance, perfect blade alignment.

8 2,718
 03-24-2012, 08:20 AM
User Info
I have the Feather AS as well as the Muhle R89 (that is the head on the EJ 89) and by far give the nod to the Feather. If he prefers a mild razor like the Tech, this is the modern equivalent. A wonderfully slick finish, great presentation as an anniversary gift (the wooden box is a real nice touch). It may take him a few shaves to get the most out of it as there is a different shaving angle for the razor (45 degrees vs 30), but I find it gives terriffic shaves even with a couple day's growth. I have allowed a lot of my razors to fall out of the use rotation but the Feather remains.

129 6,685
 03-24-2012, 08:28 AM
User Info
I have no experience with the EJ, but I can highly recommend the Feather. I like a relatively mild razor, with Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows and old classic blades like Light Brigades, and it performs beautifully with them.

183 12,002
 03-24-2012, 11:03 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-24-2012, 06:47 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: My duaghter wants to buy her young man the feather stainless steel razor for an anniversary. But she wants to be sure he will like it.
He likes a mild razor. He has 5 Gillette Techs. He also likes heft. He shaves with a Parker TTO as well.

The Feather.seems ideal for.him. Both hefty and mild. I have heard it.is similar to the Tech in terms of mildness.

Hi Phil

I'm going to throw an spanner in the works here A6 and suggest something else...

While the Edwin Jagger is an excellent (first) DE razor with reasonable weight, I wouldn't call it hefty.

I've heard nothing but praise for the Feather Stainless Steel Razor, though at $180+ it doesn't come cheap, instead I'm going to recommend: Is a 100% stainless steel razor (therefore has good heft), offers excellent value for money at $70 + shipping, provides a first class shave (slightly more aggressive than the Edwin Jagger)...

If the DLC head doesn't appeal, I know Ed at Weber will sell a "custom build" ie ARC head with stainless Bulldog handle.

Just my opinion, but I would stay away from the "classic" handle, length of that handle is perfect for me, but the lack of width really lets it down.

Then with the money your daughter saves, she can either treat her man to some extra shaving supplies or dare I say it, treat dad to something extra special this Father's Day Thumbup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
(03-24-2012, 06:47 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: My duaghter wants to buy her young man the feather stainless steel razor for an anniversary. But she wants to be sure he will like it.

Thanks for your help

Phil

Hope all is well over there in Derry...

AS-D1 compared to EJ89, Hmmm...

The EJ89 is a fine razor in both fit and finish. Beautiful plating and a great razor, but I don't think it's as mild as a Tech. It is the smaller of the 2 razors. The handle is shorter and the head is narrower. I find the EJ89 is balanced very well and is an extremely nice razor, but I don't find it to be quite as mild as a Tech.

The AS-D1 has a matte finish and the quality is unlike any other razor in my cabinet, simply exquisite. The epitome of modern technology combined with modern materials. It has a nicely knurled and slightly longer handle than the EJ89 and the head is wider. The head totally encases the blade where the EJ89 leaves both ends of the blade exposed, this makes the AS-D1 a more comfortable razor for blade changes. The AS-D1 is very, very close to a Tech in mildness but when you adjust for the different angle the AS-D1 leaves the Tech in the dust. I'm particularly fond of a Personna Med Prep blade in the AS-D1.

The presentation of the AS-D1 in the wooden box with the form fit foam is a clear indication of the quality they put into this razor. Not just your average cardboard box. They used to package razors this nicely, but today's packaging is usually reduced to a cardboard box or blister pack.

Considering he likes Tech's so much that he currently has 5, then I'm confident he will love an AS-D1! Think of the AS-D1 as the Bentley of razors in that it is every bit as luxurious as a Rolls Royce but does not compromise performance for the sake of luxury.

0 136
 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM
User Info
(03-24-2012, 07:31 AM)hudson Wrote: recommend that she get the baxter of california razor. nice heft,

(03-24-2012, 11:03 AM)mikeperry Wrote: I'm going to throw an spanner in the works here A6 and suggest something else...

There are dozens of threads here already on what our favorite razors are. Phil's daughter has specifically asked about getting her husband / boyfriend a Feather AS1 as an anniversary gift and Phil is asking how it compares to the R89 heads (EJ specifically).

Not trying to be the thread police, but everyone of us would suggest a different razor based upon "our likes", but that does not answer Phil's question.

The Feather is a wonderful razor with nice heft but not overly hefty and can produce an incredible shave when used with sharp blades like Feather of Kai or some of the Personnas. I wish someone had given me one as a gift.

129 6,685
 03-24-2012, 11:38 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-24-2012, 11:21 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(03-24-2012, 07:31 AM)hudson Wrote: recommend that she get the baxter of california razor. nice heft,

(03-24-2012, 11:03 AM)mikeperry Wrote: I'm going to throw an spanner in the works here A6 and suggest something else...

There are dozens of threads here already on what our favorite razors are. Phil's daughter has specifically asked about getting her husband / boyfriend a Feather AS1 as an anniversary gift and Phil is asking how it compares to the R89 heads (EJ specifically).

Not trying to be the thread police, but everyone of us would suggest a different razor based upon "our likes", but that does not answer Phil's question.

The Feather is a wonderful razor with nice heft but not overly hefty and can produce an incredible shave when used with sharp blades like Feather of Kai or some of the Personnas. I wish someone had given me one as a gift.

I did compare both the Feather & EJ if you read my post.

100 12,437
 03-24-2012, 11:51 AM
User Info
(03-24-2012, 11:38 AM)slantman Wrote:

I did compare both the Feather & EJ if you read my post.

I did read your post. I saw you compared the two. That's why you are not among the posts I pointed out. It was obviously not aimed at you. Biggrin

129 6,685
 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info

you are right I forgot to use the word instead. Get the BOC instead of the feather.

4 309
 03-24-2012, 01:09 PM
User Info
(03-24-2012, 06:47 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: How would the Feather STainless compare to a EJ De89?

Phil, I think that is a spot on comparison.

0 282
 03-24-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
if you go with an EJ, i'd go with a Barley Chrome or if he likes heft, the Chatsworth (chrome one)

8 2,718
 03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
User Info
Thanks for the replies.
I refer to this young man as Fusil for FUture Son In Law so he is a keeper. As I type this they are out looking at houses.
My daughter wants to give him something eternal (like there love, I suppos). The Feather fits the bill. My duaghter just wants to be sure he will like it.
I gave him the Muhle R89 Grande recently and he loves that. So I was asking for a comparison.

I have both a Weber ARC and a DLC on order. The first is for me. The DLC is for a future gift for Fusil. My daughter is aware of this. I have offered to let her give him the DLC. But if she gives him a razor she wants it to be the Feather.

I will let her read these responses. And she can decide.

Phil

7 363
 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
If money were no object I'd go with the Feather over the DE89.

The Feather gives a more comfortable shave that's very close, depending on technique and the blade used. The build quality is better and the feel of the razor is better.

-----

For the record, I'm not one of the people who equate 'mild' and 'bad'.

37 1,731
 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Phil, tell your daughter she can send me one of the Feather SS razors and I will be her Uncle Johnny for the rest of my life?:Smile For the purpose behind it, I think the Feather is the perfect gift.

173 23,488
 03-24-2012, 01:30 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
(03-24-2012, 01:18 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Thanks for the replies.
I refer to this young man as Fusil for FUture Son In Law so he is a keeper. As I type this they are out looking at houses.
My daughter wants to give him something eternal (like there love, I suppos). The Feather fits the bill. My duaghter just wants to be sure he will like it.
I gave him the Muhle R89 Grande recently and he loves that. So I was asking for a comparison.

I have both a Weber ARC and a DLC on order. The first is for me. The DLC is for a future gift for Fusil. My daughter is aware of this. I have offered to let her give him the DLC. But if she gives him a razor she wants it to be the Feather.

I will let her read these responses. And she can decide.

Phil

Phil, sounds to me like your daughter is every bit as much of a keeper as your Fusil! Wink

0 136